• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kenner

kenner

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:58

I have a 2012 MacBook Pro (16GB RAM, SSD) with an integrated intel HD4000 + dedicated GT650M 512MB GDDR GPUs. 

I have noticed that the game (even with 1.1 patch) runs faster on the integrated GPU! It's almost unplayable on the GeForce, but runs quite fine on the intel GPU (even on high settings).

Is this issue related to the limited amount of dedicated GPU memory on th GT650M?

Also I tried the game in OS X and through Bootcamp - way better performance on Windows :(

#2 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 October 2014 - 13:32

Hmm.. We've also seen this with similar MacBooks in our office.

It is indeed a weird problem that seems to have something to do with the drivers used on these machines.

We're going to need some time to profile the performance on these machines to understand what may be the cause. Sorry for the inconvenience. :(

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#3 Reeger

Reeger

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 14:37

Is it possible the game is actually using the Geforce, even though it seems its using the Intel?

#4 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 October 2014 - 14:57

No, that shouldn't be possible.

However, we've implemented some functionality to default some settings lower when on Intel GPUs. More specifically the Depth of Field is off by default, and the "Awesome"-quality setting is removed. Only when running lower-end Intel GPUs that is. So this may be why you are experiencing better results on your integrated (Intel) GPU than your dedicated one. But there's definitely an issue with these MacBook's GPUs in DFC or the engine itself.

Depth of Field can still be turned on manually, though. As it just gets automatically set to off/disabled when changing quality levels. :)

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#5 kenner

kenner

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 15:40

There's an easy

Is it possible the game is actually using the Geforce, even though it seems its using the Intel?

You can use gfxCardStatus and force your Mac to use integrated or dedicated card. That's how I noticed that the game runs better on HD4000.

• Morten likes this

#6 kenner

kenner

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 16:04

No, that shouldn't be possible.

However, we've implemented some functionality to default some settings lower when on Intel GPUs. More specifically the Depth of Field is off by default, and the "Awesome"-quality setting is removed. Only when running lower-end Intel GPUs that is. So this may be why you are experiencing better results on your integrated (Intel) GPU than your dedicated one. But there's definitely an issue with these MacBook's GPUs in DFC or the engine itself.

Depth of Field can still be turned on manually, though. As it just gets automatically set to off/disabled when changing quality levels. :)

I have played with Visual Options. With the exact same settings the game runs better on integrated GPU :)

• Morten likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: osx, apple

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users