Photo

Kian's Backstory (Speculation & Spoilers)

kian kian alvane speculation spoilers backstory

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#1 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 October 2014 - 17:23

So, I know this topic has been touched on in a few other threads, but with all the rampant speculation going on with DFC's other playable characters, I thought poor Kian deserved his own thread. 

So, let's start this off. 

Some points to consider: 

1. We know from what was said in Dreamfall that Kian is a low-born and lacking in lineage (he's an orphan.) 
  2. We finally hear Kian discuss his mother some in DFC, between the lullaby and his words about her death. 
  3. Kian seems to have some sort of weird affinity / connection with April the moment he meets her. 

The April/Kian siblings theory is a popular one, though I've personally always felt that like April's relationship to the Kin, April and Kian's relationship is probably more complicated than it may first appear. 

I also felt like the evocative language Kian used to describe his mother's death was a very purposeful link to what happened to April. I haven't yet made up my mind on what I think that means...but I definitely feel this was purposeful and we're meant to see a connection there. (It may be another link, it may just be a story tool to create a sense of unity / transition between the parts of the story, or more likely (IMHO) both).

So what do you guys think? What's your pet theory about Kian's mysterious origins? 

• TalkingOak, khh, Riaise and 4 others like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#2 TalkingOak

TalkingOak

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7389 posts
  • LocationBeyond the Fields We Know

Posted 25 October 2014 - 17:27

Spoiler

• inspector likes this
The Talking Oak
aka. Ben
~-~

Twitter - Steam - GOG - Blog - Instagram - Good Reads

#3 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 October 2014 - 17:41

When you have Kian obsessively examine the napkin, he accidentally implies he's from the merchant classes. I don't know how much weight to put on a comment like this.

• wandrew, WorldsReunited and agirlnamedbob like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#4 Jecica

Jecica

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted 25 October 2014 - 19:58

He was a collector of fine napkins, apparently!

• wandrew, agirlnamedbob and msierchio like this

"We have seen it all, yes, and we remember. We remember because we pass the stories on, from Harbinger of the Balance to A Rubber Ducky, throughout the centuries. Do you want to hear one of our stories?
Ask us, ask. Ask about
the Pizza, the Thief and the Time..."

#5 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 October 2014 - 20:15

Spoiler

#6 DollyDagger

DollyDagger

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 25 October 2014 - 21:53

Dear Kian! I completely love him now, after just playing Friar's Keep. He finally got the stick out of his butt and we got to see him be a human being. Mygod, that lullaby! At first I thought "aw, this is sweet and touching" and then heads started rolling and I thought "good GOD!". And then finding out about his mum! To quote my [post='www.achewood.com']favourite webcomic[/post], "the dude is from Circumstances".

I'm rubbish at coming up with theories about these things, but I'm hugely looking forward to finding out more about him, whether it turns out to be Important Secrets or just background flavour.

• wandrew, agirlnamedbob, khh and 2 others like this

#7 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:07

I'm a huge supporter of the "April and Kian are siblings" theory, but now that we've seen April's (err, I mean Saga's*) parents, holes are starting to appear in that hypothesis (though do not Invalidate it yet). If it is true (*and if Saga is just baby April, as I also believe) then the story would go like this: Etta and Magnus give birth to Saga, she "shifts" to Stark and gets adopted there (becomes April), then they have a second shifter child, Kian who gets lost in Arcadia this time. Thus the mother Kian talks about in DF:C is not his biological one either, but the one who found him as a baby.

That (above) is in my opinion the "simplest" explanation from the clues we've got. But with Book 1 Ragnar proved once again that he knows how to shake things up so I'm losing confidence in all my favorite theories and maybe the truth is even more complicated than that.

Good points about the parallelisms between the deaths of April and Kian's mother, Erika! No idea what that can mean.

Oh, as I was writing this I had an epiphany of shorts! (warning: it's actually a depressing idea) Assuming again that Saga=April and Kian has Etta and Magnus as parents as well, imagine a long tragic story where: this beloved couple first "lose" their (shifter) daughter and then somehow also "lose" the House of All Worlds, then maybe Magnus gets killed leaving a depressed (and maybe impoverished) Etta In Arcadia with baby Kian until the events that Kian remembers here (Etta jumping to her death from the city walls). :(

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#8 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:24

Spoiler

I'd be lying if I said a thought sort of along these lines didn't occur to me. ...Still not sure how I feel about even having the thought, though.

When you have Kian obsessively examine the napkin, he accidentally implies he's from the merchant classes. I don't know how much weight to put on a comment like this.

Oooo, interesting. I missed that. *notes for next playthrough* Though I wonder if he means his family that he was born into was of the merchant class...? Or that whoever raised him after he was orphaned was of the merchant class? (What the hell happened to his dad...?) 

We're also a little fuzzy on the ins and outs of Azadi society, here. Curious to learn more on that front. 

Oh, as I was writing this I had an epiphany of shorts! (warning: it's actually a depressing idea) Assuming again that Saga=April and Kian has Etta and Magnus as parents as well, imagine a long tragic story where: this beloved couple first "lose" their (shifter) daughter and then somehow also "lose" the House of All Worlds, then maybe Magnus gets killed leaving a depressed (and maybe impoverished) Etta In Arcadia with baby Kian until the events that Kian remembers here (Etta jumping to her death from the city walls). :(

I explored a similar line of thought, here, but I'm not sure. I mean, Etta is very obviously not a normal human, so I can't see her being able to just hang out in Azadi society. I mean, granted, that in and of itself could be enough to make her want to jump off a cliff, but the whole scenario seems very unlikely. It also seems unlikely that Kian would have been raised in Azadi society, were this the case. 

