#1 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 00:44

POPULAR

It's been almost one week since launch, and that week has been a real roller-coaster. We've had a ton of positive feedback on the story, the atmosphere, the art, the gameplay and the game world — and some constructive criticism when it comes to performance and stability. Thank you all for your passion, your support and your feedback so far. It has been very helpful and encouraging, and we really appreciate it. 

We've also taken it all to heart — the good and the not-so-good — and the team has been hard at work squashing bugs, optimising the art and improving the code. 

Last week we patched the Linux and Mac versions to fix some ugly shader bugs — and this week we're patching all platforms to increase overall performance. 

Version 1.1. of Dreamfall Chapters will be ready for internal testing tomorrow, Tuesday. If the testing goes well and nothing major pops up, we should be able to have the patch out on Wednesday. If not, then Thursday or Friday — but this week for sure. 

We will also post proper patch notes to let you all know what's been fixed and what's changed. In the meantime, the highlights are:
  • Windows 64-bit version. We hope this will fix a few of the memory-related problems some players have been reporting. 
  • A rare bug where players get a black screen when entering certain locations in Europolis. Currently, a reload usually fixes the problem, but there is now a permanent and proper fix. 
  • General performance. We've done a lot of visual optimisation to reduce draw-calls and to improve frame-rate. 
  • Added visual settings to allow players to tweak depth-of-field effect and shadow draw distance. 
  • Gameplay optimisation, mostly for non-player characters, to reduce CPU load. 
  • Some tweaks to the choice and consequence system, to better visualise when things change based on your decisions.
  • There are more fixes and changes in patch 1.1. and once it goes live, we will post the patch notes.
In the meantime, we want to thank you all for you continued patience and support! We know that some of you have been experiencing problems since launch, and we sincerely hope this upcoming patch will fix at least some of them.

• wandrew, Jecica, Teller and 60 others like this

#2 WorldsReunited

WorldsReunited

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 00:46

Thank you for all your great work. Book One is awesome and the future is WATI-bright. I can just feel it.  :lol:

• Ceres, CosmicD, Yuriko and 2 others like this

#3 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2055 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 00:47

Yay!! Not about time, because I'm not in any way disappointed in you, but I know many will have hopes of DFC being playable for them now. :)

#4 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 28 October 2014 - 00:49

Great work RTG team! :)

• Ceres, Mr Moo and blaster like this

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#5 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2015 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 00:51

Thank you for all your great work. Book One is awesome and the future is WATI-bright. I can just feel it.  :lol:

Just don't use that publibity, those damn bastard of waticorp don't need it XD...

On a more serious note, Great work RTG, happy that you were able to do this in one week, it suprise myself already

#6 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2055 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 00:51

Great work RTG team! :)

That! ^^

But let's not get out hopes up to unrealistic levels. :rolleyes:

• DiskJunky likes this

#7 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11158 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 October 2014 - 00:54

Excellent! Thanks for the official word. It's appreciated. 

Keeping my fingers crossed for being able to play Europolis lag-free for my next playthrough. 

• Pawlo_86 and gormagion like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#8 WorldsReunited

WorldsReunited

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 00:56

Just don't use that publibity, those damn bastard of waticorp don't need it XD...

Hehe, touché.  :P

Also from Steam:

Have you equipped our meeting room with bugs? Are you reading our internal boards? Are you psychic? Because this is exactly right. Despite your laziness, you are spot on.

Yes, Book Two is in beta and Book Three is coming along nicely, but right now we ARE focusing on bug fixing and performance optimisations. Not everyone, of course. Most of the artists and animators are working on upcoming content, the writers are writing dialogue for Book Two, and our amazing composer is composing away on new music for the next episode. But the rest are still working hard to fix the remaining issues with Book One.

As for when Book Two is coming, we have an internal milestone that we're not going to disclose to you guys quite yet. We plan to keep it to ourselves until we're a few weeks away, but we will give you a rough idea of our timeline some time next month.

The general plan is to have all five episodes out by September next year, and we don't want the wait between episodes to be too long or painful. So stay tuned and the next book will be here before you know it!

(link here)

By September next year? That sounds very ambitious and I love it. That means eleven months and 4 books. I dig that.  B)

Edit:
[on Recapp]

The recap video will be posted to our YouTube channel tomorrow, and it will also most likely be part of patch 1.1. as an option from the main menu in-game. As soon as the video is live, we will let y'all know!

(link here)

[on soundtrack]

Correct. It was scheduled for early November, but it might actually arrive within a day or two! And it's absolutely fantastic — our composer, Simon Poole, has done an amazing job. We can't wait to share it with you.

(link here)

Edited by Tina, 28 October 2014 - 07:00.
Added some link and bold letters, thanks for posting this!

