Photo
- - - - -

Friend Choices... How Does Game Decide?

Best Answer Ragnar , 26 October 2014 - 11:32

It only changes the tracked choices when you finish the game, not in real time.

That's not QUITE true.

The save-game we use for Book Two is only created when you finish the game, so you can replay bits of it without worrying about overwriting your previous full play-through.

However, the choices visible to your friends are overwritten every time you make one. So if you load up Friar's Keep and play the Arn Stont Decision Point, your friends (and the rest of the world) will always see the latest choice you made.

There are Good Reasons for this that are Technical and Complex in nature.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 Emmote

Emmote

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:04

This has probably been asked or mentioned in another subforum, but I thought it would be useful for it to be here in case anyone else needs to know also.

I was wondering, from the Balance choices, how does the game decide which choice to put a persons name on if they chose more than one choice due to multiple playthroughs? Does it use the latest (like the save-game "Continue" does), does it show every option or does it use the first?

I'm mainly curious because I've done four playthroughs now and have (I think) tried every choice, particularly the Balance shifting ones, so I was wondering which choices it's going to be telling other people that I chose.

--Emmo

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:15

The choices you made during the last play through that you completed are the ones tracked by RTG. So to change the tracking you can load up a save from the interlude where you made the choices you want "official" and just complete the game.

• wandrew, agirlnamedbob and Emmote like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 Emmote

Emmote

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:25

Ahh, I see.

So if I were to load an old mid-way autosave, make a different choice and then quit after seeing the result but without finishing would it change the tracked choice? Or do you actually have to finish before it locks it in?

--Emmo

#4 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 721 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:01

The choices you made during the last play through that you completed are the ones tracked by RTG. So to change the tracking you can load up a save from the interlude where you made the choices you want "official" and just complete the game.

Phew! I just did my 'bioneering' playthrough, and was anxious about how they track it. Will swap back to my 'no prisoners' playthrough before starting Ep. 2. :D

• khh likes this

#5 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:54

So if I were to load an old mid-way autosave, make a different choice and then quit after seeing the result but without finishing would it change the tracked choice? Or do you actually have to finish before it locks it in?

April Ryan is my friend,

#6 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:32   Best Answer

That's not QUITE true.

The save-game we use for Book Two is only created when you finish the game, so you can replay bits of it without worrying about overwriting your previous full play-through.

However, the choices visible to your friends are overwritten every time you make one. So if you load up Friar's Keep and play the Arn Stont Decision Point, your friends (and the rest of the world) will always see the latest choice you made.

There are Good Reasons for this that are Technical and Complex in nature.

• Emmote, khh and Tiago like this

#7 Ragnar

Ragnar

Archduke of Redthread

• RTG Staff
  • 925 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:33

Oh, and of course this means that there can be a discrepancy between the choices you appear to have made online, and the choices you proceed with into Book Two.

Just so you all know and don't start yelling at us when these don't match.

(Reasons.)

#8 Vostrino

Vostrino

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:51

is there a way to create two entirely different finished playthrough at the moment?

#9 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:54

You'd need an archive directory where you could store your finished game under a unique name. When you wanted to play a particular version you'd move it out of archive and change the name

to something the game was expecting.

• Vostrino likes this

#10 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:13

is there a way to create two entirely different finished playthrough at the moment?

If you're just talking from a save-game perspective, that's there already. Your autosaves are never overwritten. So each of the autosaves from the interlude sort of represent a "finished playthrough".

• Riaise and Vostrino like this

April Ryan is my friend,

#11 Vostrino

Vostrino

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:20

If you're just talking from a save-game perspective, that's there already. Your autosaves are never overwritten. So each of the autosaves from the interlude sort of represent a "finished playthrough".

oh nice. thank you for the info. by the time i finish dreamfall i will replay DFC again. i might make different choices then that iwill have played dreamfall...

#12 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 13:05

khh, there is only one final version carried forward into Book 2.

