#21 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 28 October 2014 - 14:00

mmm, I dunno, I see those effects quite a lot, even on my new computer which is a clean windows build with default settings across the board. They are very frequent in europolis and can be obscuring/annoying. It also doesn't help epileptics - I have to make sure I play the game out of sight of my wife - literally! The option to turn off the flares would be appreciated.

• khh, Em_TC and Tracido like this

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#22 Tracido

Tracido

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 15:32

mmm, I dunno, I see those effects quite a lot, even on my new computer which is a clean windows build with default settings across the board. They are very frequent in europolis and can be obscuring/annoying. It also doesn't help epileptics - I have to make sure I play the game out of sight of my wife - literally! The option to turn off the flares would be appreciated.

This, I don't have to do anything other than take screenshots normally, it's just that constant for me as well. Those bright in my face repeats, they never go away, matters NOT what angle, so our experiences between us all are, not quite the same...

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=331646295

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=331076730

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=331076458

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=331076498

Other than that, it is absolutely stunning, just gorgeous. :)

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=331011328

#23 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 16:06

Tracido: it's not that intense for me as in your screenshot, I think (plus you got the l4z0r eyes as well). Maybe you're one of those people Morten mentioned in the post I quoted? Where the effects are made more extreme by graphics card or something? (and that's one of the things they're working at for the next patch)
  • agirlnamedbob and Tracido like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#24 Tracido

Tracido

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 16:11

Tracido: it's not that intense for me as in your screenshot, I think (plus you got the l4z0r eyes as well). Maybe you're one of those people Morten mentioned in the post I quoted? Where the effects are made more extreme by graphics card or something? (and that's one of the things they're working at for the next patch)

That's all I was wanting to know, bless you Tina.  I didn't hear about it in this upcoming patch was all.

#25 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 16:27

That's all I was wanting to know, bless you Tina.  I didn't hear about it in this upcoming patch was all.

I can't promise anything, since I'm an idiot when it comes to computers :P

But yeah, I can confirm that it's not looking that extreme when I'm playing the game. And that Morten has mentioned that the "l4z0r eyes" (++) is something that happens to some people, so if you feel Morten's post (both me and agirlnamedbob quoted it on the last page) sounds like what you're experiencing, then there's a good chance it will be better after the patch that's coming out some time this week :) I'm crossing my fingers, at least!

• Tracido likes this

#26 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 16:31

But yeah, I can confirm that it's not looking that extreme when I'm playing the game. And that Morten has mentioned that the "l4z0r eyes" (++) is something that happens to some people, so if you feel Morten's post (both me and agirlnamedbob quoted it on the last page) sounds like what you're experiencing, then there's a good chance it will be better after the patch that's coming out some time this week :) I'm crossing my fingers, at least!

The picture of Kian with glowing eyes is what's meant as laser eyes, yeah, so that's being looked into. And it does sound like Tracido does experience more of the effects than is intended. So it's definitivly being looked into.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#27 Tracido

Tracido

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 16:41

The repeat lighting lights line up into, "the l4z0r eyes" on NPC's and police helmets, "l4z0r helmet face shields", btw, so it's definitely, the very issue, just showing up in other lighting effects.  It's why I suggested an option for those having issues, but if it's just the very next patch after this one, I can hang on. ;)

#28 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 October 2014 - 16:46

I'm kind of hoping they'll have some fixes for this in the patch coming out this week. But yeah, if not, I'd expect the next patch for sure. But I know Morten has said for a bit that they're looking into this, though I don't know exactly where they're at with a solution for it.

Not to mention that sometimes when issues are more complex, it can take more than one patch to solve. 

Out of curiosity, do you know if you have an Intel or AMD/ATI graphics card? It seems to be ones from those brands that are experiencing this issue, from what I understand. 

• Tracido likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#29 Tracido

Tracido

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 17:08

I'm kind of hoping they'll have some fixes for this in the patch coming out this week. If not, I'd expect the next patch for sure. But I know Morten has said for a bit that they're looking into this, though I don't know exactly where they're at with a solution for it.

Not to mention that sometimes when issues are more complex, it can take more than one patch to solve. 

Out of curiosity, do you know if you have an Intel or AMD/ATI graphics card? It seems to be ones from those brands that are experiencing this issue, from what I understand. 

It's a brand new, R9 290X, runs about 400+ games (from the late 80's to now).  Once patched or fixed properly, of course.  With my new i7 4930k, which even in the toughest areas to run, still gobbles this game at 24+ FPS (Euro, tightest angles, and for some reason inside Pandemonium, has huge FPS drops to 24 as well, still stable just noticeably sluggish. I just make DC 'high priority', to give it that little boost.)  Other than the duplication error, I had at the beginning, never had any other issues beyond the lighting stuff I've shown.  Probably only reason I did not finish, I'd rather wait to have the experience the way it is meant, and heck at first I wasn't even sure, so I just kept screening shots of what it was.

#30 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 October 2014 - 17:17

Yeah, from what I understand, that's definitely in the same series as some of the other cards experiencing the issue. 

The lag is definitely something that's being addressed in the patch we're expecting this week. So hopefully the patch will at least fix that issue for you. I had some lag in Pandemonium as well (...and basically everywhere in Europolis...) so I'm looking forward to the patch as well. 

But yeah. Lag is fore sure being addressed in this patch. Unsure if anything they're doing will help with the l4z0r eyes situation, but if not now, then soon. 

Oh, and Ragnar's official post on the patch is here, if you're curious. 