• Tina, Edreamer Jamil, Em_TC and 5 others like this

#9 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1793 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 28 October 2014 - 00:57

That was pretty fast, i'm impressed given the issues.

Maybe one of the advantages of longer early access is the community gets to help squash bugs before a general release.

• skadet, WorldsReunited, khh and 3 others like this

#10 Adaptive Unconscious

Adaptive Unconscious

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:15

yay! im hoping it will work now

#11 kellkerrick

kellkerrick

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:24

Thanks! Looking forward to another runthrough of Book 1.

#12 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1554 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:31

Patch!
paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch!

doing a fourth playtrough after the patch just to enjoy the optimized version even more than I already enjoyed it now.

Wonder if the fullscreen will now be propper focused fulscreen (and sepparate borderless alternate option)  ?

• blaster and SadoMazOMGie like this

#13 Margo

Margo

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMoscow,Russia

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:36

Great work RTG!!! This is surprisingly fast. You are the BEST DEVS that I know of, probably the best in all known Universe  :)

#14 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1793 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:37

• Windows 64-bit version. We hope this will fix a few of the memory-related problems some players have been reporting. 

I wonder if we will be able to launch the x64 version from steam (or if we will even get it.)

#15 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7061 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:41

I wonder if we will be able to launch the x64 version from steam (or if we will even get it.)

They pushed a 64-bit version to Steam 6 days ago, but it hasn't gone live yet. I'd say there's a pretty good chance. But you can launch 64-bit games from Steam, yeah. I did some googling on that a while back.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#16 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1793 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:44

They pushed a 64-bit version to Steam 6 days ago, but it hasn't gone live yet. I'd say there's a pretty good chance. But you can launch 64-bit games from Steam, yeah. I did some googling on that a while back.

I'll have to look it up my self. It doesnt seem that steam has a feature for selecting a version, or even picking what exe it runs.

#17 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2055 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:49

Steam is supposed to do this automagically when installing. If you have 64 bit OS you should get 64 bit game, if available. The Windows Steam application itself is 32 bit, but that really doesn't matter.

#18 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1793 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 01:53

Steam is supposed to do this automagically when installing. If you have 64 bit OS you should get 64 bit game, if available. The Windows Steam application itself is 32 bit, but that really doesn't matter.

So it might just require a reinstall ? I can live with that.

#19 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2055 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 02:18

So it might just require a reinstall ? I can live with that.

I have no clue what happens if an installed 32 bit steam game gets a 64 bit version. At best, it would only download the difference between the versions, but i'm not sure how that works. Verify local cache could be enough, if it's not a fully automatic upgrade.

#20 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:32

(I'm socially retarded and have mild adult ADD but I'll speak my mind) This game is something special. I really felt that my first play through even though it crashed and seizes to work past Europolis for me. I am blown away , I really felt absorbed into the story. This is a beautiful game. I really felt connected to the characters by having choices that change the story , that have "consequences". It made it feel so much more relateable. It made me feel like I was Zoe in a way. It makes it more personal, real to the player. I always felt connected to April Ryan naturally in the first game because she was an artist and some one with my screwed up brain is inherently creative. But, this game and it's choices I feel give you a way to interact with the characters on a more personal level. I felt more connected emotionally, psychologically by having those kind of choices to make.

When you get to choose how the character thinks and feels, it puts you in a much more personal space and it's really a reflection of your own thoughts and feelings. I felt that way anyways, I clicked what resonated most with me and it made the experience unlike any other gaming experience I ever had. I really felt connected.

I spent 30 dollars for a game that crashed when I got to the second stage and I didn't even feel dissapointed. I just patiently wait and hope that I can continue to play the game. Even on the lowest settings this game looks AMAZING. What really won me over though was the being able to express my own thoughts and feelings, as if I were the character or could relate to her on an emotional, spiritual, mental level. It felt like I was having an inner dialog, or it was a therapy lesson or something haha.

I really love this game so far. I really do. I really do. B)  I think it was genius to allow the players to connect on this level, the beginning of the game is something almost spiritual and definitely there's something subconcious there , that's relatable for everyone. How we see ourselves, how we feel about ourselves and our choices we make, it was already very absorbing for me and personal. It made me think about my own life on some level, my own story and journey and how it interwined with her story. The beginning of the game for me was symbolic and spiritual. It resonated with me on many levels. It was an emotional experience for me, how we see ourselves. It was DEEP for me.

I felt that the choices were very appropiate and that most people could resonate with one or the other choices they had.

Beautiful game , simply beautiful. Can't wait to see more, I really hope you continue to get deep into the characters feelings and thoughts and perhaps the players as well.
Don't know if anything I've said makes any sense but haha it does to me... :rolleyes:

• Edreamer Jamil, popcorngal, DiskJunky and 8 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users