49 replies to this topic

#1 burnsflipper

burnsflipper

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:02

It's not clear what version of patch is where. It looks like you've started colour-coding the release platforms but there's no indication of what that means. What does a red "Humble" mean against Windows v1.1?

I recommend a table instead, if different release platforms are on different patch revisions:

OSSteamHumbleGOG
Windows1.11.01.0

Maybe with an indication of the date of when the patches are available for the different platforms.

#2 burnsflipper

burnsflipper

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:06

Additionally, I'd like to know what patches are planned. I've read about serious issues affecting gameplay so far, so I haven't played it. I've waited 8 years to play it so I can be patient some more if it means getting a much stabler/improved/no serious fps lag game the first time I play, so I'll wait until all the patches for Chapter 1 have been released before I install it and play.

#3 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:30

The patch recently released (v1.1) should fix many of the performance- and memory related issues.

I can't tell you about any more patches because none are planned at the moment. Book One might be given another patch, or it might not. We have nothing planned at this stage.

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#4 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:44

And; RTG have released the 1.1 patch to GOG & Humble as well, it's just that GOG+Huble needs to upload/sync/whatever the patch before it is available.

Hopefully they'll do it asap, if it's not done yet :)
  • Morten likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#5 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 13:38

There's definitely no patch up on GOG.

There's definitely no patch up on Humble.

(Uhm, could I actually install a Humble patch on the GOG version...?!)

Again... dropbox option mucho welcome. GOG is notoriously known for delaying patch uploads. :(

Also, no soundtrack. November 1st supposed release date... :mellow:

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#6 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 31 October 2014 - 13:52

Hmm, I thought it was reasonably clear: Green means live, red means not yet live.

I don't know, what do people prefer. A table

OS Steam Humble GOG
Windows 1.1 1.0 1.0
Mac 1.1 1.0.1 1.0.1
Linux 1.1 1.0.1 1.0.1

Or what we've got.

Windows: 1.1 (Steam - Humble - GOG)
Mac OSX: 1.1 (Steam - Humble - GOG)
Linux: 1.1 (Steam - Humble - GOG)

Both posts mention that the patch is expected to go live on Humble and GOG sometime today, though.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#7 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 31 October 2014 - 13:58

Morten, does that mean you're not going to release a 64-bit (Windows) version?

#8 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 October 2014 - 14:51

Not for the time being, no.

Unfortunately we are experiencing more crashes with the 64-bit builds than the 32-bit ones. Which is kind of weird.

But playing a 32-bit build on a 64-bit machine shouldn't really make a difference in terms of the stability of the game.

We'll be sure to update you if we decide to release a 64-bit build in the future ;)

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#9 themutiny

themutiny

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 15:21

Well - moving it to 32-bit has stopped it crashing. It has also made the performance when it doesn't crash even worse. As others have commented, when reducing SSAO makes no perceptible difference to performance, there is something seriously wrong. I may not have the fastest machine on the block, but it was way over both the supplied specifications. I read some complaining about 18fps, I doubt I'm getting more than 3 - i.e. unplayable, and now it's everywhere, at least in Europolis, and thats with everything disabled/on low The main screen from where options are selected was fine before - now even that is a laggy piece of garbage. I'm going to have one more go on a W7 VM, then consign this to the trash. 

#10 jlddodger

jlddodger

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE USA

Posted 31 October 2014 - 15:36

It looked like GoG Linux may have been updated.  It's hard to tell.  I won't be able to check for sure until I get home tonight.

#11 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 October 2014 - 15:45

Well - moving it to 32-bit has stopped it crashing. It has also made the performance when it doesn't crash even worse. As others have commented, when reducing SSAO makes no perceptible difference to performance, there is something seriously wrong. I may not have the fastest machine on the block, but it was way over both the supplied specifications. I read some complaining about 18fps, I doubt I'm getting more than 3 - i.e. unplayable, and now it's everywhere, at least in Europolis, and thats with everything disabled/on low The main screen from where options are selected was fine before - now even that is a laggy piece of garbage. I'm going to have one more go on a W7 VM, then consign this to the trash. 

Regarding the SSAO reduction you're mentioning, it doesn't mean something is wrong:

If reducing SSAO does nothing (framerate or visually), it just means that SSAO is not used in that specific area/scene/camera of the game. There are some cameras/scenes that applies SSAO, and some that don't. Turning SSAO off (menu option) just makes sure that SSAO is turned off where it is supposed to be used.

Are you playing on Steam? Are you sure it has been updated?

It's at least really weird that you're experiencing worse framerates than before, as the performance fixes implemented in the patch are mainly of a "tone stuff down"-nature, and shouldn't result in a worse experience. 

#12 themutiny

themutiny

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 16:59

The only setting that makes any difference at all

Regarding the SSAO reduction you're mentioning, it doesn't mean something is wrong:

If reducing SSAO does nothing (framerate or visually), it just means that SSAO is not used in that specific area/scene/camera of the game. There are some cameras/scenes that applies SSAO, and some that don't. Turning SSAO off (menu option) just makes sure that SSAO is turned off where it is supposed to be used.

Are you playing on Steam? Are you sure it has been updated?

It's at least really weird that you're experiencing worse framerates than before, as the performance fixes implemented in the patch are mainly of a "tone stuff down"-nature, and shouldn't result in a worse experience. 

