• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 jrcbandit

jrcbandit

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:45

I'm running an I7 4770K and Nvidia 970 GTX and getting odd lighting effects in the city.  They appear while moving around and can be quite annoying, here is an example:

PMqmWj5l.jpg

Just strange red, blue, etc lights will randomly appear as streaks while moving about.

Also, I am only getting 27-40 FPS on a high end system and SLI does not function.  I tried a few Nvidia Inspector bits and never found one that worked.

• gh256 likes this

#2 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11224 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:01

Hi jrcbandit - 

Out of curiosity, what system are you running the game on (Windows / Mac / Linux) and where did you download it from? 

From what I can see in your screen shot, this lighting effect may be intended. Some lens flares and lighting like this is intentional. I'm going to quote Morten from another thread about weird lighting issues here: 

Yeah, we hope to have fixed this issue soon. Sometimes it's kind of difficult to know if people are seeing the same thing as we do, and determining if what some people are seeing are actually bugs or if it's maybe just personal flavor pitching in. At least the way the lens flare is intended to work there are occasional "box" flares, but nothing so major as to render the effect annoying.

We know, however, that some users with Intel and ATI/AMD cards are experiencing a blooming side effect of the lens flare which is not part of the bloom from other objects in the scene. Many of these users have also mentioned a bloom/lens flare effect coming out of some characters' eyes, making them look like they have l4z0r eyes!

This issue we hope to have fixed shortly.  :)

As far as the frame rate issue, this is a known issue and the team is working on it. We're expecting a performance patch sometime next week that will hopefully fix some of the frame rate issues, among other things. 

As far as SLI, that's a bit out of my depth. I thought I read somewhere that the game doesn't currently support it, but I don't know the details or accuracy there. I'm also not sure if this is a Unity thing or not? Someone else might be able to give you more information on that. (I'm not quite the tech aficionado that some of the forum members are.) 

Hope some of this information is helpful!

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#3 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1839 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:45

I'm gaming on a 980gtx, and I get the odd lighting issue. Its not an AAA game, there will be a few issues. It doesn't effect the game. Getting the lighting right is incredibly difficult when you have lense effect on the camera.

At some points there are shadows cast over head, but there isnt anything there.

RTG will work it out as we go, and there is a long way to go yet. Enjoy the story :)

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#4 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7098 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:52

Here's a post that might help with the SLI issue: http://redthreadgame...ard/#entry34848

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#5 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:41

I'm running an I7 4770K and Nvidia 970 GTX and getting odd lighting effects in the city.  They appear while moving around and can be quite annoying, here is an example:

PMqmWj5l.jpg

Just strange red, blue, etc lights will randomly appear as streaks while moving about.

Also, I am only getting 27-40 FPS on a high end system and SLI does not function.  I tried a few Nvidia Inspector bits and never found one that worked.

These lens-flares are intentional. It's part of that dreamy, surreal, neon-lit Europolis look.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#6 Vostrino

Vostrino

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:48

These lens-flares are intentional. It's part of that dreamy, surreal, neon-lit Europolis look.

im of the opinion that if you can lens-flare every city i'll be happy.

will not refused option of turning it off though. for people who dont like it.

#7 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2081 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:42

It does give a feeling that  J.J. Abrams put into his lighting effect in his own movies, like the two recents star trek movies for example.

And now that I know it's not a bug, I say nice shot!!!

#8 SmkViper

SmkViper

Rubber Ducky

• Drachkin
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 19:20

I'm seeing this as well on my system (NVidia GTX 980) and for what it's worth it acts like texture stretching. Basically, the polygon that the lens flares are rendering on is larger then the texture and the edge of the flare texture is being stretched to fill the available space. If you carefully move the camera you can see the "real" flare smear out - the color of the smear matching the very last row of pixels visible in the texture as it clips it. It's not restricted to lines either, as you can get it to make large squares of color if you position it just right.

#9 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 27 October 2014 - 19:51

I'm sure that the large squares of colour (rather than the lines) are unintentional artefacts.

#10 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11224 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 October 2014 - 22:35

Do you have an example of  what you're talking about? Some box flares are intentional. 

#11 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7098 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 October 2014 - 23:13

Probably this

Spoiler

I get streaks like this as well. I'm not 100% sure if either is intentional or not.

