Photo
- - - - -

Friend Choices... How Does Game Decide?

Best Answer Ragnar , 26 October 2014 - 11:32

It only changes the tracked choices when you finish the game, not in real time.

That's not QUITE true.

The save-game we use for Book Two is only created when you finish the game, so you can replay bits of it without worrying about overwriting your previous full play-through.

However, the choices visible to your friends are overwritten every time you make one. So if you load up Friar's Keep and play the Arn Stont Decision Point, your friends (and the rest of the world) will always see the latest choice you made.

There are Good Reasons for this that are Technical and Complex in nature.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 26 October 2014 - 14:41

Hi, khh. Where are the saved games kept? We seem to have a difference of opinion here.

#22 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 14:44

Hi, khh. Where are the saved games kept? We seem to have a difference of opinion here.

For windows auto saves are kept in %appdata%\RedThreadGames\DreamfallChapters\Autosave

I suspect the StoryFlags.data file in the folder above is the "cross books" save game Ragnar mentions being made when you finish the game, but I have no proof of that.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#23 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 14:45

Thank you. I should be able to find out for certain since I've had two summaries.

I agree - I'm sure that StoryFlags.data is the summary file since Ragnar said that there's only one and it got overwritten. Mine has the date and time stamp of my last summary.

That means it's easy to copy and paste in situ. I now have a StoryFlags.data1. I'm going to overwrite / create a StoryFlags.data2

#24 Vostrino

Vostrino

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 15:04

idk about steam but most GOG games saved files is in local disk / gog games / game name

(which is really neat feature)

Then, when book two comes out, you pick the latest auto save for the playthrough where you made the right choices. Does that make sense?

alright so... if playthrough (main PT 1) is autosaved oct. 24, entirely different PT 2 is autosaved nov. 5, and deliberately choose all bad options PT 3 is autosaved nov. 19...

when book 2 comes out... the part where you said "where you made the right choices", does that mean i can choose the main PT 1, instead of the latest nov. 19 PT 3...?

i'm still not clear on the part when and where will the special save file will be overwritten...?

because from reading the FAQ and answers i thought whatever the last playthrough is, it will overwritten the previous playthrough...

#25 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 15:13

idk about steam but most GOG games saved files is in local disk / gog games / game name

(which is really neat feature)

alright so... if playthrough (main PT 1) is autosaved oct. 24, entirely different PT 2 is autosaved nov. 5, and deliberately choose all bad options PT 3 is autosaved nov. 19...

when book 2 comes out... the part where you said "where you made the right choices", does that mean i can choose the main PT 1, instead of the latest nov. 19 PT 3...?

i'm still not clear on the part when and where will the special save file will be overwritten...?

because from reading the FAQ and answers i thought whatever the last playthrough is, it will overwritten the previous playthrough...

The special save file is overwritten every time you reach the end and see the summary.

However all the information needed to create this special save is contained in the normal saves. So when you load a save from the interlude, and play from there to complete the game so you see the summary again, the special save file is overwritten with the choices you made when the normal auto save was created.

• Vostrino likes this

April Ryan is my friend,

#26 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 15:19

Confirmed - StoryFlags.data is your committed choices carried forward to Book 2. If you want to play Book 2 with different Book 1 choices, you will need to keep a copy of StoryFlags.data under a different name

as there is only one from your last completed game.

If you choose other paths but do not play to the end, the choices are not carried forward to Book 2.

• Vostrino likes this

#27 Emmote

Emmote

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 15:34

You don't need a StoryFlags.data at all. You can just load up an old autosave from the House of All Worlds and then complete that. Once Book Two is out, it'll just carry on into that.

The StoryFlags only seems to be relevant when you'll be able to click "Continue" on the main menu to go into Book Two, but that doesn't mean you'll have to use it.

This means you can keep as many saves as you like and can use every single one to progress into Book 2 without having to mess around with save folders and backups. Just keep all of the House of All Worlds autosaves. They're dated too so just make sure to remember or write down which date corresponds to which choice playthrough.

• khh likes this

--Emmo

#28 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 15:40

Yes, that works as you've committed all of your choices by then.

#29 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 26 October 2014 - 17:28

I will stick with one "core" set of choices, but for the "balance points" I do think it's good to be able to try different things. I mean, if I hadn't known about this I would never have met Kidbot. Shitbot is funny, but Kidbot is my new friend :)

#30 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 17:43

Emmote, Tina put it well. StoryFlags is what Book 2 knows of Book 1. You don't use it at all. [See Ragnar's post about it]

#31 Emmote

Emmote

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 18:47

I know that. My point was that you don't need to back it up or move it or anything so long as you have the last autosave from a particular playthrough. If you have them, you can just use them to continue from, regardless of what the StoryFlags is because it'll get overwritten the moment you finish as Saga.

I just felt that your advice to backup the saves and the StoryFlags file is just needlessly complicated. That's all.

• khh and Riaise like this

--Emmo

#32 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 19:39

Well, Emmote, I've followed my own advice. :) I now have a StoryFlags.data1 and a StoryFlags.data2.

#33 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 26 October 2014 - 19:42

It does spare you from having to walk slowly as a baby, which is cute the first few times but...yeah. Copy-paste from another directory is quicker!

#34 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 19:48

Happy Tree, if you copy and paste in situ you get StoryFlags - Copy.data which you can rename.

#35 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 20:41

It does spare you from having to walk slowly as a baby, which is cute the first few times but...yeah. Copy-paste from another directory is quicker!

Except when you've got it connected to steam, then the Steam Cloud descends and wrecks havoc on attempts of clean separation.

April Ryan is my friend,

#36 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 26 October 2014 - 21:58