#1 skadet

skadet

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4559 posts
  • LocationÅmot, Norway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 16:47

I sat up last night to write a timeline of The Longest Journey. I ended up writing a timeline slash summary, and figured I might as well put it here - the summary is meant for those who have already played the game, by the way. It's mainly a reminder of what happens when and stuff.

Anyway, here we go:

Friday, April 14th 2209

April's 18th birthday. She's decided she has to leave, and that she's going to Newport to attend VAVA.

Friday, May 26th 2209

April leaves home.

Friday, July 28th 2209

April wakes up after the dream where she meets the Mother, the White of the Kin.

On her way to VAVA, she meets Cortez.

At VAVA, Emma seeks April out and tells her Cortez wants to meet April at Gallery Roma. Emma's holosculpture briefly turns into a Maerum.

That night, at the Fringe café, a Banda appears. Back at the Border House, Fiona and Mickey see a rainforest in the living room.

Saturday, July 29th 2209

April meets Cortez again at the Mercury Theater. He helps her Shift to Arcadia.

Vestrum Tobias tells her the Story of the Balance. April seeks out Brian Westhouse, who gives her a pocket watch given to him by Cortez in 1934. April winds it up and opens a Shift.

Back in Stark, Cortez tells her what her mission is - finding the Guardian, the key to his realm and the entrance to said realm. Also, Royn Dale plays a concert at the Fringe café that night.

Sunday, July 30th 2209

April heads over to Hope Street and talks to Father Raul, who sends her to find Warren Hughes. April goes to the police station to delete Warren's record and find information about his sister and parents. She also finds a data crystal that Burns Flipper decodes – it contains information about Jacob McAllen and the Church of Voltec/Vanguard/MTI HQ. Flipper starts the process of making a fake ID for April.
At the Hope Street cathedral, April overhears Cortez and Father Raul talking. Cortez says she is «the one». She doesn't mention this to Cortez, and they agree to meet the following day.

At the Border House, April sees Zack standing outside the door to her room. Inside she finds Charlie and Emma. She tells them that she's involved with something and asks them to keep an eye out for shady people. They agree to hang out at the café the following night.

McAllen and his goons finds Cortez' hideout.

April opens a Shift in her sleep and ends up outside the Journeyman Inn, where they are celebrating the Feast of the Balance. Benrime tells her April's what the Dark People calls a «wave», and that she herself is a Seer. She sees that April's future has many paths, but that they are all dark.

April talks to Abnaxus, who tells her they will talk when she visits him the following morning.

Monday, July 31st 2209

Benrime gives April clothes and money in exchange for her helping to clean up after the Feast. April visits Abnaxus, who tells her she is what the Venar call the Kan-ang-la. After getting some more information, she visits Vestrum Tobias to make sense of it.

He refers her to the 13 Scriptures of the Balance, which are housed in the Sentinel Enclave's Library, east of the city. He also says that the only way in to the Guardian's Realm is the point where the Divide was first created. No one knows where this point is now, as it would have shifted after the Divide was created.

Brian Westhouse tells her about a rumor of a winged people who records history through stories.

In the library, April learns that the winged people are the Alatien, who reside on the island of Alais. She also learns that the four pieces of the disc were given to the Bandas, the Venar, the Maerum/Alatiens and the Dark People.

Captain Nebevay tells her that an alchemist by the name of Roper Klacks has put a spell on the wind, that he sent people up there to deal with him and that none of them have returned.

The old man tells her that if she brings back his bird he can get her on Nebevay's ship. After saving Crow, Nebevay still can't sail anywhere without wind. April decides to go find Klacks and get the wind back.

On her way north, Crow catches up with her. April runs into Ben-Bandu, and then the Gribbler.

After defeating the Gribbler and saving Bandu-uta, she is invited to the Banda village, where the Elder invites her to sleep in the Spirit Dig, where she is told by spirits she is April Bandu-embata.

Tuesday, August 1st 2209

The Elder gives her the Banda's piece of the disc. April and Crow reach Klacks' castle, where April argues politics with Lorhan, defeats Klacks by trapping him in a calculator, saves all the souls Klacks turned to stone, brings back the wind and.. probably crash lands the castle somewhere during the night.