To your earlier points...it's possible. Though how fucking unlucky do you have to be to have not ONE but TWO babies shift away to another world? Also, I'm a little unclear on how shifting works in regards to the HoAW. Lady Alvane implied that April couldn't just shift there the same way she could to Arcadia (I thought...?), but if LA is some incarnation of April, then it might be a moot point. 

I'm still wondering if Kian has a connection to one of the other of the Kin. I believe I brought this up briefly in another thread. April's (and Saga's) connection to the White seems much more nebulous and complicated than a simple blood relationship. It seems much bigger, much more a thing in the hands of the universe and the Balance, etc. I'm curious if Kian has something similar going on in that respect. Maybe not even with the Kin. Maybe with something else. I mean, the Six and much of Azadi culture is still very open for speculation. And it's been loosely implied that someone on high has taken a liking to Kian and may have had a hand in his meteoric rise as an Apostle. 

• khh, Layara and DollyDagger like this

#9 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:28

Etta is very obviously not a normal human

Etta is the same race as Tun Luiec from TLJ. She even says, by the stars etc. Sagas room is also decked out in stars.
I just cant remeber her race. Maybe some one can enlighten me/us.

West house says the Azadi are not closed to outsiders as long as you respect their customs... maybe she might have gotten away with it, I don't think they are the most magical race.
  • agirlnamedbob and Mr Moo like this

#10 LeChuck

LeChuck

Rubber Ducky

• Drachkin
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:30

Etta is a Dolmari woman ! :)

• DollyDagger likes this
Ragnar Tornquist (Twitter): "Kiss or no kiss, he's always been (and will always be) gay!"

#11 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:33

Etta is a Dolmari woman ! :)

Yeah that sounds like it :)

#12 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:33

Yeah. What LeChuck said. Tun Luiec is a Dolmari. Etta does seem to be a Dolmari, but since a lot about her is unknown, I wasn't 100% sure on that. (It might just be because she's got the full 50's aesthetic thing going on, though. I've never seen a Dolmari in pinup heels, high waisted pants, and a neck scarf before.) 

• DollyDagger likes this

#13 LeChuck

LeChuck

Rubber Ducky

• Drachkin
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationArcadia

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:36

Yeah. What LeChuck said. Tun Luiec is a Dolmari. Etta does seem to be a Dolmari, but since a lot about her is unknown, I wasn't 100% sure on that. (It might just be because she's got the full 50's aesthetic thing going on, though. I've never seen a Dolmari in pinup heels, high waisted pants, and a neck scarf before.) 

Yes, Magnus (guy from the house of all worlds) says: "You Dolmari and your ...etc. "

He takes refrence there at the very end of Chapters !

edit: Thank you for this Thread. I`m very interested in Kian`s Backstory as well.

Ragnar Tornquist (Twitter): "Kiss or no kiss, he's always been (and will always be) gay!"

#14 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:38

Man, I need to listen better. I totally missed that Magnus said it. Though I was really (really, really, really) fried by the time I hit that part of the game. 

Still, I think my point stands. Would the Azadi keep a baby that is apparently half Dolmari? 

• khh likes this

#15 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:40

I guess we should also consider that maybe what the Azadi are doing in the Northlands isn't entirely in keeping with the edicts of their society. Something is seriously wrong, after all. Though Kian should have reacted differently, if that were the case.

April Ryan is my friend,

#16 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:45

Adding more fuel to the fire, I've always found the few snippets we got about the Azadi Goddess to be ... intriguing. I have a feeling that the very core of the Azadi religion will prove important to the main story of the Dreamer/the Undreaming and that their "Goddess" has strong ties to the Balance, the Draic Kin, Kian's backstory/origins and/or ... April herself (all with a bit of time-travelling courtesy of the House of All Worlds).

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#17 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:48

I think that Azadi aren't evil people but now they're played by Prophet.

#18 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:49

Adding more fuel to the fire, I've always found the few snippets we got about the Azadi Goddess to be ... intriguing. I have a feeling that the very core of the Azadi religion will prove important to the main story of the Dreamer/the Undreaming and that their "Goddess" has strong ties to the Balance, the Draic Kin, Kian's backstory/origins and/or ... April herself (all with a bit of time-travelling courtesy of the House of All Worlds).

Someone at the funcom forum once launched the theory that the mythology of the Godess sprang from the imagery of the first guardian (who was a woman), but was perverted and ... religious-ified? Wandrew, what is the proper word for that?

• wandrew, WorldsReunited and DollyDagger like this

April Ryan is my friend,

#19 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:52

I guess we should also consider that maybe what the Azadi are doing in the Northlands isn't entirely in keeping with the edicts of their society. Something is seriously wrong, after all. Though Kian should have reacted differently, if that were the case.

This is true, but I don't think their hatred of magicals is overblown. Don't the Six say some pretty damning things about all of that when they send Kian after The Scorpion? 

But yeah, to your point Giorgos, I do expect to find out more about Azadi society in the future. And I feel like who or what the Goddess actually is will become important. Maybe that's part of why the Rebels need Kian? Maybe they figured something out with the Azadi, and that's why they need Kian. I wouldn't be surprised if when we get to catch back up with Kian in Book Two, the Rebels know more about the truth of some of this stuff than he does. 

• Pawlo_86, DollyDagger and inspector like this

#20 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:53

Spoiler

• agirlnamedbob likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: kian, kian alvane, speculation, spoilers, backstory

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users