Spoiler

April Ryan is my friend,

#12 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11224 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 October 2014 - 23:27

Yeah, that'd be a box flare. In the post I quoted above, Morten said that there should be occasional flares like this, but nothing that should get in the way of being able to see / navigate. 

I get those as well and AFAIK they are intentional. (RTG can obviously jump in and correct me.)

• khh likes this

#13 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1282 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 28 October 2014 - 00:43

Lens flare, ok. Multiple lens flare, well alright. It can look good.

kianflare_zpsc881ea39.jpg

We can see that there is no streaking of the flare to the edge of the screen. So yes, these lines are deliberate for Europolis, as Ragnar said himself. It's the blocks that are the bug, not the lines.

They can look like a bug, but then maybe they're meant to. Fuzzy reality. Literally "blurred lines"! As some have surmised elsewhere, Europolis reality is perhaps not...what is immediately apparent. Is this a spoilery part of the forum? Well, I'll put this next bit in tags:

Spoiler

• khh likes this

#14 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11224 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 28 October 2014 - 00:50

...I have a comment I want to make, but let's take the speculation to a speculation thread. Not a thread where people are coming to get help with the game. 

Plz & TY. 

#15 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 07:11

From Morten's reply in that other thread (mentioning lazor eyes), he did say that there are occational "box" flares when the lens flare is "working correctly". I put it in bold in the quote below (the l4z0r eyes is Morten's own formatting :P).

Yeah, we hope to have fixed this issue soon. Sometimes it's kind of difficult to know if people are seeing the same thing as we do, and determining if what some people are seeing are actually bugs or if it's maybe just personal flavor pitching in. At least the way the lens flare is intended to work there are occasional "box" flares, but nothing so major as to render the effect annoying.
We know, however, that some users with Intel and ATI/AMD cards are experiencing a blooming side effect of the lens flare which is not part of the bloom from other objects in the scene. Many of these users have also mentioned a bloom/lens flare effect coming out of some characters' eyes, making them look like they have l4z0r eyes!

This issue we hope to have fixed shortly. :)

• khh likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#16 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:08

It's an interesting approach to convey a dreamy effect, but the large box flares look kind of out of place and they also seem random - like graphical glitches rather than something intentional. Maybe my experience is what Mortebn is talking about in that second sentence (the one after the one that Tina highlights).

The line flares, however, even when seemingly random, are kind of a cool effect (since it's intentional anyway).

#17 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:19

I kind of understood Morten's post as as the box flares being what khh has in his first picture a few posts above. And that those are an unintended effect that sometimes happens but is hard to work around/fix if they're going to keep the line flare effects. But I don't know anything about programming (or what's inside Morten's head) so I may be wrong :)

At least from my experience, they popped up sometimes but went away with small camera movements, so they didn't feel annoying to me. (and what I'm talking about looks exactly what's in khh's picture)
  • khh likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#18 Tracido

Tracido

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:06

Sometimes it works lovely, actually. http://steamcommunit...s/?id=331142724

Other times, as was mentioned it might be a bit more extreme because of my setup but, I get shots like these... XD 

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=331076416

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=331646085

Is this normal? http://steamcommunit...s/?id=331646241

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=330664586

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=330618181

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=330664675

http://steamcommunit...s/?id=330664710

Unless, a little handheld device on an NPC is supposed to glare and ripple light that much? http://steamcommunit...s/?id=330743942

Pretty distracting, because of the frequency, but the effect done right, (some mild streaks of lighting, and a little lighting ripple) isn't bad.

I'm pretty sure this one is still my fav, but it does bother when listening to dialog, and no direction swivel quite removes the effect with some NPC's in Euro as well as Arcadia.  http://steamcommunit...s/?id=330503433

Must finish with one that nailed it so well.  http://steamcommunit...s/?id=330503405 :)  I'm sure the most extreme can be patched.

#19 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:13

Yes the box flares that I get look like the one in khh's post and the ones in the Tracido's screenshots.
They do go away with camera movement and I think they are hard to reproduce too.

Not necessarily annoying, but I (and I suppose a few other gamers) are used to associate perfect random boxes appearing on our screen during gameplay with graphical artifacts/driver problems/signs that the GPU is failing etc.
  • Tina likes this

#20 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7098 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 28 October 2014 - 13:58

Yeah the effect didn't bother me in any way, I just think it's nice to have clear pictures so we know what we're talking about.

Kian's mighty eyes are a bug, though.

April Ryan is my friend,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users