49 replies to this topic

#21 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 20:26

Yosemite seem to have been distributed before optimization and application compatibility...

I have some problem with upgrading some apps in apps store for my proprietor yesterday.

#22 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 October 2014 - 20:32

Hmm.. That's interesting. Thank you for the update.. :)

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#23 Vostrino

Vostrino

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 20:43

hi morten,

i posted the same post on kickstarter thread and posting it here in the off-chance you might read this thread more...

i'm one of the people who buys the game on GOG. considering it's a weekend, i had a plan to explore europolis with a can of cold beer in hand (maybe 2 or 3).

i understand that the GOG patch release on the following week is out of you guys hand... but i'd like toask... can the gog patch be self applied or something or does it have a special gog proprietary code and stuff

i mean... is it possible for you or the RTG teams to upload GOG 1.1 patch on the open internet before monday?

or for example, is it possible to use the humble store GOG 1.1 patch...? will it works on GOG version. it's both drm-free if im not mistaken..

ps: i know there's only like 3 GOG user posting on that Kickstarter 68 update thread at the moment...

but all of us probably would like to spend weekend on europolis (maybe...) :D

#24 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 October 2014 - 20:56

I completely agree that Europolis is best explored with a cold beer at hand (or 2-5 extra as you suggest).

Of course we could in theory upload the patch to somewhere else on the big, bad interwebs, but we're not going to, unfortunately.

I'm really sorry if the patch doesn't get to you guys before the weekend, but it's as you said, out of our hands for the time being I'm afraid. :(

And it's the same with the DRM-free Humble Bundle version; it kind of depends on when the guys at Humble actually do upload it to their servers.

That's basically what makes the Steam publishing-cycle a bit easier to deal with: We upload a new build to Steam, click the good old publish button, and all is good. For GOG and Humble versions we're more or less dependent on another party.  :wacko:

I'm sorry if your weekend isn't filled with as much neon lights and LED-mohawks as you'd like. But we can't really do anything about that other than to apologize that we spent a little more time on the patch than we'd initially like. :)

• agirlnamedbob and blaster like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#25 Vostrino

Vostrino

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 21:05

I completely agree that Europolis is best explored with a cold beer at hand (or 2-5 extra as you suggest).

Of course we could in theory upload the patch to somewhere else on the big, bad interwebs, but we're not going to, unfortunately.

I'm really sorry if the patch doesn't get to you guys before the weekend, but it's as you said, out of our hands for the time being I'm afraid. :(

And it's the same with the DRM-free Humble Bundle version; it kind of depends on when the guys at Humble actually do upload it to their servers.

That's basically what makes the Steam publishing-cycle a bit easier to deal with: We upload a new build to Steam, click the good old publish button, and all is good. For GOG and Humble versions we're more or less dependent on another party.  :wacko:

I'm sorry if your weekend isn't filled with as much neon lights and LED-mohawks as you'd like. But we can't really do anything about that other than to apologize that we spent a little more time on the patch than we'd initially like. :)

awww. RTG should've release the patch on steam on monday. that way everybody's equal (even if GOG gets it on thursday, it's still work day). vive la liberte!

of course don't take it seriously.

im glad you guys at RTG can at least relax on the weekend knowing your current biggest release problem has been solved. congrats~

• Morten and Tina like this

#26 themutiny

themutiny

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 21:23

Yeah, I can indeed confirm that we are experiencing an increased number of issues of this exact kind on Macs running Yosemite.

We really don't know why at this point, but it seems to be something with Yosemite that makes the recent problems even more prominent.  :wacko:

At least it's starting to make sense now......

My Steps:

1. Problem in Europolis on current spec - 
  2. Update OS to resolve
  3. Receive patch based on previous OS which makes matters worse
  4. Get annoyed and post Troll type messages

P.S. I'd still like a fix???

#27 themutiny

themutiny

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 21:33

Yeah, I can indeed confirm that we are experiencing an increased number of issues of this exact kind on Macs running Yosemite.

