Photo

Kian's Backstory (Speculation & Spoilers)

kian kian alvane speculation spoilers backstory

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#81 TalkingOak

TalkingOak

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7389 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Fields We Know

Posted 26 October 2014 - 14:35

If Etta and Magnus really "built" the House of All Worlds as they claim, connecting it to all worlds and all times, one or both of them must have weilded immense powers at one point.

Or they hired Shitbot to do some wel-DING! :P

• wandrew, WorldsReunited, Riaise and 5 others like this
The Talking Oak
aka. Ben
~-~

Twitter - Steam - GOG - Blog - Instagram - Good Reads

#82 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 15:00

Ah yes I got my dating wrong. xD So scrap the50s part  BUT  the first Guardain WAS a woman and we don't know what happens to a guardian after they have retired.

Yeah. And knowing Ragnar, there have been other female Guardians as well. What we know of the Guardians is that they are forced to return to their own worlds at the end of their tenure. As far as I can remember, we have no proof that all Guardians are shifters, though this is a wide held belief (and my memory may be in error here). They don't seem to age for the duration that they serve, but it's possible it could affect them in other ways.

And with the House of All Worlds being disconnected from Time - Etta being the first Guardian is possible. But why do they both have to leave periodically? And why would they need to worry when the other is out and about?

Just think. What if Etta and Magnus are DREAMERS?

I hadn't considered that. This is a very good suggestion. It would make sense.

What are the responsibilities of a Dreamer? Could this explain why they both need to leave the HoAW every now and again?

• WorldsReunited and TalkingOak like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#83 OptoNick

OptoNick

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 26 October 2014 - 16:22

Just think. What if Etta and Magnus are DREAMERS?

I thought that Zoe is the first and only ever known Dreamer, kinda unique. Although I don't remember how and where exactly I get it in Dreamfall, could be wrong.

UPD: from Wiki:

"I've never met anyone like you. I only know that there are some who have a strong connection with the world of dreams. And you are one of them."

―The White of the Kin

• wandrew likes this

#84 maskedgeekgirl

maskedgeekgirl

Rubber Ducky

• Drachkin
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 16:56

I'm not much of a theory person, but I did replay the prison break part and transcribed the optional conversations with the Captain.
So here is what he said about Kian being the key:

Spoiler

Kian also mentions that "Garmon and Utana taught me well" if you hover over the 'Reassure' option during your conversation with the Warden. Garmon is his friend/mentor who was introduced in Dreamfall. But I think this is the first mention of Utana.

• khh likes this

April: I've got noose for you, my friend.

Kian: I've been staring at that thing for so long, maybe the two of us should get a... broom.

Zoë: Also, no groceries to cook with. I'm cook-blocked.

Dorkfall: The silliest puns

#85 virumor

virumor

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 17:31

If Etta was the First Guardian, she should be long dead unless HoAW being "outside space and time" stops ageing (though the laws of physics seemed to apply in the house - there were even clocks). But then baby April would never grow up (which could explain why Etta & Magnus "abandoned" her on Stark).

Simpler explanation is that Magnus was a free spirit like Westhouse (or a Shifter) who made it to Arcadia and met Etta on his travels. And then on their travels together they somehow ended up at the island of the White Dragon who directed them to HoAW because April needed to be born.

• inspector likes this

#86 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 22:15

While we're not on the topic, what about Azadi race? Kian and the soldiers all seem to be of the same race, but Sister Sahya and a few of the Six seem white. This mix in race shouldn't exist in a people that has been isolated from others for a long period, as interbreeding should wipe them out. It seems to me to indicates relatively recent expansion of, or migration to, the Azadi empire. And yet it doesn't seem as if your race (is that even the right word?) affects your standing in the empire. And it's curious to see such different people in the same geographical area, without there having been imperialism. I wish we knew more about Azadi culture.

• agirlnamedbob and Mr Moo like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#87 Flo

Flo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 22:19

This mix in race shouldn't exist in a people that has been isolated from others for a long period, as interbreeding should wipe them out.

I would not be surprised if the Azadi had laws preventing that. They're not the most forward-thinking of cultures, after all.
  • Mr Moo likes this

#88 thelj

thelj

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 23:02

Ok, copy paste:

"In Dreamfall, Kian said to April "You feel familiar to me" and because of this, coupled with the Alvane name ( assuming April is somehow L.Alvane ), i always thought that they could be somehow related, maybe even siblings.
Now, Kian said that his mother threw herself from the city walls. Why? Was someone after her? Her body was never found. What if she survived and had to hide in a place far away. Like in THOAW maybe? "
Assuming Magnus is from Stark, Etta must be part of a very high class/royal family ( hence the warrior princess ) and the whole thing: magical race female falling in love and having a baby with a human, didn't go over very well.
The main thing that bothers me about the "Etta is Kian's mother" theory is the lullaby. If she sung a lullaby from her country, wouldn't she do that in her country's language?

OR: Kian's father is an Azadi nobleman, possibly married, and had Kian with another woman.They took Kian away from her and she tried ( succeeded? ) to kill herself.

