Photo

Kian's Backstory (Speculation & Spoilers)

kian kian alvane speculation spoilers backstory

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#21 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 711 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:54

Just remember: Kian is 5 years older than April. Although, what with all of the Time-foolery™ of the HoAW...

Yes, Magnus (guy from the house of all worlds) says: "You Dolmari and your ...etc. "

Quote? The Dolmari are very much blue, while Etta is greener and her skin sort of... sparkles.

OMFG ETTA IS A TWILIGHT VAMPIRE

EDIT: Kristian, that's known as euhemerism or, basically, 'mythologising'

• agirlnamedbob, TalkingOak, khh and 4 others like this

#22 Flo

Flo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:56

Though how fucking unlucky do you have to be to have not ONE but TWO babies shift away to another world?

What if Kian is actually from Stark and that's where his innate distrust of magic comes from?

And if we take The Balance literally, what if every person from Stark shifting to Arcadia means that an Arcadian winds up in Stark, and vice versa?

#23 LeChuck

LeChuck

Rubber Ducky

• Drachkin
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:58

Just remember: Kian is 5 years older than April. Although, what with all of the Time-foolery™ of the HoAW...

Quote? The Dolmari are very much blue, while Etta is greener and her skin sort of... sparkles.

OMFG ETTA IS A TWILIGHT VAMPIRE

EDIT: Kristian, that's known as euhemerism or, basically, 'mythologising'

Sorry, no real quote !

But I`m pretty sure, he said s.th. along the lines: "You Dolmari, and your (sixth sense)."

Sorry, again.

edit: I watched the ending one more time. And he does NOT say this !

My fault. I take it back.

• inspector likes this
Ragnar Tornquist (Twitter): "Kiss or no kiss, he's always been (and will always be) gay!"

#24 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 25 October 2014 - 23:11

you dont know if they have always been blue, or if they are all blue. Green is very close to blue. She also uses the 'by the stars' type phrases that Tun uses. Also check out be bedroom decor.
Shes Dolmari.

• inspector likes this

#25 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 25 October 2014 - 23:14

Maybe they're like Star Wars Twi'lek, they come in many colors!  :P

EDIT: @wandrew: you mean Kian is 5 years younger than April, not older, right?

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#26 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 711 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 23:17

The main confounder here is Lorhan in TLJ. He seems to have the sticky-outy ears of the statues on Alais, which we're told was a Dolmari resort. But he's pink-skinned and covered in white hair, and neither Tun nor Ulen have those sticky outy ears. It's been suggested that they might have been a servant species to the Dolmari.

I seem to remember someone (me?) asking Ragnar about it, but I can't for the life of me remember the answer (I'm great like that).

• agirlnamedbob and Layara like this

#27 Bruno

Bruno

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2420 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 25 October 2014 - 23:17

Maybe she's colour blind!

Bruno Espadana, no panda abuser.

I have a website - and also an Instagram account!

#28 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 October 2014 - 23:24

The main confounder here is Lorhan in TLJ. He seems to have the sticky-outy ears of the statues on Alais, which we're told was a Dolmari resort. But he's pink-skinned and covered in white hair, and neither Tun nor Ulen have those sticky outy ears. It's been suggested that they might have been a servant species to the Dolmari.

I seem to remember someone (me?) asking Ragnar about it, but I can't for the life of me remember the answer (I'm great like that).

Oh, I remember this happening as well. And just as uselessly, I can't quite remember the answer nor where we got it.

But I'm my gut feeling is "No, he's another race" and "The Unstreaming".

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#29 WorldsReunited

WorldsReunited

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 23:35

I think Etta might be Dolmari (on my low quality PC she looks kinda... blue), but as far as a line saying that she is Dolmari... no such luck. I have waddled around the House for 15 minutes just now and another 10 when writing the guide and I did 2 playthroughs before that and I have not heard that line before. Also just a thought... she could be a half-breed, just like Minstrum Madga is half Zhid, but doesn't seem to have all of their defining characteristics. Just a thought.  ;)

• khh likes this

#30 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 October 2014 - 23:40

I will say that Etta's sparkly-ness does seem to be purposeful. Which may be also why I was confused as to what she was?

Spoiler

But maybe we should take speculation about Etta to another thread? 

Re: Ages - April is 18 in TLJ. 10 year gap would make her 28 in Dreamfall. I had to check Kian on the Wiki, but it says he's 35 in DF on the Wiki. So that's actually a 7 year gap, but Kian is older. But as Wandrew said, HoAW is outside of time, so it kind of fucks everything up. 

What if Kian is actually from Stark and that's where his innate distrust of magic comes from?

And if we take The Balance literally, what if every person from Stark shifting to Arcadia means that an Arcadian winds up in Stark, and vice versa?