Wednesday, August 2nd 2209

Back in Marcuria, she finds Tun Luiec and gets her a job on The White Dragon, before visiting Vestrum Tobias. He tells her the Tyren, along with many Vanguard members, left their city two days ago, probably to attack Marcuria. He also admits he is certain she is the next Guardian and that she has to leave Marcuria. Before she leaves, he gives her the Talisman of the Balance.

Thursday, August 3rd 2209

Out at sea, Captain Nebevay orders Tun Luiec to change the ship's course to avoid a Chaos storm. April, desperate to get to Alais, uses the Talisman to affect the magic compass. The ship hits a reef and sinks, the crew able to escape, but leaving April behind to fend for herself.

Friday, August 4th 2209

April wakes up on a floating piece of wreckage and sends Crow out to find an island. In the meantime, she's kidnapped by the Maerum, who wants her to gather Tanyenn for them. Here, April establishes herself as the Waterstiller by uncovering the ancient shrine and killing Snapjaw before finding the Maerum's part of the stone disc. She sets out to reunite the Maerum with the Alatien.

Saturday, August 5th 2209

On Alais, April speaks to the stickmen, fixes the statue phones, wakes up Q'aman who helps an Orlowol, helps the stickmen finish their lunar cannon and takes it for a test drive. She enters the Alatien village, where she establishes herself as the Windbringer by learning their stories. The Teller gives April information about the Kin and agrees to send a representative to meet with the Maerum. In the abandoned cave, the two stones are joined and given to April. The Maerum then agree to bring her to their sleeping God, who is the Blue of the Kin, and who gives her one of the jewels for the disc. The Kin tells her he has spoken with the Dark People and that they have prepared a map of the stars for her, where the entrance to the Guardian's realm is located. He then brings her to one of the Dark People's Shadow Ships.

Sunday, August 6th 2209

April is given the map and the Dark People's part of the stone disc and a confirmation that she is what they call a Wave. She goes to sleep, and when she wakes up they're in the Marcuria port, which is abandoned. The town itself is quiet, but clouds of smoke can be seen. A Chaos vortex appears, and so does a Shift.

April ends up in the Hope Street cathedral, where Father Raul tells her Cortez has been gone since last Sunday and that he has a feeling that something is wrong. He also admits he's a Sentinel Minstrum, and that he assumes she's the new Guardian. April remembers she had a dream a few nights earlier about Cortez being held in a machine.

She then heads home, where Fiona is crying on the couch and Emma tells her to run. Gordon Halloway and his goons are there, and he tells April they've been keeping an eye on her. He wants what April has collected, and Emma is shot as an example.

Mickey enters, distracting Gordon long enough for April to run upstairs, where Zack is waiting and admits he sold April out. Zack is then killed, and April jumps into the canal to escape.

She heads over to the café, which is closed, and just when the Vanguard is about to catch her, the mystery door opens. April enters the House of All Worlds and is greeted by Lady Alvane, who tells her Emma is alive. She also tells April that Charlie and Fiona are angry at her for causing Emma pain and for not telling them the whole truth. Before April leaves, Lady Alvane tells her she is «quite, quite certain» that they will meet again.

April goes to Marcuria, which seems abandoned, but finds Abnaxus still in his house. He tells her a war is coming, gives her the Venar's part of the stone disc, and then tells her he cannot see the future because of the Chaos. He leaves for home.

April goes to the Enclave, where she forges the stones into one disc. Minstrum Yerin tells her that Vestrum Tobias had been stabbed in the heart and that they don't know who killed him, but that it's likely the Vanguard.

As April exits the Enclave, the Tyren army is blocking her road. A Shift appears, and April ends up at VAVA. April gets the sign and starts painting to open another Shift. She happens upon the Mother, who is dying after her fight against the Chaos. She gives April her jewel and then dies. The egg hatches, and the White of the Kin is reborn.

April shifts back to the Hope Street cathedral and then heads over to Burns Flipper to get her fake ID. She also asks him to decipher the Dark People's star map, and he asks her to come back later.

April goes to Grendel Avenue to find the MTI building, where she scams her way into McAllen's office. He tells her about his evil scheme to rule the world, then shows her his laboratory where he is planning to breed Warrior Shifters. He then locks her in there with a mutant, and April flees to the rooftop, where Cortez appears and saves her. April learns that the Chaos Vortex is the other half of Gordon. McAllen walks onto the rooftop and reveals he and Cortez are two of the Kin. Battle ensues, Cortez is thrown off the roof and drags McAllen with him. April notices Cortez' watch stops.

