49 replies to this topic

#21 GistOfSpirit

GistOfSpirit

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3101 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 13:28

I've not played TLJ in a while but the way I remember Brian's story (this may be a combination of info from TLJ and DF) was that he met Chavez at an unspecified location during his travels, Chavez told him about Arcadia and how to go there (through Tibet), Brian decided to go but almost died on the way to Tibet and Chavez appeared there again (that wasn't their first meeting) to save him.

I like the idea of Chavez not being Cortez after all, but Cortez himself remembers meeting Brian so I guess that's out the window.

#22 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1357 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:25

Just a side note, Fiona said (it's optional) that Cortez spends his days sitting outside, either reading or smoking.

I had forgotten that!  

• wandrew likes this

#23 MangaEngel

MangaEngel

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:15

Just putting in the room:
I am very sure that Cortez is Chavez.

Not because of what we see after the credits of Dreamfall. Not because of the similiarities in description.

Why was Brian in Arcadia? What is he doing there?

Well, the first impression is "He was curious and went there on his own" or "Cortez told him about it and since they were friends, he offered a description to it"

But it is dangerous for non-shifters, a Kin would know that. The daughter of the white Kin shows in Dreamfall that she knows about the realm of Storytime. So it can be assumed that Cortez also knew about it as a kin, especially since Storytime is NEITHER Stark nor Arcadia, so even if he is clueless about Arcadia, he would know just as much about Storytime as the white kin. So why was Cortez willing to risk the life of a human, a non-shifter, by sending him from Stark over to Arcadia? Especially since we see in the actual TLJ story, that he is compassionate and emphazises a lot with how everything tends to go wrong here and there.

Guys, just think strongly:

What PURPOSE did Brian serve in Arcadia?

Well, Cortez suggests that Brian is responsible for what?
For sending April back home.

How does she do that?
With the clock of Cortez.

What does the clock do (other then sending her indeed back home)?

It stops the very second that Cortez dies.

Cortez didn't send a human in its demise because it was curious. He wasn't sadistic and thus played a game of "Let's see, if he survives". He as the kin knew about what would happen, the trouble that might rise (because prophecies and stuff, like we learned plenty of times in TLJ), that a shifter might have to get to Arcadia to prevent total chaos AND would need help to get back again. So he sends Brian with the extremely important task to Arcadia to - 200, 300 years later - help April get home, so she can continue with her quest.

I would even go further and say:
He gave the clock to Brian and then left it in Aprils possession for one simple reason: to protect himself.

The clock seems to be strongly connected to Cortez, more specifically his life. It reacts strongly and definite about him being dead or alive. And McAllen might have known of the clock (sooner or later), since he obviously dislikes his brother more then everything else. When he captures Cortez, he steals his dragon gem and imprisons him, but he didn't kill him despite the fact that Cortez might, would and finally did show to be an obstacle in McAllens plans (because, if Cortez wouldn't have saved April, then she wouldn't have been able to save Adrian, to convert Gordon to good, etc). Maybe, because the clock has to be close to Cortez to react? Would Cortez have been immortal, if the clock would have stayed in Arcadia? THAT I obviously don't know xD

But I think, that IF Cortez would have had the clock in his possession while being in McAllens custody...he might have died much sooner, leading to him not being able to save April on the roof.

Taken, that the clock is not only of matter to help April shift, but to actually give notice about his life.

I personally think, it is a very important thing about the clock stopping the moment that Cortez dies. It isn't "just" a journal entry, April says it OUT LOUD. Every player will come to hear her say "Cortez clock stopped. Oh, God...his heart! That's what Brian said Cortez called it, his heart", giving the very strong impression that the clock might have mattered a lot more then we thought it did.

And - just as a random thought:
What has April done with it afterwards?

In Dreamfall is mentioned that she couldn't shift back to Stark, that she was trapped in Arcadia. So it is likely to assume that the clock also didn't help with the shifting anymore at this point. It had become a normal clock, only with the difference that it wasn't working. April doesn't have it in her inventory or visibly on her body in Dreamfall, so did she loose it? Or sell it (a BROKEN clock)? Maybe melt the clock and make something else from it?