Hmm...I really want to see Kian IN Stark, but I never really considered the possibility that he may be of Stark. His hatred of magic stems from his upbringing as an Azadi, AFAIK, but the idea of Kian having been born in Stark could be interesting. 

Spoiler

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#31 Flo

Flo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 23:43

HoAW is outside of time, so it kind of fucks everything up.

All the Worlds and all the times. The most convenient Deus Ex Machina imaginable.

Intriguing and maddening all at the same time!
  • WorldsReunited and agirlnamedbob like this

#32 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 23:43

maybe they are only blue if they get a sun tan ? Etta is in doors all the time.
  • Bruno likes this

#33 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 October 2014 - 23:46

I will say that Etta's sparkly-ness does seem to be purposeful. Which may be also why I was confused as to what she was?

Yeah, but if you look at it Magnus is also ridiculously handsome. He's practically the embodiment of the male Elvis Presley school of cool. And Etna is more or less the embodiment of the 50s ideal woman. This can't be coincidental, can it?

• WorldsReunited and agirlnamedbob like this

April Ryan is my friend,

#34 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 23:55

Yeah, but if you look at it Magnus is also ridiculously handsome. He's practically the embodiment of the male Elvis Presley school of cool. And Etna is more or less the embodiment of the 50s ideal woman. This can't be coincidental, can it?

I guess this is now kinda off topic. But anyway, this is why I thought they met after reunification. When the world kinda took a step back in terms of technology and maybe even culture, and there was bit more magic.

#35 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 October 2014 - 00:02

Yeah, while this conversation is interesting, we're waaaaay off topic. Should I make an Etta and Magnus thread? 

#36 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 00:10

Yeah, while this conversation is interesting, we're waaaaay off topic. Should I make an Etta and Magnus thread? 

I worry that we need vertical rather than horizontal depth, and that cross disciplinary cooperation is the only viable path to innovation.

(Which is corporate speak for "I think we have the best ideas and find the coolest answers when we just spin wildly of each others posts. Those might not be the answers we were looking for, but maybe that's cause we didn't know we should be looking.")

But it is your thread - you decide the level of off-topicness you want in it.

• wandrew, WorldsReunited, Flo and 2 others like this

April Ryan is my friend,

#37 Flo

Flo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 00:13

The "Alvane" surname alone connects Kian to the House of All Worlds. I don't think this is strictly off-topic, it's just that we're not clear on the connections just yet.

#38 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 October 2014 - 00:21

Whatever, I'm fine with spitballing until we hit on something. Not like this forum has ever had a reputation for staying even remotely OT. And I do think there is a connection to Kian buried somewhere in here. Just don't know what it is yet. 

But back to Etta - I'm still not sure what I make of the 50's aesthetic in the HoAW. The decor is very pop art, which personally I love. (Though it seems a bit odd the number of pictures of Etta that are around. Maybe Magnus is an artist if Etta's a writer...?) 

Time is such a weird concept with the HoAW that it's hard to pin down anything with that, though. I mean, April ends up there in a time that should be post War of the Balance, even though it's prior to the war in her reality.  So it's pretty easy to handwave the 50's stuff, regardless of what war they're possibly taking refuge from. 

• somnolentsurfer and DollyDagger like this

#39 Silvirish4ever

Silvirish4ever

Vestrum Crier

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationTop of the world

Posted 26 October 2014 - 00:23

I worry that we need vertical rather than horizontal depth, and that cross disciplinary cooperation is the only viable path to innovation.

(Which is corporate speak for "I think we have the best ideas and find the coolest answers when we just spin wildly of each others posts. Those might not be the answers we were looking for, but maybe that's cause we didn't know we should be looking.")

But it is your thread - you decide the level of off-topicness you want in it.

Lol talking from experience from the Funcom forums? That was certainly a hotspot of wild spins, as well as interesting (and pretty mental) theories :D

As to Kian backstory, the only things I have clear is that he has probably received external help to become an Apostle, even if he himself doesn't know about it, and that he sees his trainer (that readhead guy with the funny accent whose name I cannot remember right now) as a father figure/mentor. I hope he makes a reappearance, because for an Azadi, he was the closest thing to a rebel, and that makes him cool in my books.

• WorldsReunited, agirlnamedbob, khh and 3 others like this

Leader of the League of Glasses! If you are a fellow glasses wearer, or just find glasses cool, join us!

Solving mysteries with my punch-line-expert partner - Goatee-S. strokebeard.gif

#40 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 October 2014 - 00:25

Lol talking from experience from the Funcom forums? That was certainly a hotspot of wild spins, as well as interesting (and pretty mental) theories :D

I will have to say, these recent developments certainly shit all over the Sex Changed Kian = Lady Alvane theory that I'm so fond of. 

• wandrew, Silvirish4ever, Layara and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kian, kian alvane, speculation, spoilers, backstory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users