The only setting that makes any difference is quality, and that's very marginal. I've definitely had the update because I have different options now. Previously I could play quite well up to the point where I gave Rezza his lunch, and then it crashed constantly (perhaps I shouldn't have opted for sausages). I have tried replaying the game from the beginning,where it previously ran fine.  Presumably I have less RAM available now it's 32bit, hence the poor performance. I'm talking unplayable, probably 5fps at best. I'm not sure I'm worse off, but definitely not better. It's bad enough that a game fails to run, but it's even more frustrating to get halfway through, and subsequently having that half taken away. To add insult to injury, the Steam model didn't even give me a choice to "upgrade". If the game were in anyway playable, I would persist, but it just isn't. It is so unresponsive it's well nigh impossible to talk to anyone or do anything - but this issue is present in the options screen even before a game is loaded, so it's not a graphics performance issue since that is a simple screen. There is a fundamental bug which manifests in some systems and not others which you really should acknowledge. I'm sorry but I personally found your response a little patronising at best and at worst downright disingenuous. 

#13 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 17:14

If it arrive on some system, we need your info system don't you think?!

We want to help, but we don't have info about your machine...

#14 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 October 2014 - 17:39

The only setting that makes any difference at all

The only setting that makes any difference is quality, and that's very marginal. I've definitely had the update because I have different options now. Previously I could play quite well up to the point where I gave Rezza his lunch, and then it crashed constantly (perhaps I shouldn't have opted for sausages). I have tried replaying the game from the beginning,where it previously ran fine.  Presumably I have less RAM available now it's 32bit, hence the poor performance. I'm talking unplayable, probably 5fps at best. I'm not sure I'm worse off, but definitely not better. It's bad enough that a game fails to run, but it's even more frustrating to get halfway through, and subsequently having that half taken away. To add insult to injury, the Steam model didn't even give me a choice to "upgrade". If the game were in anyway playable, I would persist, but it just isn't. It is so unresponsive it's well nigh impossible to talk to anyone or do anything - but this issue is present in the options screen even before a game is loaded, so it's not a graphics performance issue since that is a simple screen. There is a fundamental bug which manifests in some systems and not others which you really should acknowledge. I'm sorry but I personally found your response a little patronising at best and at worst downright disingenuous. 

I didn't mean to sound patronizing or anything of the likes. If it sounded that way, I'm sincerely and utterly sorry. :)

Rest assured we are definitely acknowledging the fact that this is an issue. It's just really difficult to find out why this may happen on some systems, while the majority of players are experiencing a rather great performance increase from the new patch. Especially since what the patch addressed was mainly to downscale some performance heavy sections. 

I'm really stumped that you're having such a bad experience in comparison to the pre-patch build. We will definitely look into and address the problem in any way possible, but I'm afraid that I can't really give you any guarantees or estimates on when a fix may be implemented.  :wacko:

#15 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 October 2014 - 17:40

@Morten

Did you Guys sent 1.1 to GOG or you wait untill 1.1.1?

Waiting untill Monday is nightmare :P

#16 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 October 2014 - 18:11

It's sent to GOG, but unfortunately, because of time zones, it might take until Monday for them to upload.  :blink:

Sorry for that.

• agirlnamedbob, khh and Pawlo_86 like this

#17 burnsflipper

burnsflipper

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 18:23

I just received an e-mail from Kickstarter saying the 1.1.1 update will be going to Humble today or soon. How do we know which version it is when we go to download it? The Humble Store doesn't show version numbers.

#18 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 31 October 2014 - 18:35

The version number showing somewhere on the main menu would be nice, I think.

#19 themutiny

themutiny

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 18:36

I didn't mean to sound patronizing or anything of the likes. If it sounded that way, I'm sincerely and utterly sorry. :)

Rest assured we are definitely acknowledging the fact that this is an issue. It's just really difficult to find out why this may happen on some systems, while the majority of players are experiencing a rather great performance increase from the new patch. Especially since what the patch addressed was mainly to downscale some performance heavy sections. 

I'm really stumped that you're having such a bad experience in comparison to the pre-patch build. We will definitely look into and address the problem in any way possible, but I'm afraid that I can't really give you any guarantees or estimates on when a fix may be implemented.  :wacko:

OK, my bad. Frustrated..

FWIW, my spec

iMac 27" 2.8 quad core i5, Yosemite, 8gb 1333 DDR3 ram, Radeon HD5750 1024mb. 

One more point to note. I had forgotten that in an effort to fix this, once I started experiencing crashes I "upgraded" from Mavericks to Yosemite. That seemed to make things worse as well.Tell me I'm not the only Mac user with serious issues - could it be Yosemite - Did you develop using Mavericks?

#20 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 October 2014 - 20:17

OK, my bad. Frustrated..

FWIW, my spec

iMac 27" 2.8 quad core i5, Yosemite, 8gb 1333 DDR3 ram, Radeon HD5750 1024mb. 

One more point to note. I had forgotten that in an effort to fix this, once I started experiencing crashes I "upgraded" from Mavericks to Yosemite. That seemed to make things worse as well.Tell me I'm not the only Mac user with serious issues - could it be Yosemite - Did you develop using Mavericks?

Yeah, I can indeed confirm that we are experiencing an increased number of issues of this exact kind on Macs running Yosemite.

We really don't know why at this point, but it seems to be something with Yosemite that makes the recent problems even more prominent.  :wacko:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users