I wasn't able to successfully get beyond the doctor's office until I manually updated the video drivers. The installation package from AMD's website for the Radeon HD 4800 series will fail to install the display drivers for Windows 8.1. These instructions may help others:
1. Go to amd.com - Drivers + Support - Drivers + Download Center
2. Fill in the relevant information choosing Windows 8 even if you have Windows 8.1.
2. Download the latest AMD Catalyst Package
3. Install the latest AMD Catalyst Package, if it fails continue.
4. Test the game, if it fails to resolve the issue, continue5. Open Computer Management
6. Go to Device Manager - Display Adapters - Video Card
7. Right Click - Properties
8. Click the Driver Tab
9. Click 'Update Driver'
10. Click ' Browse my computer for driver software'
11. Click 'Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
12. Click 'Have Disk..'
13. Browse and select C:\AMD\<Latest Created Folder>\Packages\Drivers\Display\<version name folder>\<Highest numbered and largest inf file>
14. Choose your video card from the list
15. Install the driver
16. Restart your computer