OR: The Blue Dragon took human form and went on a little vacation. Then he had a fling with a human female. When he got bored, he returned to the bottom of the cold, cold sea to continue his nap. The woman went after him.  :P

OR: Kian is the "Mother's" ( or Blue Kin's ) son, as April is the daughter.

Anyway, i think it's very plausible that Kian is related/connected to someone very important ( even to someone of the Six ) and the Six or some other influential person are aware of this ( which would explain: him moving up the ranks so quickly and why,after a year, he hasn't been moved to Sadir to pass trial ). At the very least, the One of the Six that arrives in Marcuria must be aware of this, that's why, according to the meanies, she would want to keep him alive. If the rebels somehow got wind of Kian's importance, he could become the "key to the Tower" if they used him as a bargaining chip ( by pretending to hold him hostage or even double crossing him ).

• agirlnamedbob, khh and OptoNick like this

#89 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:22

While we're not on the topic, what about Azadi race? Kian and the soldiers all seem to be of the same race, but Sister Sahya and a few of the Six seem white. This mix in race shouldn't exist in a people that has been isolated from others for a long period, as interbreeding should wipe them out. It seems to me to indicates relatively recent expansion of, or migration to, the Azadi empire. And yet it doesn't seem as if your race (is that even the right word?) affects your standing in the empire. And it's curious to see such different people in the same geographical area, without there having been imperialism. I wish we knew more about Azadi culture.

I've been wondering this as well. 

Though, I suppose a point to consider...  Kian and the soldiers do seem to be of the same race, and then Sister Sahya, the Six, and also Vamon seem to be white. Or at least much paler than Kian. Maybe that's also part of what they mean when they say Kian is low born? Maybe Vamon is just a racist. Or maybe there is a bit of a hierarchy based on the Azadi people who have, I guess..."always been Azadi" vs. those who were brought in through occupation/expansion. 

I'm not sure about any of that, just something I've been mulling over since I read your post. 

Assuming Magnus is from Stark, Etta must be part of a very high class/royal family ( hence the warrior princess ) and the whole thing: magical race female falling in love and having a baby with a human, didn't go over very well.

The main thing that bothers me about the "Etta is Kian's mother" theory is the lullaby. If she sung a lullaby from her country, wouldn't she do that in her country's language?

I think it's hard to speculate on exactly what Etta's class standing might be since we're way back to square one on who (or what?) she even is. I'm also unsure on if "princess" is meant as literal or figurative at this point. That, and I always felt that it was implied that said Princess was April, and that line did come from Crow...so he could just be, you know...being Crow. 

Though I'm not opposed to the idea. Etta could be some sort of high born...whatever-the-heck-she-is. And the star-crossed lovers thing with her and Magnus also could play a role in why they're in the HoAW. 

As far as Etta being Kian's mother and the language thing... Still not sure how I feel on the theory, but with Alltongue / Na'ven being a thing, it's not all that hard to handwave this detail. 

• Mr Moo likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#90 DarkPerson

DarkPerson

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:20

Maybe we are wrong about some of the stuff. We assumed that he was related to the six. But what if he is related to the prophet? Singing seems to be an important theme at the moment. Maybe he knows about the singing to the stones spell from the original dreamfall. That way he could return back to the Journey man inn and travel to the tower using the underground tunnels. The prophet proved that it was possible to teleport using the dream chamber. Maybe prophet is a dreamer too. Which makes kian a half dreamer?

Rebels knew about the underground chamber, maybe they are expecting kian to open the magic gate below the inn to let them get close to the tower.

Ragnar once hinted that Azadi don't actually hate magic. They are simply trying to control it. If the prophet is an Azadi, he definately used a spell to open that door. Ragnar also mentioned that Kian's backstory ties everything up. This might mean that there is more to her mother.

A far fetched theory: Maybe the tower needs a guardian just like gordon. But instead of a shifter, maybe this one needs two dreamers; one in Stark and one in Arcadia.  Maybe there is a reason the people in power don't want to kill Zoe and Kian. Maybe they are both needed.

No, he does not say that at all! I'm curious to hear which line you're referring to — obviously Scottish dialect plus muffling can result in some odd interpretations :)

Etta is NOT Dolmari. Yeah, the blue-ish skin can be confusing, but hey, other species have blue skin, too!

You'll learn more about both Etta and Magnus soon.

Keep them theories coming, I'm loving it!

So the short stories are about them then? :)

#91 Silvirish4ever

Silvirish4ever

Vestrum Crier

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationTop of the world

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:15

A far fetched theory: Maybe the tower needs a guardian just like gordon. But instead of a shifter, maybe this one needs two dreamers; one in Stark and one in Arcadia.  Maybe there is a reason the people in power don't want to kill Zoe and Kian. Maybe they are both needed.

Well, they looked pretty keen on executing Kian ASAP to me. And I don't think the rebel's purpose in saving him is to have him guard the Azadi tower. So Zoë, maybe. But Kian... That doesn't hold up.

