#1 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 23:37

I just got an idea yesterday,

What if you can make a folder file from unity, I think I was able to do that...

So, Imagine I want to start a new playtrough, the game could ask me on what new folder all my auto saves will be store for this playtrough.

Just thinking to gives mores easy solutions about the heavy saves feature.

• Teller, aeonfluxx75 and duke4life07 like this

#2 Margo

Margo

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 18 posts
  • LocationMoscow,Russia

Posted 28 October 2014 - 00:01

I think this is a good idea :)

#3 BenBandu

BenBandu

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:56

I like this idea  :rolleyes: 

As a matter of fact:

I'm not sure how hard this would be, but would it be possible to create a folder for each playthrough? So everytime you start a new game it creates a new folder and saves all the savegames for that playthrough in there? And maybe let the folders be nameable, so people can easily navigate them when loading game. Because right now I'm forcing myself to not replay it with different choices because I don't want to lose track of my main one.

:D

#4 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 28 October 2014 - 13:06

I think that this has already been raised with RTG and it's on their radar. For the moment, I think there is a saved games folder that you can manually copy out/wipe on your playthroughs though I don't know what effect the steam version has on this

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#5 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7107 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 13:18

On the Steam version you need to disable cloudsaves to be able to do this manually, otherwise it will just download all of your previous saves into each new folder.
  • DiskJunky likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#6 duke4life07

duke4life07

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 16:15

The DF: TLJ had the possibility of multiple saves. You would think that a new entry where choice matters they would have kept that above all else.

#7 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 October 2014 - 16:20

@ Duke - The problem wasn't wanting to keep a similar save system, it was that implementing stable saving anywhere proved to cause stability issues. 

The game does have multiple saves. It never deletes your old autosaves. So there is that. They're looking into possibly making some tweaks to the save system going forward, if they can get it working right. 

But yeah, I do agree that even if they can't put in manual saves, some ability to create save profiles would be useful. 

But yeah. RTG is listening to our feedback, so I'm sure if they can come up with a better solution that doesn't mess up the game's stability, they will and will implement it in the future. 

• Morten likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#8 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:49

I just want something more simple, I've done like 6 playthroughs so now when I go to load game my save files are a mess. We seriously need something more simple like Dreamfall TLJ..

jHevh80.jpg

#9 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 02 November 2014 - 12:33

Aj17, but you only have one CopyFlags.data to carry into Book 2.

#10 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 21:45

I started another thread on this topic. agirlnamedbob was kind enough to point out this thread to me and lock the erroneous one I started. So, I'm posting my comments from the locked thread here, to have everything in one place.

I'm pretty sure this won't have any spoilers.

I don't think it's any surprise to anyone that there are a number of choices to be made in DFC, and they have consequences down the road. I also don't think anyone would be surprised to learn that the majority of players would like to play the game multiple times, making different choices each time.

The problem, as I see it, is that the way saved games are handled makes it more difficult to keep track of what you did in a particular playthrough than it could be. Also, it's harder to separate and identify one playthrough from another than it could be.

One option I was thinking of is to allow the player to start a new game and give it a name. If the player clicks on a particular game they are presented with the various saved points for only that particular game, not those from any other playthrough.

Furthermore, I think it would be beneficial if, for each game, a synopsis of the choices made so far could be presented - a button or something that says, "Game Synopsis".

A really nice feature would be to have a way to identify which choices you have made, whether in the current game or any other, so that you can be sure you're making choices you haven't made so far.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Save, saving games, multiple playtrough

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users