Photo
- - - - -

Unable to grab the ghost at start...

Best Answer Raiden , 25 October 2014 - 23:03

So, how do I grab it? I'm playing on a reasonably spec'd laptop and everything is perfectly fluid, but I can't for the life of me grab that ghost falling past the bridge. I'm stuck with my mousepad, didn't bring along any external input devices. I hit F to focus, I aim at the ghost, I spam the mousebutton, nothing happens. What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated.

I see you're using the touchpad on the laptop. I had the exact same problem and had to plug in an external mouse to fix it.

I wasted over 30 mins on it thinking that I was doing something wrong and getting quite irritated, but for some reason it just wouldn't respond to the touchpad in that one single specific part of the game. Once a regular mouse was being used she'd start to comment on the dreamer after the first click, and then the actions wheel would appear the next time. Before that I was clicking the touchpad buttons like crazy and got absolutely no effect or feedback.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:27

Really? With the mouse there is no interaction wheel, you just click LMB when the hand symbol shows. Done. That is for the first attempt at grabbing her, when you're not supposed to be able to catch her.

Ah, for the first attempt. Yes, then it was just the A button i believe. For the second attempt, not so much easyness no. :P

#22 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:43

I sat with my boyfriend (I got him to buy the game and test it on his computer, yay!) and he struggled a lot with the grabbing (mouse + keyboard). I did it on first try myself, but when I watched the bf doing it, it seemed like more problematic than I first thought. The hand symbol (after slowing time) showed quite late, so when it appeared (and he clicked), it was too late to grab her.

He got through it by just button mashing the mouse after slowing down the time though :P but I do (now) understand that the grabbing part can be tricky.
  • khh likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#23 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:05

I think that I had a harder time (but all in all not that hard of a time) the second time that I tried that segment (on a replay of the intro).
The storytime instances, though integrated in Zoë's story, are pretty much a tutorial for the controls. But that first section may be introducing too many of the intricacies of the UI scheme. 
Anyway, what I've learned from this experience is that: 

1. You may have to perform some action -and possibly fail, before something changes with the actions you can take (eg Zoë should first attempt to grab the falling lady, before she can use her *powers* on her)
2. Some powers have an effect for a limited time, and this is important because you will a) have a limited time to perform another action while the effect lasts, if so needed and b ) you will have to sort of synch your exercising of this power with your .. proximity to the object or person in focus (eg. Don't activate the time-slow while the falling person is still too far from Zoë). 
3. For some puzzle solutions (dreamworld again) the 2 is not necessarily true. (Some of Zoë's powers, will have a more permanent effect, if they are the final step of the solution to a puzzle).
4. Sometimes you can interact with a person or object differently when you are close to it and when you are further away from it. Eg. being closer to a person could only show a talking bubble action available, but distancing yourself from them could show the gear / multiple actions symbol.

#24 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 12:10

I think it was meant to be a little bit of a challenge, to keep the player interested and not just to be a button smash game at the beginning. :P It's possible that the skill to click at the right time varies.

#25 Varana

Varana

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 22:54

How do I get to choose the time slowing thingie from the wheel?

I can track her and bring up the wheel with the three options by clicking *and holding down* the left mouse button.

As soon as I release the mouse button, the wheel closes down and she goes on falling.

But how do I see what the three options actually are?

And how do I select one?

It doesn't seem to do anything while holding the button, i.e. I obviously can't click on one option.

Or should the wheel stay put when I release the button? If so, what's wrong?

Using mouse+keyboard on desktop.

Therefore I have sailed the seas and come

To the holy city of Byzantium. - W.B. Yeats

#26 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 02 November 2014 - 23:00

How do I get to choose the time slowing thingie from the wheel?
I can track her and bring up the wheel with the three options by clicking *and holding down* the left mouse button.
As soon as I release the mouse button, the wheel closes down and she goes on falling.
But how do I see what the three options actually are?
And how do I select one?
It doesn't seem to do anything while holding the button, i.e. I obviously can't click on one option.
Or should the wheel stay put when I release the button? If so, what's wrong?

Using mouse+keyboard on desktop.

Click once to bring up the wheel, don't hold the button down. Then select power.
  • Varana likes this

#27 Varana

Varana

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 00:07

Ah, thanks. Worked now.

Timed minigames aren't exactly the best possible way to introduce an interface. :D

#28 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 03 November 2014 - 00:17

well its not timed and fail. If you dont get it right you can just try over and over with almost no delay.

• khh likes this

#29 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 November 2014 - 00:20

well its not timed and fail. If you dont get it right you can just try over and over with almost no delay.

Yeah, I'd actually argue it's good design. It makes sure you learn the interface before introducing too many distracting elements.

• Lee-m likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#30 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 November 2014 - 00:26

It's not really obvious that you must click and release (not hold down) to use the dream power options, though. Is it explained that way? I can't remember.