• Valiah and Rowan37 like this

#24 Rowan37

Rowan37

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationCanada - Stark - 21st Century

Posted 05 May 2014 - 16:35

I've not played TLJ in a while but the way I remember Brian's story (this may be a combination of info from TLJ and DF) was that he met Chavez at an unspecified location during his travels, Chavez told him about Arcadia and how to go there (through Tibet), Brian decided to go but almost died on the way to Tibet and Chavez appeared there again (that wasn't their first meeting) to save him.

I like the idea of Chavez not being Cortez after all, but Cortez himself remembers meeting Brian so I guess that's out the window.

I believe I remember it mentioned that they first met in India, while Brian was but a young and ambitious journalist. I could be wrong though, (someone confirm this).

I really hope to see Cortez in DFC.
  • wandrew likes this
-Rowan "To know everything, to know the whole truth, is dull. There is no magic in that. Magic is not knowing, magic is wondering about what and how and where." -Cortez TLJ

#25 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 July 2014 - 07:58

Chavez IS Cortez. Bonus ending in Dreamfall revealed that Cortez was the one who send Brian to Tibet Monastery and had agenda to unleash the Undreaming. This happend in 1933 so before events of TLJ.

Ragnar said that Cortez is BIG PART of Dreamer Cycle.

#26 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 721 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:30

I believe I remember it mentioned that they first met in India, while Brian was but a young and ambitious journalist. I could be wrong though, (someone confirm this).

Just about to jump in with this. Yes! Brian was journalling in India when he met Manny, THEN he ended up in Tibet, where Manny pulled him out of a snowdrift. Seems like Manny was super keen that he get to the monastery.

#27 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:39

Seems like Manny was super keen that he get to the monastery.

It's not really clear if Brian meets/talks to Cortez before he tries to get to the monastery, or if Brian pulling him out of the snow is the first time he see's him.

If it is the former, then clearly Cortez is manipulating/directing events. If not then it would seem hes just taking advantage of situations. Which kinda has a knock on effect for the whole saga I guess and his role in it.

#28 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:51

It's not really clear if Brian meets/talks to Cortez before he tries to get to the monastery, or if Brian pulling him out of the snow is the first time he see's him.

It's as clear as day.

Cortez:Hello old friend.

Brian:Chavez,what are you doing here?

#29 Dmm

Dmm

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 12:58

We assume that Cortez purpose to get Brian to the monstary was to unleash the Undreaming. This may or may not be true. One thing we know for certain, Cortez gave Brian his watch and that watch was a necessity for April to return to Stark from her first venture to Arcadia.

#30 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 13:13

It's as clear as day.

Cortez:Hello old friend.

Brian:Chavez,what are you doing here?

No it isnt. Brian isnt an 'old freind' to Cortez at that point. Unless you take into acount the whole 'life is a circle' thing. Its all pretty unclear at best.

I guess its at least clear from that, Brian has at least seen Cortez at some point before. I could do with re watching that scene, its been a long time.

#31 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 14:14

I guess its at least clear from that, Brian has at least seen Cortez at some point before. 

.Clear as day that it's not the first time Brian meets Cortez.Better now?

The "old" friend does sound exaggerated.I don't know,maybe Cortez uses it in an endearing manner?

I always thought that Brian and Cortez were,if not friends,at least pretty familiar with each other because of the April-Brian dialogue in TLJ.When they talk about Cortez,Brian says:

.....My old life,back in Stark.We had some exciting adventures,him (Cortez) and i.Actually,he's part of the reason i ended up here.......

The last sentence implies that Cortez was the one that fed Brian the information about Arcadia or he was the one that suggested the trip to Tibet (or both).