#13 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 26 October 2014 - 13:22

Ok, so if there is only one "Book 1 completed" save that is carried over to Book 2...the question becomes "which one?" because I can see myself replaying this several times, changing choices and seeing what happens. But I do want to keep one narrative strand for my "proper" character choices.

I'm going to guess that it would be the one whose date is most recent? So to set up my proper narrative I would load the save point just before the end that contains all my favourite choices (having kept note of which one that is), then play to the end to generate the correct carry-over. Is that how it might work?

• Riaise likes this

#14 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 13:24

Happy Tree, the one you get your summary from at the end.

ETA There's a Ragnar post about Book 1 into Book 2 today.

#15 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 13:31

khh, there is only one final version carried forward into Book 2.

This is strictly true, but it gives people the wrong impression.

When you finish the game, a "cross book" save is generated with the choices you make. But if you go back to a different interlude autosave and just finish the game again, this will overwrite that "cross book" save with the choices you made during that play through. So effectively each interlude autosave can be used to store the different playthroughs. 

edit: Ragnar has already made a post on this topic. I will repeat it here.

In order to clarify how this works:

We create a SPECIAL save game (which isn't really a save game but more of a collection of choices made) at the end of Book One. This file gets overwritten with every play-through. This also applies to the choices stored on our servers: your latest play-through will always overwrite these choices.

Yes, you can load up an old save game in House of All Worlds, play through to the end, and you will update your choices with the ones from that save. This is a pretty safe way to store different paths, if that's something you want to do.

We will look into other ways of handling this once we're past the first couple of patches and closing in on Book Two. But we also don't want to make it TOO easy to just hop around between choices, since that somewhat lessens the importance and gravity of those choices. This is, after all, what our story is about.

I'm just repeating information here, but I hope it clarified things a bit more.

(this is, incidentally, also the post that gave me the wrong impression that Ragnar corrected above)

April Ryan is my friend,

#16 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 13:37

"We create a SPECIAL save game (which isn't really a save game but more of a collection of choices made) at the end of Book One. This file gets overwritten with every play-through. "

Precisely. That's your master file carried into Book 2. If you want to keep more than one, you will need to save it off elsewhere under a different name (as I said earlier).

#17 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 13:49

That is one option but it isn't the only one.

"Yes, you can load up an old save game in House of All Worlds, play through to the end, and you will update your choices with the ones from that save. This is a pretty safe way to store different paths, if that's something you want to do."

• Mr_Russ likes this

April Ryan is my friend,

#18 Vostrino

Vostrino

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 14:25

That is one option but it isn't the only one.

"Yes, you can load up an old save game in House of All Worlds, play through to the end, and you will update your choices with the ones from that save. This is a pretty safe way to store different paths, if that's something you want to do."

so... say i play 3 times.

Spoiler

i can play normally until the interlude... and then save the files differently for each three.

the one that carries over to book 2, is the one i choose to finish walking saga from the crib to the fireplace each time...

is that correct...?

i know you and ragnar and FAQs have explained this but it's still a little unclear for some people (say a particular asian with inadequate english) lol :D

#19 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 14:30

Vostrino, play through once - get a summary file. Copy the save file to another location under a different name.

Redo your choices. Play through to the end and get another summary file. Copy that to another location under a different name.

You can keep doing this. Your last summary file is the one automatically picked up by book 2 but you could save that to another location under a different name and restore one of your earlier ones.

Does that help?

• Vostrino likes this

#20 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 14:37

so... say i play 3 times.

Spoiler

i can play normally until the interlude... and then save the files differently for each three.

the one that carries over to book 2, is the one i choose to finish walking saga from the crib to the fireplace each time...

is that correct...?

Yes, almost. You can play normally through the game entire game, including Interlude. Then, when book two comes out, you pick the latest auto save for the playthrough where you made the right choices, and then just finish the game again. Those choices are then carried over to book 2. Does that make sense?

edit: The somewhat more complicated procedure Mr_Russ described would also work. Some might find that easier, since you don't have all the auto saves in the same folder. But both ways work.

April Ryan is my friend,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users