We really don't know why at this point, but it seems to be something with Yosemite that makes the recent problems even more prominent.  :wacko:

OK - I really wish I had remembered this rather salient point earlier. TBH I ran an earlier version of the software on Yosemite ( i.e. 64-bit), and my fond-remembered performance gains had also disappeared.

Conclusion:

We need a bespoke Yosemite patch....

Don't blame us, blame Apple ;0

#28 johnny_gamble

johnny_gamble

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 06:07

OK, my bad. Frustrated..

FWIW, my spec

iMac 27" 2.8 quad core i5, Yosemite, 8gb 1333 DDR3 ram, Radeon HD5750 1024mb. 

One more point to note. I had forgotten that in an effort to fix this, once I started experiencing crashes I "upgraded" from Mavericks to Yosemite. That seemed to make things worse as well.Tell me I'm not the only Mac user with serious issues - could it be Yosemite - Did you develop using Mavericks?

I'm using Yosemite but am 60% of the way through downloading the update so cannot comment on whether it helped or not. I never ran the game before updating to Yosemite either, so no real way of saying whether it works/doesn't.

One point... I use the Steam version!! When I manually set the resolution to something lower (as suggested by others) this does nothing. When loading Dreamfall Chapters through Steam, it resets the resolution to the lowest 'built-in' resolution when loading the game. If I get the GOG version will this issue magically be fixed?

#29 johnny_gamble

johnny_gamble

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 49 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 08:26

Following up on my last post, the update has SIGNIFICANTLY improved performance. I'm running dverything on the lowest settings and can fluidly move around the big city. Yosemite, i7 (from 2010 in a MacBook Pro), Nvidia GT 330M graphics and 8GB RAM.

Mysteriously the first building I entered was EXTREMELY choppy despite being tiny and containing only 2 persons (plus myself). Not a biggie, but something notable.

Thanks guys!!! I've complained about performance, now time to start saying all the nice things!!
  • Tina likes this

#30 burnsflipper

burnsflipper

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:12

There's a new version on Humble now. I still don't want to start playing if there are more patches planned. Playing v1.1.1 and then having to go back and try 1.2 because it has something neat in would ruin the magic and suspension of belief for me. It wouldn't be a "story", it would be a "game", and thus less magical.

So, when a patch is released can we also be told if another patch is planned?

#31 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:27

I vividly remember Morten saying somewhere on the forum that they don't have a plan for any 1.2 patch right now, at least.

But they will likely tweak and optimize going forward, so small changes in Book 1 may come when Book 2 is released. I have, for instance, heard talk about the journal/goal notifications, that they may look into and slightly change those. Same with the Europolis Crowboy map, since many people (including me) missed the arrow above the map.

So I guess my point is that it will very likely slightly adapt while the next Books are made. But I don't think it's so much that there is any real need to go back and play from the start. The patches are mainly for performance anyway, so more for the people who found it impossible to play the game due to crashes etc. I played the entire game during the early access period, and I don't feel any need to go back and play just because there have been patching done. But I will do it in order to play the second storyline, though.

Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#32 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 01 November 2014 - 12:31

There's a new version on Humble now. I still don't want to start playing if there are more patches planned. Playing v1.1.1 and then having to go back and try 1.2 because it has something neat in would ruin the magic and suspension of belief for me. It wouldn't be a "story", it would be a "game", and thus less magical.

So, when a patch is released can we also be told if another patch is planned?

Obviously, we don't always know when another patch may be required. If big problems pop up, we fix them. If they're big enough, we push out a patch as fast as we can. This is not something we can always foresee or plan for.

In regards to v1.2, we are planning to make one but it will not be released anytime soon — and it won't necessarily make much of a difference for you as a player. If I'm forced to guess, I'd say early-to-mid December for 1.2.

Could there be a 1.1.2? Sure. Like I said, it depends on what happens when players get back to us about 1.1.1. If something needs to be fixed, we'll fix it.