• aeonfluxx75 and Starseeker like this

#32 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 July 2014 - 14:15

No it isnt. Brian isnt an 'old freind' to Cortez at that point. Unless you take into acount the whole 'life is a circle' thing. Its all pretty unclear at best.

I guess its at least clear from that, Brian has at least seen Cortez at some point before. I could do with re watching that scene, its been a long time.

If i remember correctly Brian meet Chavez first time in India in 1929.

#33 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 14:20

If i remember correctly Brian meet Chavez first time in India in 1929.

He went to India,when he met Cortez (or Chavez if you prefer),in the early nineteenthirties.So,1931,1932?

#34 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 14:45

The last sentence implies that Cortez was the one that fed Brian the information about Arcadia or he was the one that suggested the trip to Tibet (or both).

I agree 100%. As usual i'm not making my self very clear. The only point I am debating about is, if cortez told brian about stark and arcadia in a previous conversation, and thus knows brian will try going to the monastery (Thus Cortez is in control of manipulating events, and maybe the whole story), or if Cortez is just taking advantage of the situation that exists.

We dont know if the conversation about arcadia takes place at the monastery, or at a time before that. It could be that Brain tracked Cortez down, and asked him about it. Exactly how that meeting first came about, I think has a big impact on whats going on.

#35 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 16:55

Cortez has to be in control of manipulating events.The other alternative you mentioned would be a bit like...weak sauce.

Whether the conversation about Arcadia took place at or before the monastery,i think that what's important is that Cortez is-in my opinion- one way or another responsible for Brian ending up there (the monastery).

I would guess that,how they met for the very first time went like this:

a)It was by chance.Cortez realised that Brian suited his purpose and set things in motion. or

b)Cortez had Brian on his radar,approached/befriended him (like he did with April) and set things in motion.

• aeonfluxx75 and Starseeker like this

#36 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 17:26

Cortez has to be in control of manipulating events.The other alternative you mentioned would be a bit like...weak sauce.

He doesnt have to be, there are all manor of other things that could be going on. He wasnt in control of McAllen was he ? ;P

Whether the conversation about Arcadia took place at or before the monastery,i think that what's important is that Cortez is-in my opinion- one way or another responsible for Brian ending up there (the monastery).
I would guess that,how they met for the very first time went like this:
a)It was by chance.Cortez realised that Brian suited his purpose and set things in motion. or
b)Cortez had Brian on his radar,approached/befriended him (like he did with April) and set things in motion.

and I agree, that is what I think too. Just if we knew the things I mentioned previously, you could ratify it. But we cant :(

#37 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 19:08

I mean he has to be in control of things regarding Brian's story,not all the things that happen in general.

Hopefully,we'll get a satisfactory demystification of those things (and the other frustrating cliffhangers) in Chapters.

#38 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 11 November 2014 - 06:52

I am very late to this thread - but I wanted to add some observations.

1. At the start of Dreamfall when Brian inters the shifting room, there are two monks talking off on the left. If Brian walks over and listens to them, he hears one monk tell the other that Brian well unleash the undreaming. My impression was that this was something the monks wanted to see happen. If the monks knew - so must have Cortez. .Brian comments that he doesn't understand.

2. In the version of TLJ that I first played, there was a section of the dialogue between April and Brian where Brian says that Manny worked to free him from the Undreaming; however, he was not freed until he (Brian) made an agreement with the Undreaming.  Brian would not say what that agreement was. I have not found this section of dialogue in other versions of TLJ.

3. In the dialogue in TLJ both Cortez and Brian refer to the other as a friend.

• Evi and Starseeker like this

#39 GistOfSpirit

GistOfSpirit

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3101 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:11

2. In the version of TLJ that I first played, there was a section of the dialogue between April and Brian where Brian says that Manny worked to free him from the Undreaming; however, he was not freed until he (Brian) made an agreement with the Undreaming.  Brian would not say what that agreement was. I have not found this section of dialogue in other versions of TLJ.

I'm quite sure the Undreaming was never mentioned in any version of TLJ.

#40 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 721 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:22

Was it a translation?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users