• Tracido likes this

#31 Tracido

Tracido

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 17:34

Yeah, from what I understand, that's definitely in the same series as some of the other cards experiencing the issue. 

The lag is definitely something that's being addressed in the patch we're expecting this week. So hopefully the patch will at least fix that issue for you. I had some lag in Pandemonium as well (...and basically everywhere in Europolis...) so I'm looking forward to the patch as well. 

But yeah. Lag is fore sure being addressed in this patch. Unsure if anything they're doing will help with the l4z0r eyes situation, but if not now, then soon. 

Oh, and Ragnar's official post on the patch is here, if you're curious. 

It's not that bad for me at 24FPS min.  However, most folks do not have a CPU like mine.  So yeah, I totally can understand why that's first and foremost...  I just was a little confused as to whether this was the same thing in this thread and from the fact I've seen no further screens like mine, I'd thought it might not be getting addressed as I'd already read the patch notes currently.  I'm simply relieved. :)

• agirlnamedbob and Em_TC like this

#32 Em_TC

Em_TC

Fringe Café Regular

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC, Canada

Posted 28 October 2014 - 20:44

It's not that bad for me at 24FPS min.  However, most folks do not have a CPU like mine.  So yeah, I totally can understand why that's first and foremost...  I just was a little confused as to whether this was the same thing in this thread and from the fact I've seen no further screens like mine, I'd thought it might not be getting addressed as I'd already read the patch notes currently.  I'm simply relieved. :)

Your screenshots, every single one, and your detailed description of the lazer eyes glitches and FPS drops in Europolis and (even worse) Pandemonium, are exactly like mine. Thank you for uploading clear screenshots and posting about it; you're far from being the only one experiencing these issues so frequently. My FPS issues are actually worse since my specs are much older (AMD 7870 XT, AMD Phenom II x4 965 BE). I think some of the lens flare lighting looks great and very dreamy, but so much of it (most of it, for me) ends up being constantly-popping-up and distracting large boxes and lines, or quick-flashing lazer eyes, and was actually exacerbating headache and nausea problems I was having this weekend. I somehow soldiered through and finished my first playthrough yesterday (just wanted to play so damn badly!), but... still.

Here's hoping the patch helps! :)

• Tracido likes this

#33 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 30 October 2014 - 22:17

It's an interesting approach to convey a dreamy effect, but the large box flares look kind of out of place and they also seem random - like graphical glitches rather than something intentional. Maybe my experience is what Mortebn is talking about in that second sentence (the one after the one that Tina highlights).

The line flares, however, even when seemingly random, are kind of a cool effect (since it's intentional anyway).

Not necessarily annoying, but I (and I suppose a few other gamers) are used to associate perfect random boxes appearing on our screen during gameplay with graphical artifacts/driver problems/signs that the GPU is failing etc.

I it appears you were on to something ;)

Quote from Steam comment:

"You're right, it is an actual glitch…but it's there for artistic reasons! Sometimes a bug can create interesting effects, and that's what happened here. We liked how the lens-flares looked with the shader-bug and decided to keep it, in order to make Europolis feel visually unique and different.

Of course, for a professional shader programmer, this will be distracting — and we apologise for that! — but for most people, this is just a visual effect…one that not everyone will like but which adds something fresh and different to the game. At least in our opinion :)"

• ShadowNate likes this

#34 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 30 October 2014 - 22:19

It's not a bug, it's a feature!   :P

• agirlnamedbob likes this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#35 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 22:27

A bit on the offtopic side, but this reminded me of a specific idea that the Batman Arkham Asylum designers had. On that particular case, it wasn't a bug made a feature, but rather they thought that making the screen glitch was a cool idea (anyone who played that game probably has a very clear idea of the part I am talking about). 

That game as a whole is an outstanding experience but that specific... inspired idea made me jump on my seat and cold reboot my PC to prevent what I thought was my GPU's final countdown to explosion.

• Morten, Tina, Em_TC and 1 other like this

#36 gczobel

gczobel

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2014 - 21:58

It's a bug on the lens flare (and is horrible)... compare the two below images. It's the same place but moving the mouse a little...

rbLNMOw.jpg

and

7VwmbES.jpg

#37 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 08 December 2014 - 22:04

AFIAK, those little boxy lines like that were left in the game purposefully, as has been mentioned a few times now, I believe. 

From what I've gathered, some of those boxes and lines are a glitch in the lighting system, but the team left them in because they liked them. A bug-turned-feature, if you will. 

I believe the most recent patch gives the option to toggle off lens flares for anyone who is bothered by the amount of flare, but as far as I know there is no plan to change the flares that do appear. 

• khh and Mr_Russ like this

#38 gczobel

gczobel

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 17:42

In my opinion there is a serious difference between a bug and a bug-turned-feature.

I think this is something that should be fixed and optionally add an option to use the "bugged flare lens"...

Turning off the lens flare is an option but the aesthetics of the game is not the same.

#39 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 December 2014 - 18:07

I get what you're saying and I do understand your point. I'm just saying that AFAIK, RTG's official line on it is that this is how they intend the lens flare to be, so I don't foresee them tweaking it at all, beyond adding the toggle on/off option. 

That may change in the future, but for right now that's basically the info I've got. 

#40 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 09 December 2014 - 18:12

In my opinion there is a serious difference between a bug and a bug-turned-feature.

I think this is something that should be fixed and optionally add an option to use the "bugged flare lens"...

Turning off the lens flare is an option but the aesthetics of the game is not the same.

It's an artistic choice, and it is working the way they intended. I don't expect they will change that.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users