#1 Layara

Layara

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 October 2014 - 19:14

(Mods, if there is a more appropiate place / thread for this, please feel free to move it.)

Since character names and their meanings are important in the TLJ universe, I thought we might have a thread to look at the new characters from Book 1 and dissect the meanings:

Queenie: Self-explanatory.

Mira: Sanskrit for "ocean, sea", but also "limit, boundary". I am going with this because Mira obviously is Indian, it can take on a lot of other meanings in other languages.

Wit: Meaning clear, the only question is whether it's his given or a nick name.

Dr. Zelenka: Czech, Croatian. Diminutive form of zelený = green; "little green one". Some sources also translate it as "little innocent one", green here being used in the sense of "inexperienced".

Nela Vlček: Even though used as a given name in its own right, Nela is the short form of at least half a dozen traditional names. Vlček is a Czech surname meaning "little wolf".

Baruti Maphane: Baruti means "teacher" in Tswana. I couldn't find out anything about Maphane, except that it's a very common surname in Botswana.

Süleyman Sadik: Turkish. Süleyman translates to "man of peace" and is a common Turkish first name. Sadik derives from Turkish sadık = "loyal, faithful, devout".

Mr. London: Meaning should be clear.

Hanna Roth: Roth is an antiquated spelling of "Rot" - German for "red".

Lea Umińska: ?

Dieter Gross: Alternative spelling of Groß, meaning "great, tall, big" in German.

Konstantin Wolf: Meaning clear.

Marta Ribas: Ribas is Catalan for "banks" (as in river banks).

Adala bint Kalid: Arabic. Adala = "just, fair"; bint means "daughter (of)"; K(h)alid = "eternal".

Saga: kinda self-explanatory.

Etta: Germanic = "house owner; ruler of the house"

Magnus: Latin = "the great one"

Falk Friedman: German. Falk = falcon, hawk; Friedman = "man of peace"

Now let the speculations begin. ;)

• Jecica, Edreamer Jamil, WorldsReunited and 19 others like this

#2 Layara

Layara

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 October 2014 - 19:57

My own conclusions so far: I cannot help but thinking that having characters whose last names mean "red" and "little green one" respectively is NOT a coincidence - are they the new personifications of the Red and the Green? And if that is the case, did Reza refer Zoe to Dr. Zelenka knowing who he is?

What does Nela being the "little wolf" mean? Is she related to Konstantin Wolf and cut her family ties because of her political convictions? Is the meaning more metaphorical?

Not sure whether something needs to be read into all of the names, but Ragnar and Dag certainly didn't choose them randomly.

• Alcarmo likes this

#3 Alcarmo

Alcarmo

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationCzech Republic

Posted 26 October 2014 - 20:09

Really interesting topic, thank you for that  :)

it´s hard for me to think about some deeper associations when I know so little about new characters....anyway, could it be so?

Red and Green are reborn even if it sounds too crazy for me?  :D it can mean that Saga can be really April and concerning the White Kin....

we really don´t know what happened to her so I save it for the right time...and Blue is gone I believe....

for now I´m just lost in Storytime - more than Zoë  :lol: and the thought of Kin can be reborn into new characters...just kills my brain  :lol:

"The Balance provides. The Balance protects. Trust the Balance, and trust yourself." - Vestrum Tobias

#4 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 October 2014 - 20:24

Dragons are inmortal. Ragnar said that Cortez is BIG part of Dreamer Cycle (Dreamfall + Chapters).

#5 Hitana

Hitana

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 26 October 2014 - 20:24

Yay, thanks for this! :D

I'd like to think Nela "little Wolf" refers to her personality. Zoe herself says that Nela is "extreme" in a way. 

I googled April, Zoe and Kian earlier. We already know April from Ragnar and another thread but since we have this thread here it should be in there too.

April - Opening buds of Spring; Springtime; Beginning

Zoe - Life

Kian - Ancient; God is gracious

This must have relevance! 

• Amistat likes this

But what about the welding?! - Shitbot

#6 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 October 2014 - 20:25

I read that kian means also KING.

#7 DarkPerson

DarkPerson

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 20:28

In my opinion, McAllen is the Konstantin Wolf. Because he was also into politics in TLJ. Born to lead tagline is so McAllen.

• Pawlo_86 likes this

#8 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 October 2014 - 20:29

In my opinion, McAllen is the Konstantin Wolf. Because he was also into politics in TLJ. Born to lead tagline is so McAllen.

Spoiler

• wandrew and Amistat like this

#9 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 26 October 2014 - 20:30

In my opinion, McAllen is the Konstantin Wolf

At least im not the only one that thinks that.

Under it all, I think we still have the Cortez Vs McAllen story. if indeed queenie is cotrez that is

#10 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 October 2014 - 20:35

At least im not the only one that thinks that.