#31 br305893

br305893

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  • LocationFairfield, CT, USA

Posted 03 November 2014 - 00:41

I had problems at the beginning of the game with the interface as well. This part with the ghost was particularly frustrating, but I eventually managed to figure it out.

#32 Varana

Varana

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 13:12

But it's still not only learning which buttons to use but also doing so in a limited amount of time - even with endless repeats.

It introduces an additional variable for "why things don't work": Did I click the wrong button, or was I just too slow? Why does the target have to be moving - mind you, it's the *only* target doing that in the whole Storytime sequence. In every other dream, you have lots of time to point the mouse, click every possible button and check out what it does. Only there does the target quickly move out of focus. Also, the help text says "Hold F". It's way easier to miss that the cursor is supposed to change and you're supposed to click, when you simultaneously have to keep track of the target.

It is a nice task for the second or third dream - when you already know how the cursor and this powers menu works. Having that as the introduction to your interface is... not optimal.

If everything works and you understand how things are right from the start, it's not an issue. It unnecessarily complicates things only if there are problems - technical, or on the user's side.

#33 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1869 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 03 November 2014 - 15:03

I dunno, it all seemed pretty simple to me. But so did the whole first book. I think I got the falling ghost on the 2nd try, once i'd seen what the icons on the wheel did.

I don't see whats complicated about a wheel with only 4 options on it my self, and only 1 thing to interact with (the falling ghost). If you listen to what Zoe says, she basically tells you what you have to do. That is most of the game, listen for clues and act.

#34 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 03 November 2014 - 15:49

But it's still not only learning which buttons to use but also doing so in a limited amount of time - even with endless repeats.

It introduces an additional variable for "why things don't work": Did I click the wrong button, or was I just too slow? Why does the target have to be moving - mind you, it's the *only* target doing that in the whole Storytime sequence. In every other dream, you have lots of time to point the mouse, click every possible button and check out what it does. Only there does the target quickly move out of focus. Also, the help text says "Hold F". It's way easier to miss that the cursor is supposed to change and you're supposed to click, when you simultaneously have to keep track of the target.

It is a nice task for the second or third dream - when you already know how the cursor and this powers menu works. Having that as the introduction to your interface is... not optimal.

If everything works and you understand how things are right from the start, it's not an issue. It unnecessarily complicates things only if there are problems - technical, or on the user's side.

But you use an interaction wheel to get to that dream in the first place. There you have unlimited time to stand still and figure you that a single click opens the wheel, and that holding the mouse button down doesn't work.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#35 bwalsh999

bwalsh999

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:08

Yes, I confirmed it.  I had the same issue where the three little circles were showing up on the falling dreamer, but the three expanded choices (one of which was the hourglass) was not showing up.  As soon as I tried It with an external mouse (instead of the touchpad) it worked on the first time.

#36 djwolf

djwolf

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 14:42

The reason I came to this site and registered is because having bought the game on Steam two hours ago I was just about ready to throw in the towel.  After clicking on photos and a teddy bear and several other things I clicked on "a dreamer in trouble".  This gave me two options.  I chose one and nothing so I chose the hand and found myself on a bridge.  Powers?  What powers?  Some text popped up telling me to hold down the 'F' key on the falling body which I did 'Continuously' but apart from the body slowing down the falling went on and on and on.  In fact, I got so angry with the game because I was getting no further directions that I went to Steam and found absolutely no information at all.  After a search of the keyboard mapping options I tried holding the left mouse button down as well.  I tried moving back, moving forward, angling my perspective but the falling dreamer just kept on falling.  So, is this what the game is about?  upsetting people with fiddly controls or am I to get some story in this alegedly story-rich game?  So, I have come here to learn that I may have to simply 'click' with my LMB to get options to appear.  I don't know.  The dreamer has been falling now for about an hour and a half and I'm pretty sure I've tried merely clicking on the body.  However, whether I manage to play this game further the fact that I have had to come here to find out just how to play the game is not a challenge; it's a fail and the sad bit is that even if it eventually works I can hardly recommend it to my friends. 

#37 magic88889

magic88889

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 20:53

You have to use F to focus on the falling girl.  It was a hint.  It's assuming that you already tried clicking on her, and finding that you have some options.  Same as when you click on anything else.

For this particular part, hold F to focus, click on the girl as she's falling, and select the hourglass icon to slow down time, then the hand icon to grab her. 

You might have to try just grabbing her first in order for the hourglass icon to appear.  It can take a few tries to get the timing right, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

I'm sorry you're having such problems this early.  I agree that this part can be frustrating if you don't get it.  Hopefully the above helps.  If not, you could always try a let's play video.

i've linked the time that this part starts;

https://youtu.be/yMnijzmpj_0?t=12m18s

• Tina, agirlnamedbob, khh and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users