And also, I am pretty confused on this point: was it ever said that there was only ONE dreamer, or could there be more, like in the case of shifters?

Kian must have some sort of special power, though. No main character of these games has ever been "powerless". But following the tradition (first April being a shifter and then Zoë being a dreamer), Kian could probably have a new power that we don't know about yet. Maybe sensing other's powers? Which is why he felt "something" from April? (Then again, he didn't feel anything coming off Zoë...)

• DollyDagger likes this

Leader of the League of Glasses! If you are a fellow glasses wearer, or just find glasses cool, join us!

Solving mysteries with my punch-line-expert partner - Goatee-S. strokebeard.gif

#92 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:24

Rebels saved Kian because he is their key to Tower. They want to attack it. Well Tower can be a source behind Azadi technology and power (captured dreams from Stark in Dream Chamber). But Kian's origins are very important. The mention of his mother. I pretty like Kian! Future KING.

And its awesome that Kian IS THE AZADI! Maybe he will free his people from dark conspiracy and dark man/woman in cloak...

• DollyDagger likes this

#93 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 712 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:25

Etta may be a former Guardian, but if so it's not connected to the 1950s. Adrian was Guardian from somewhere around year 1000 A.D. until the events of TLJ. Remember that each Guardian has a 1000-year long tenure, and that Adrian was 200 years over-due

Cortez certainly lived through the 50's, just because they've styled themselves a bit rockabilly doesn't necessarily mean April was born in the 50's. Then again, maybe she was, but they let her off in the late 2190's.
  • agirlnamedbob likes this

#94 somnolentsurfer

somnolentsurfer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationBradford, UK

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:29

And also, I am pretty confused on this point: was it ever said that there was only ONE dreamer, or could there be more, like in the case of shifters?

The trailer said there was one known dreamer.

• aeonfluxx75 and DollyDagger like this

#95 DarkPerson

DarkPerson

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:50

Well, they looked pretty keen on executing Kian ASAP to me. And I don't think the rebel's purpose in saving him is to have him guard the Azadi tower. So Zoë, maybe. But Kian... That doesn't hold up.

Kian must have some sort of special power, though. No main character of these games has ever been "powerless". But following the tradition (first April being a shifter and then Zoë being a dreamer), Kian could probably have a new power that we don't know about yet. Maybe sensing other's powers? Which is why he felt "something" from April? (Then again, he didn't feel anything coming off Zoë...)

I meant the six. Vamon is trying to kill her. But the six doesn't want to.(maybe)

Kian might be simply another shifter. Since April is gone, he could fill the quota of the shifters in this game.

#96 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:55

Prophet was against Kian from the start. That's very important!

#97 Flo

Flo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:14

Rampant speculation: The Azadi are siphoning off dreams from Stark in an effort to create an army of Azadi Dreamers to invade Stark.

#98 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2739 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:33

Rampant speculation: The Azadi are siphoning off dreams from Stark in an effort to create an army of Azadi Dreamers to invade Stark.

From Kickstarter DFC description:

In our world, Stark, the shadowy corporation WatiCorp has released the Dreamer. Half the world is hooked up to the dream machine, and society is crumbling. And in Marcuria, the Azadi are cementing their power once more, while their mystical tower continues to harvest dreams.

Unless something is done, unless our heroes can awake and be reborn, the future is bleak. What is WatiCorp planning? Who is the Prophet? How are the Azadi involved?

The answers to those questions will be found in Dreamfall Chapters.

• agirlnamedbob and DollyDagger like this

#99 skadet

skadet

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4559 posts
  • LocationÅmot, Norway

Posted 27 October 2014 - 18:44

I just read through this and although I don't have any theories of my own about Kian and his heritage, I'm very good at shooting down other people's theories in my head xD

Example #1: "Kian is Magnus and Etta's son."
Response: "How does a white man and a green woman produce a light brown son? Nope." (It's a miracle Saga was born white and not.. a pale, shimmery green xD)

Example #2: "Kian is originally from Stark."
Response: "Born with those markings on his body? Nope. Counterpoint: Could be painted on. Counterpoint: As if he would be able to do so in a jail cell containing bare necessities. Nope."

I don't think he's directly related to April, and I have no idea who his mother is. Was. Or his father. D:
I kinda feel like I have too little information to go on to even guess. I like reading everyone else's theories, though! :D

• DollyDagger likes this

My Twitter & Instagram & Twitch ... for your viewing pleasure.

#100 Flo

Flo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 18:49

Example #1: "Kian is Magnus and Etta's son."
Response: "How does a white man and a green woman produce a light brown son? Nope." (It's a miracle Saga was born white and not.. a pale, shimmery green xD)

Magic. Obviously.

Example #2: "Kian is originally from Stark."
Response: "Born with those markings on his body? Nope. Counterpoint: Could be painted on. Counterpoint: As if he would be able to do so in a jail cell containing bare necessities. Nope."

Tattoos.
  • DollyDagger likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kian, kian alvane, speculation, spoilers, backstory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users