For now, I'd say that 1.1.1 is as good as it's going to get — at least for a while — so it's absolutely 'safe' to play it without worrying about when the next patch is coming.

1.1.1 is now live on Steam and (I believe?) Humble, as a DRM-free download. GOG version will probably arrive on Monday.

#33 FrasierCrane

FrasierCrane

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 01 November 2014 - 14:25

1.1.1 is now live on Steam and (I believe?) Humble, as a DRM-free download.

Windows and Mac version have been updated on Humble, but Linux version hasn't for some reason.

• jlddodger likes this

#34 jlddodger

jlddodger

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE USA

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:08

Has anyone confirmed that the Linux version on Steam is updated or even available?  I have to confess, I just redeemed my Steam key because I am tired of waiting for a native build of the game that I can run on my Linux installation.  Unfortunately, when installing from the Linux version of Steam the download completes immediately having downloaded no files.  I have used "verify integrity of game cache", but it just says everything is fine.  I wonder if a Linux Steam patch is really live.  Also, I wonder if this relates to why HumbleBundle Linux has not updated.  Anybody else seeing this?

#35 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:26

I don't think I've seen actual confirmation from anyone, but I haven't seen anyone using Linux complaining either. Personally I don't have a linux install available ATM, so I can't try it myself.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#36 jlddodger

jlddodger

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE USA

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:52

S'ok.  I have an enormous amount of patience and it mostly works on WINE... mostly.

#37 themutiny

themutiny

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 14:38

OK - I really wish I had remembered this rather salient point earlier. TBH I ran an earlier version of the software on Yosemite ( i.e. 64-bit), and my fond-remembered performance gains had also disappeared.

Conclusion:

We need a bespoke Yosemite patch....

Don't blame us, blame Apple ;0

I did some research and have found that a lot of people with my exact mac spec have experienced serious problems with the graphics drivers, i.e. lines across the desktop and all sorts of nasties, with the Apple 'geniuses' recommending new graphics cards - so I should think myself lucky.

Anyway, fired up the 1.1.1 patch today with zero expectations. Then I noticed the dust specks on the initial screen were floating up smoothly instead of jerking erratically. Encouraged somewhat, I opened up the options screen and found I could navigate smoothly. I changed he options to medium all-round, launched the game and...hey presto, it runs - about 25fps in Propast! I'm sure I was not the intended audience for this patch, but I'm pleased to be able to run the game at last - so thanks RTG!  :)

• Morten and agirlnamedbob like this

#38 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 November 2014 - 15:05

I'm so glad you got it sorted. Out of interest, have you downloaded any Apple Updates in the intervening time which may be the cause of the performance increase, or are you sure it's patch 1.1.1? It would be helpful to know if others experience the same issues down the road.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#39 linuz

linuz

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 10:11

any update on gog version will it be up by today

#40 themutiny

themutiny

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 14:05

I'm so glad you got it sorted. Out of interest, have you downloaded any Apple Updates in the intervening time which may be the cause of the performance increase, or are you sure it's patch 1.1.1? It would be helpful to know if others experience the same issues down the road.

Thanks - I have got it sorted, but it wasn't patch 1.1.1 - that was just a coincidence and I haven't had an Apple update. I'm posting the solution here in case anyone else has the same problem. The problem did indeed turn out to be Yosemite.

Basically it appears the Yosemite graphics drivers fail to engage properly when the machine wakes from sleep, or at any rate they do with my card (ATI 5750) - as simple as that! So my original problem would have been fixed by 1.1 if I hadn't upgraded to Yosemite. For me, I didn't twig because everything else looks OK when it wakes. The answer for me at least is a hard reset, just restart doesn't do it. I noticed this morning that the game was running badly again upon waking, so worked it out from there. I'm on my second run-through now (shitbot vs kidbot the first time).

Love the game!

You can read more here    https://discussions..../thread/6616385

I suspect it is probably more than just my card that is affected, so hope this helps 

• Morten, Tina, agirlnamedbob and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users