#41 GistOfSpirit

GistOfSpirit

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3101 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 13:49

Was it a translation?

If it was, it would have to have been made after DF. Are there any official* translations of TLJ that didn't happen until after DF was released?

*Of course, given the issue about Lady Alvane being April, I'm not sure we can call the text in any translation "official".

• wandrew likes this

#42 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:36

I am very late to this thread - but I wanted to add some observations.

1. At the start of Dreamfall when Brian inters the shifting room, there are two monks talking off on the left. If Brian walks over and listens to them, he hears one monk tell the other that Brian well unleash the undreaming. My impression was that this was something the monks wanted to see happen. If the monks knew - so must have Cortez. .Brian comments that he doesn't understand.

2. In the version of TLJ that I first played, there was a section of the dialogue between April and Brian where Brian says that Manny worked to free him from the Undreaming; however, he was not freed until he (Brian) made an agreement with the Undreaming.  Brian would not say what that agreement was. I have not found this section of dialogue in other versions of TLJ.

3. In the dialogue in TLJ both Cortez and Brian refer to the other as a friend.

1. All what they said is that Brian is open and he is a chosen one. The Undreaming will be unleashed and it willl...I'm not sure if those monks wanted to release Undreaming.

2. ERR?

3. Yep. Both Cortez and Brian named each other as friend.

#43 GistOfSpirit

GistOfSpirit

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3101 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 17:55

1. All what they said is that Brian is open and he is a chosen one. The Undreaming will be unleashed and it willl...I'm not sure if those monks wanted to release Undreaming.

It seemed pretty clear they did. I think it was along the lines of "He is open, he is eager, he is perfect". "Perfect" sounds like a word one would use when they describe something positive. Also, if they knew the Undreaming would be released but didn't want it to happen, they'd probably have tried to stop Brian or sabotage the ceremony.

#44 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 November 2014 - 18:16

If it was, it would have to have been made after DF. Are there any official* translations of TLJ that didn't happen until after DF was released?

*Of course, given the issue about Lady Alvane being April, I'm not sure we can call the text in any translation "official".

Yeah, Ragnar has explicitly stated that only the English version is canon. So.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#45 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 12 November 2014 - 06:55

In response to Indrid Cold's earlier post (I am unable to incorporate the post reference), I believe you are correct.   In TLJ,  Brian probably did not refer to the "place in between" as the Undreaming. I remember it that way because of Dreamfall.

• Tiago and April_R. like this

#46 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 14 November 2014 - 20:59

1. Undreaming was never mentioned untill Dreamfall.

2. Storytime/Winter was hinted in TLJ when Cortez said that to shift April must pass "world of dreams".

3. There isn't clear meaning of Dreamfall prologue yet. We don't know WHEN Undreaming was really unchained.

#47 April_R.

April_R.

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationA lake

Posted 17 November 2014 - 06:14

In response to Indrid Cold's earlier post (I am unable to incorporate the post reference), I believe you are correct.   In TLJ,  Brian probably did not refer to the "place in between" as the Undreaming. I remember it that way because of Dreamfall.

Click the 'quote' button in the lower-righthand side of the post you want to reference. 

#48 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:06

Click the 'quote' button in the lower-righthand side of the post you want to reference. 

Thank you. We discovered that the 'quote' button doesn't work in IE 11.

#49 Nomad

Nomad

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 25 February 2015 - 17:31

I think one important thing that no one has mentioned yet in this post (I think) that April is the one who got the watch ticking again. She used the tack she grabbed from the Border House. Brain gave it to her and he stated that is was broken. I think that Cortez and Brian must have discussed something, some plan in the past to let him know that when the watch started ticking again "he would know." He would know that this something or someone was April and involved her. I think this must have set something in motion for Brain. He was stuck living in Arcadia for years waiting for this message from the watch, possibly got depressed and just gave up and began drinking. It would make sense as to why he became such a fighter when the war with the Tyren began as opposed to just giving up.

• Pawlo_86 and Starseeker like this

#50 Njorun

Njorun

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 17 March 2015 - 22:37

I never really got why people suppose the clock is his heart. Yes, I know that the thing stops ticking when Cortez falls down that building, and that it's a very dramatic moment, but the clock had been NOT ticking for, I don't know, centuries? And we could see that Cortez was alive and kicking. I wonder if it has some other meaning.

Maybe the dragon heart in Cortez starts again when the clock is ticking again. Like a signal for the dragon to wake up. And when he falls of the building the clock stops ticking because the dragon (Cortez) dies or becomes dormant again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users