Photo

Patch 1.1.1 Performance Report

patch 1.1.1 1.1.1 patch bugs reporting report graphics performance performance issues

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:39

I'm a backer. I've actually been following Ragnar for quite some time before DFC was announced remembering he promised to continue the story.

Unfortunately GOG patch is not up and humble is having a a 3 GB download of the entire game instead of a patch, so you'll have to wait till tomorrow most likely.

Crowboy, I have a feeling that the root cause is the same - an incompatibility between a patch and a saved game.

Can you uninstall and reinstall DFC and try that? It won't affect your saved games.

I had this issue from before the patch. Patch just didn't help solve it. I've tried to play from start. Still crashes...

#22 Vauxi

Vauxi

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:30

you really shouldnt run windows with out a swap file regardless of how much ram you have, and 6gb isnt even that much.

I know I shouldnt disable virtual memory but slowing down a bit faster pc with a slow memory doesn't fit to my brain :D For a last 3 years wich this pc has been running, i've got only three times when memory was run out. All of them occured in this year. :blink:  First was virtualbox running windows xp and clunky software. Second was Company of Heroes 2 wich actually crashed to desktop middle of loading a map :D and lastly this issue. Virtualbox memory usage is limited close to max(windows + virtualbox). I'm willing to buy another set of three memory modules, someday :D

I7 960

64gig ssd

2x hdd

And looks like windows is using 1.5gig after boot, so game has only say 4.3gig before windos tells about low memory?

#23 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1568 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:28

Crowboy, this may help (uninstall from control panel, reinstall) -

http://redthreadgame...oad/#entry44826

#24 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:57

Thanks.

I've tried it once (before the patch) to no success.

I'll try it again post patch, although at this stage I am doubtful.

Not to mention this guy's case is very different than mine.

He had crashes also when starting a new game and was working with 64bit os.

I'd love to hear from RTG about the options I have to play the game (other than installing different OS/replacing the computer altogether which is ridiculous...)

#25 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:08

I know I shouldnt disable virtual memory but slowing down a bit faster pc with a slow memory doesn't fit to my brain :D For a last 3 years wich this pc has been running, i've got only three times when memory was run out. All of them occured in this year. :blink:  First was virtualbox running windows xp and clunky software. Second was Company of Heroes 2 wich actually crashed to desktop middle of loading a map :D and lastly this issue. Virtualbox memory usage is limited close to max(windows + virtualbox). I'm willing to buy another set of three memory modules, someday :D

Turning off swap will only lead to system instability, and nothing in terms of performance. A computer usually runs quite a lot of stuff at the same time as you play a game, and when these things can't be swapped out when the game needs more RAM, random programs, or the game itself, will crash instead. I can't see how this in any way is a preferred solution. You even have an SSD, so I can't see why you don't put the swap file there, if you're so paranoid about swapping.

And looks like windows is using 1.5gig after boot, so game has only say 4.3gig before windos tells about low memory?

Well, yes. When it can't swap anything, there's only so much left, naturally. Dreamfall Chapters may use up to 4GB, which leaves 300MB for everything else, which isn't much.

#26 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:11

For that matter, available RAM will be utilized for file caching. Without swap, there won't be much if anything to use for file caching, which will slow down all your disk usage. -_-

#27 Moses

Moses

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:52

Hi all!

On my PC i have a problem with my video card and it would be great if somebody could confirm if he/she has the same problem

and i don't think it's a problem of my card especially.

So the problem is that my video card or exactly the driver isn't switching into 3d mode.

The frequencys of the GPU und Memory are remaining in 2d mode.

507 MHz for the GPU and 500 MHz for the Memory

In every other game the driver is turning up the frequency to 750 MHz for the GPU and 900 MHz for the Memory

My card is a Amd Radeon HD 4870X2 with the latest legay driver (13.9) for Win7.

I know it's old but hey, it's still working :D

Can anybody confirm this with other cards or drivers? Nvidia maybe?

For me it would explain why a card like a 760GTX have problem to render Europolis correctly because it doesn't run at full speed.

#28 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 November 2014 - 14:57

Well, if you're sure you don't want to use virual memory, then you'll probably need more RAM.

I'd love to hear from RTG about the options I have to play the game (other than installing different OS/replacing the computer altogether which is ridiculous...)

I think they've taken this weekend off. They've been working very hard lately, so I think they deserve that. They may get back to you when they're back at the office, though.

edit:

Hi all!

On my PC i have a problem with my video card and it would be great if somebody could confirm if he/she has the same problem

and i don't think it's a problem of my card especially.

So the problem is that my video card or exactly the driver isn't switching into 3d mode.

The frequencys of the GPU und Memory are remaining in 2d mode.

507 MHz for the GPU and 500 MHz for the Memory

In every other game the driver is turning up the frequency to 750 MHz for the GPU and 900 MHz for the Memory

My card is a Amd Radeon HD 4870X2 with the latest legay driver (13.9) for Win7.

I know it's old but hey, it's still working  :D

Can anybody confirm this with other cards or drivers? Nvidia maybe?

For me it would explain why a card like a 760GTX have problem to render Europolis correctly because it doesn't run at full speed.

I've got a Radeon HD 6870 card, it switches frequency just fine. I take it you're experiencing lag problems in Europolis? What CPU do you have?

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#29 Moses

Moses

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 15:20

khh thanks for testing it on your card.

Then i think the driver is the problem and i don't think AMD will release a new legacy driver soon.

My CPU is a Phenom II x4 940 but to be honest, i didn't play till Europolis becaus of my video card problem.