April leaves for Burns Flipper's place, only to find him dying after being shot. Halloway and the Vanguard took the map. Before succumbing to his injuries, Flipper shows April the deciphered map and tells her she needs to go to the space port The Morning Star – the entrance is right next to it.

Monday, August 7th 2209

On board The Morning Star, April finds the Guardian, Adrian, locked away in a prison cell. She releases him and follows him into the Guardian's Realm, where she has to go through three trials in order to enter the Tower and commence her duty as a Guardian.

The first trial involves her defeating the Chaos Vortex, the second is facing her father and what he did to her as a child, while the third is creating a bridge over the chasm to the Well of Making, at the bottom of the Tower of the Balance. Crow helps her with the last trial, and April tells her why she named him after Crowboy.

When she reaches the Well of Making, April drops the stone disc into it and a handprint appears. April putting her hand in does nothing, but when Adrian puts his hand in, a disc with the Symbol of the Balance manifests. The Tower then lets them both in, and it's revealed that April is not the next Guardian after all. Adrian is still the current Guardian.

Gordon Halloway appears, and April uses the Talisman to fuse the two halves of his being together. He then steps up to start his reign as the 13th (and last) Guardian.

..okay, so that's pretty much it. If there's anything I've forgotten or gotten wrong or anything, do feel free to let me know. I was half asleep when I wrote this, but I just had to get it done xD

• wandrew, Tina, Jecica and 13 others like this

My Twitter & Instagram & Twitch ... for your viewing pleasure.

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:39

I just used your timeline as a reference for the first time :D

Zoë mentions that the Collapse happened on August 8th, 2209.

• skadet and Tiago like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 DarkPerson

DarkPerson

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:54

Zoë mentions that the Collapse happened on August 8th, 2209.

So, collapse happened only 1 day after Gordon became the guardian? How interesting.

#4 Vostrino

Vostrino

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:55

i thought collapse happened during the empty guardian seats?

i was wrong?

#5 April_R.

April_R.

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • LocationA lake

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:20

So, collapse happened only 1 day after Gordon became the guardian? How interesting.

It may have been simultaneous, since London is 8 hours ahead of the US West Coast. It was probably a result of Gordon resetting the Balance. 

• wandrew likes this

#6 skadet

skadet

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4559 posts
  • LocationÅmot, Norway

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:53

Woohoo :D

#7 Tiago

Tiago

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, Brazil

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:08

i thought collapse happened during the empty guardian seats?

i was wrong?

In Dreamfall Chapters Zoë mentions the date when you look at the Collapse Memorial (I don't remember whether the original Dreamfall gives a date or not). And this date coincides with the end of April's journey in The Longest Journey.

So, unless this is a big coincidence, one could assume that the events at the end of TLJ somehow caused the Collapse. My theory is that the cause was the exchange of guardianship. I just wonder wether Arcadia had its own equivalent of the Collapse.

نDo4gzZF.png

#8 skadet

skadet

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4559 posts
  • LocationÅmot, Norway

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:51

I just wonder wether Arcadia had its own equivalent of the Collapse.

It's not mentioned in Dreamfall as far as I can remember. Anyone else? I imagine that if something similar happened over there, people would still be talking about it ten years later - they certainly are in Stark.

It could also be that the people of Marcuria were too busy with first the Tyren invasion and then the Azadi to think about it, notice it, or whatever (though that sounds kind of far-fetched to me even as I'm writing this).

#9 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:56

The accompanying effect for Arcadia would have been technology no longer working, right? And without technology, it's perhaps not so noticeable? (So how did the Azadi technology keep working? Do we then assume that the Balance was skewed before the Eingana - Dream chamber connection? What does that say about Gordon?) All this is assuming that the high tech pre-Collapse was dependent of elements of magic, of course. Not sure we've had confirmation of that.

EDIT: I'm still not buying the "people disappeared" situation as anything other than a result of the chaos after the Collapse.

Edited by toremygg, 27 October 2014 - 12:57.

#10 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 October 2014 - 13:00

When Project Alchera started? Before or after Collapse? Is there a mention in Dreamfall about it? Azadi came to Marcuria 10 years ago so close to Collapse.