Under it all, I think we still have the Cortez Vs McAllen story. if indeed queenie is cotrez that is

Then it won't be much developed in Chapters and it will be left for TLJH. But i believe that Queenie will help Zoe to "wake up" and remember Storytime and true events from Dreamfall.

#11 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 22:56

Thank you so much for putting this together! I know that RTG does a lot of research when naming their characters, so I doubt any of this is coincidental. Especially the meaning of Etta is very, very interesting.

• Layara, somnolentsurfer and DollyDagger like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#12 April_R.

April_R.

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationA lake

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:27

Suleyman was also the name of the most dynamic of the Ottoman sultans, and he was himself named after King Solomon of ancient Israel. Both of them were known as law-givers.

Kaiser Konstantin is very similar to the Latin pronunciation of 'Caesar Constantine,' and possibly a deliberate reference.  He was the emperor who converted Rome to Christianity. 

Lea means 'tired' in Hebrew, and Umińska means, uh... something, in Polish. 

• Layara likes this

#13 Eveolene

Eveolene

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:51

And if that is the case, did Reza refer Zoe to Dr. Zelenka knowing who he is?

Reza never, to our knowledge, knew anything about Arcadia, Stark or the Draic Kin. I find this very unlikely.

Edit: But I do find Sully's name very appropriate. He definitely seems like a good guy. I got no nasty vibes from him whatsoever.

• Layara and DollyDagger like this

"This story, like all good stories, begins where it ends, in a tower, in a realm that is no more." - Lady Alvane

"I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and fulfilled to follow you to the next stop on our pointless, depressing journey." - Shitbot

Dreamfall Chapters Transcript | Twitch Stream

#14 saidsrc

saidsrc

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationWhere Europe Meets Asia

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:06

I have a few to add. Aside from their arabic origin, Reza means assent or consent, Temiz means clean, Sadik means faithful or loyal in Turkish. I don't know the details about Arabic meaning but in Turkish, Sadik does not mean friend, anyhow. Friend is "arkadaş" or "dost" in Turkish. Yes, Süleyman is a very common fist name in Turkey and it originates from Arabic name for King/Prophet Solomon. Also name of an Ottoman Sultan, as mentioned before.

At the Hand That Feeds, while talking to Zoe, Reza uses the word "Tamam", which means okay in Turkish. So most probably he is Turkish too, like Sully.

• Layara and inspector like this

#15 DollyDagger

DollyDagger

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:08

Great thread! RTG are very subtle, but they certainly didn't choose these names at random.

#16 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 711 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:56

Dang, I was hoping Nela meant 'reality'. :)
  • Riaise, Layara and DollyDagger like this

#17 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2735 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:58

Great thread! RTG are very subtle, but they certainly didn't choose these names at random.

I remember researching of names in Dreamfall. This ended in suprised way like:

Wati = wati kutjara - LIZARD MAN

Chavez = dream maker

• DollyDagger likes this

#18 Hitana

Hitana

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationBerlin, Germany

Posted 27 October 2014 - 14:59

I also checked for Zoe's middle name. It has a few too many meanings, so I'm taking the ones that feel relevant:

Maya - illussion (in Hindi); spring/brook (in Hebrew)
  • khh likes this

But what about the welding?! - Shitbot

#19 Vostrino

Vostrino

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 15:37

I remember researching of names in Dreamfall. This ended in suprised way like:

Wati = wati kutjara - LIZARD MAN

Chavez = dream maker

waticorp is a REALLY weird name. considering it's a company based in japan. with gums. stickers. gorilla ads.

ragnar and the team seems to nail japan well enough in dreamfall. even the scroll in damien's room the kanji is written peace by the way 平和 it has what looks like the hiragana writings on top of it (へい わ). so it seems somebody on the dreamfall team know about japan enough for it to be somewhat accurate.

which really strucks me as super odd why they name a hokkaido based corporation wati corp.

theres not even an alphabet for ti in japanese.

#20 Layara

Layara

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 October 2014 - 16:47

I have a few to add. Aside from their arabic origin, Reza means assent or consent, Temiz means clean, Sadik means faithful or loyal in Turkish. I don't know the details about Arabic meaning but in Turkish, Sadik does not mean friend, anyhow. Friend is "arkadaş" or "dost" in Turkish. Yes, Süleyman is a very common fist name in Turkey and it originates from Arabic name for King/Prophet Solomon. Also name of an Ottoman Sultan, as mentioned before.

At the Hand That Feeds, while talking to Zoe, Reza uses the word "Tamam", which means okay in Turkish. So most probably he is Turkish too, like Sully.

Thanks for pointing that out. I corrected the entry - pages on name origins can be kinda fuzzy or take huge liberties, but I actually found sadık in an online dictionary now. :)

I also added Falk Friedman - while we know his name only from Kickstarter updates and the art book so far, he did make a short appearance, so he should be in the list.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dreamfall Chapters, character names, Book 1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users