#41 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 17:27

XP went 64bit and it was horrible.

0 driver support and many programs not working.

It was quite a nightmare.

So Lee-m, I'll summarize that if I had another viable option, I'd take it.

Right now is either RTG fixes the bug, or I need to replace PC to overcome it which is not an option currently. Most certainly not due to a programming bug.

Personally I don't think anyone should replace/reinstall their OS, just to overcome a bug in a program., which for some people is even more difficult than replacing the PC entirely.

#42 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 17:29

Perhaps rerunning the game, letting it crash and taking a look at the game and windows event logs might shed some light on what's going on here? I have no access to the codebase either but if we can get an error message it could help narrow down the issue at least.

I'll have a look tonight and see if there's anything at event viewer.

#43 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 17:48

Did you try using the /3GB switch in boot.ini, as outlined here? This should work in any 32bit version of XP.

What it does, is to let a program, in this case DFC, use 3GB of virtual memory, which means you may still get some disk swapping with 4GB RAM, but maybe not the memory error you currently see. By default, the max limit is 2GB for an application in all editions of 32 bit Windows.

• Pawlo_86 likes this

#44 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 October 2014 - 17:59

Did you try using the /3GB switch in boot.ini, as outlined here? This should work in any 32bit version of XP.

What it does, is to let a program, in this case DFC, use 3GB of virtual memory, which means you may still get some disk swapping with 4GB RAM, but maybe not the memory error you currently see. By default, the max limit is 2GB for an application in all editions of 32 bit Windows.

It works and can avoid crashes in Europolis but it won't fix framerate issues.

• DiskJunky likes this

#45 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 18:11

No, it's no miracle cure. Hopefully the coming performance patch will increase the framerate a bit.

#46 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 19:45

You can read the original bug report, to see that the problem is not in the maximum allowed memory consumption.

If it takes ~700MB to load Europolis from the previous scene, doing it from save game tries to take about 1.7GB of RAM and then crashes.

Even if I try to play through europolis in one go, I get a similar error once I leave The hand, only this time it tries to allocate only 1.3GB in different chunk sizes.

#47 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 19:55

Nothing on event viewer.

• DiskJunky likes this

#48 Blubi

Blubi

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 21:06

I hope that patch fixes the errors in the German version too, when not all at least some.

#49 Toff

Toff

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 28 October 2014 - 22:05

I'll have to look it up my self. It doesnt seem that steam has a feature for selecting a version, or even picking what exe it runs.

Yes, it does, if the devs add it:
wRcKPZ0.png
  • Mixthos likes this
If our children today don't have any dreams, we creators are guilty for not giving them dreams. We are culpable. We must create a dream to leave behind for the sake of our children.
-Hideo Kojima-

#50 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 28 October 2014 - 22:18

Yes, it does, if the devs add it:
<snip>

ah handy. Never seen that before.

#51 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 28 October 2014 - 22:19

I've seen it when choosing which DirectX version of a game you want to launch.

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#52 jlddodger

jlddodger

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE USA

Posted 28 October 2014 - 22:25

Hey, is there or is there going to be a public change list somewhere.  I am having trouble keeping track of what bugs have been fixed in which builds and what is currently available.

#53 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 28 October 2014 - 22:33

In the first post, they said they'll post "proper patch notes" when the patch is released.

• Pawlo_86 likes this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#54 jlddodger

jlddodger

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • LocationLincoln, NE USA

Posted 28 October 2014 - 22:45

Sure enough.  Thanks!

#55 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 23:35

I would guess they are posted here, or at least very much linked from here soon after. No worries!

#56 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 00:00

My game on GOG says Updated, but all i can see is the Win installer, same 2.9 G size. Is version 2.0.0 the patched version?

#57 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 October 2014 - 00:02

My game on GOG says Updated, but all i can see is the Win installer, same 2.9 G size. Is version 2.0.0 the patched version?

The patch isn't live yet, as far as I know. That's probably the previous update, when they fixed graphical glitches on Linux and Mac.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#58 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 00:04

The patch isn't live yet, as far as I know. That's probably the previous update, when they fixed graphical glitches on Linux and Mac.

Ok, thanks.

#59 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:27

When installing an updated GOG game (or from Humble), do I just blindly download it and install it in the same directory as the previous version? Sometimes Windows likes you to uninstall a previous version to clear things out, but this would all be taken care of with the GOG installer, right?

#60 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:59

When installing an updated GOG game (or from Humble), do I just blindly download it and install it in the same directory as the previous version? Sometimes Windows likes you to uninstall a previous version to clear things out, but this would all be taken care of with the GOG installer, right?

It's the installer creator's responsibility to deal with eventual uninstalling during install.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users