I wanted to fix that first befor i really play the game.

I only concluded that if not only my card doesn't switch frequency but others too, that would explain some performance issues but you proved it

that maybe only the AMD legay driver has it's issues.

But the old lady is now six years old. Time to buy a new one for Dreamfall Chapters :D

• khh likes this

#30 Vauxi

Vauxi

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 15:28

Oh yes. Problem solved after buying more ram. 18gig now. It should be more than enough. :D

This time I checked memory usage when playing and it is totally around 4.3gig. I'm a bit oldschool and slighly paranoid in matter of swap. But this solved it, at least for awhile.

• Edreamer Jamil and khh like this

#31 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 15:37

I think they've taken this weekend off. They've been working very hard lately, so I think they deserve that. They may get back to you when they're back at the office, though.

From Steam Forums:

Red Thread Games  [autor] 28 Paź - 1:06 
Just FYI, we have a patch coming later this week — maybe Wednesday, Friday at the latest — which addresses performance-related issues and crashes.

We really hope this fixes most of the problems some of our players are experiencing. And we will of course continue to work on any other problems and bugs that may pop up. We are not going to rest until everyone is happy!

Hmm....Maybe it's just referring to steam users' happiness....

#32 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1568 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 02 November 2014 - 19:57

Moses, Europolis is CPU-bound (hence khh's question).

#33 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 02 November 2014 - 20:04

@ Crowboy - Morten has responded to you specifically in other threads. They're not sure why you're having problems. I know that it's really frustrating not having any answers, but I'm sure they mean you, too, in the above post. But the guys have been putting in some serious overtime and it is a weekend. 

I really wish I knew how to fix your problem and I really do hope that we figure something out for you soon. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#34 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 20:21

Call me weird, but if I make a promise, I try to stand by it.

Yeah I'm frustrated. I'm frustrated because most people can now play the game, while I can't play past the first goal of Europolis. I'm frustrated because it's not because my spec is insufficient but because of a software bug. I'm frustrated because Morten hinted that they can't really help me with this issue at this time. I'm frustrated because there's no way I'm going to replace my computer/OS anytime soon.

And mostly I'm frustrated because I didn't  just buy the game. I pledged a very hefty sum of money, which could have allowed me to buy numerous other games, to support the devs, because I believe in RTG. I also specifically and proactively volunteered to help anyway I can to address this issue including providing access to my machine (and as far as I know I'm not the only one having this issue mind you), I've also went out of my way to provide as much data as I can possibly gather, and the end result is - who knows when I'll be able to play book 1 (or 2 for that matter)? Probably when I buy a new machine.

So yeah I'm frustrated.

#35 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 November 2014 - 20:43

First of all, that wasn't a promise. It was a statement at best. And they obviously did not mean they wouldn't rest at all. "No rest" would include sleep, and they'd probably all be dead at this point. And without downtime, they will get burned out. What they said there was that they didn't want to turn their back on the backers, and that as far as practically possible they will keep working on patches until it runs on all supported hardware.

I know that you're frustrated and angry, but they are still working on the game. They are still looking into it. The problem with PC game development is that sometimes problems crop up that you can't foresee, and that are very hard to diagnose and fix. When you experience a strange and rare bug like this it's going to take time to find and fix it.

• Lee-m likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#36 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 20:55

Appreciate your attempts to color this in a brighter tone.

Didn't work though...  :unsure:

By the way, maybe it's just me, I would've made sure every reported show stopper is solved for patch 1.1.1

#37 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2120 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 21:11

Appreciate your attempts to color this in a brighter tone.

Didn't work though...  :unsure:

By the way, maybe it's just me, I would've made sure every reported show stopper is solved for patch 1.1.1

Anyway, crow, you help a lot by giving these detailed information and that is way much than many that have the same bug but don't say a word...

They will find what's going on... and when they do... I am sure that many will be happy about what you have been doing all this time here.

#38 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:27

Crowboy, I may have said this to you before, but anyways..

Seeing as you have a 32-bit OS, and the game is some times crashing for you when loading Europolis, I very much suspect an out-of-memory issue.

On a 32-bit OS, an application has a much lower allocated memory ceiling than on a 64-bit OS.

You can try to implement the memory-fix described in the first paragraph of the Performance/Graphics section of the FAQ. :)

Other than that, I can't say more about your issue specifically at this time, but I do hope that the fix described above may help you get a better experience. :)

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#39 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:18

Morten,

I have tried all those fixes already.

I do believe I said that I experience specific crashes on 1.7GB and 1.3GB of memory usage (depending on location of crash, load Propast or exit The Hand). Way below the maximum of the OS.

Also I see other users with XP 32bit who can run the game nicely with no crash.

No matter how much ram I throw at the game, it always crashes the same way at the same place with the same message. 100% consistent and 100% reproducing. This is not some random memory shortage issue.

Bottom line: are you saying I need to replace my machine to be able to play the game? Like I said earlier, I think that's what you said before and it makes me extremely frustrated!

#40 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:36

No, no. I'm not implying anything of the likes.

I just asked you about the memory fix because I've answered a lot of people and it's hard to keep track. :)

I find your issue very weird, and it's like you say; way below the maximum allocated memory ceiling. This will take time to debug and I can't really promise you anything in terms of when we will have identified the problem and made a fix for it.

Thanks for reporting, though. I'm very sorry this ruins your gameplay experience. :(

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: patch 1.1.1, 1.1.1, patch, bugs, reporting, report, graphics, performance, performance issues

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users