#11 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 October 2014 - 14:33

During the Unstreaming, Ragnar said that the worlds are bleeding into each other, and that this is why there is tech in Arcadia. The ultimate consequence of that is that it will be possible to do magic in Stark in special circumstances. To me, this indicates that Gordon is doing a terrible job as Guardian. Perhaps the Collapse happened because Gordon redistributed Science to Arcadia and Magic to Stark, and so the most advances Science stopped working. Perhaps his last-minute restoration was only skin deep, and that he's still working towards reunification. The crumbling of the Balance would explain why the Tower is gone. It may, in fact, be in the process of being transported to and rebuilt in Arcadia. 

• Tiago and Pawlo_86 like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#12 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 October 2014 - 15:51

You know there is a scene in Dreamfall where April and Crow left Guardian's Realm but camera remains in realm and focus on Gordon for a while.

Its pretty strange scene. Gordon is 13th and last Guardian of Balance.

• WorldsReunited likes this

#13 Riaise

Riaise

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 27 October 2014 - 16:05

Oh, there's definitely something off with Gordon. His soul was split into pure logic and pure chaos. You can't tell me that when the two parts were reunited, he just went back to normal. Something is not right about him.  :ph34r:

• WorldsReunited and Pawlo_86 like this

#14 skadet

skadet

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4559 posts
  • LocationÅmot, Norway

Posted 27 October 2014 - 17:44

Okay, so this might be pretty far-fetched, but I just remembered something Abnaxus said.

"But the prophecies also speak of a saviour, as the prophecies usually do. One who will bring order to Chaos, only to release Chaos on the innocent. One who will restore the Balance, only to finally break it."

April is, of course, that person, that's well established by now. The thing is.. that Chaos Vortex in Arcadia was one half of Gordon. April brought his two halves together, so one could say that she brought.. order to Chaos. And then he stepped up as Guardian. And the Collapse happened.

CONSPIRACY THEORY, ASSEMBLE

• WorldsReunited, khh, Riaise and 2 others like this

#15 frederic09

frederic09

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 31 October 2014 - 14:29

I don't think it's a conspiracy. It was said that the second disk (the one April has made in TLJ) had other properties than the 1st one.

After all theses years of reflexion, i concluded that the 1st disk had as an objective to keep the twin worlds seperated. But for the second one, it is the opposite : it's functionnality is to remerge the worlds together.

Since everything is Balanced again, the only option is that's the streams are reversed. Gordon is just a pawn by believing the Balance, who's "saying"  that's the Magic's stream is in fact the Science one (and vice-versa).

And you can imagine if the tech world is not unable to work if science/technology is "forbidden" ? It will be a big Chaos, and it's what we called "the Collapse" in Stark.

However, in Arcadia it's more subtle. Because of the "science" stream, the Azadi won the War and got Marcuria, and in the same time they start to hate everything related to magic (for the same "reason", no magic is allowed on a tech world), killing thousand and thousands of species.

• Tiago and Starseeker like this

#16 Tiago

Tiago

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, Brazil

Posted 31 October 2014 - 17:10

However, in Arcadia it's more subtle. Because of the "science" stream, the Azadi won the War and got Marcuria, and in the same time they start to hate everything related to magic (for the same "reason", no magic is allowed on a tech world), killing thousand and thousands of species.

Good catch! It never came to me that Azadi's victory might have the same cause than The Collapse.

نDo4gzZF.png

#17 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 00:38

You know there is a scene in Dreamfall where April and Crow left Guardian's Realm but camera remains in realm and focus on Gordon for a while.

Yeah, why the heavealy emphasis on him, I too was surprise and thinking there's a meaning there.... I just know it.

#18 WorldsReunited

WorldsReunited

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 20:03

What if magic users were powerless in Arcadia during the Collapse? So no magic, just like science failed in Stark. That might give the Azadi an advantage, even if their technology also relies on magic.
  • Tiago likes this

#19 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 November 2014 - 21:17

What if 13th Guardian will be on throne for 13 years...in Chapters there are 12 years since TLJ/Collapse.

• khh likes this

#20 DarkPerson

DarkPerson

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 09:02

Yeah, why the heavealy emphasis on him, I too was surprise and thinking there's a meaning there.... I just know it.

I took it that he has lost his humanity.  He was a shell of himself just standing in mid air.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users