#3601 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 October 2019 - 22:34

A part of new KS update:

"For various reasons, including licensing terms, Red Thread Games is not working on any new games or stories set in The Longest Journey or Dreamfall universe(s). We do have two new games in development, however — Svalbard and Dustborn — and if you enjoyed Dreamfall Chapters, you might enjoy these games, too. So please consider staying in touch."

#3602 Teller

Teller

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1939 posts
  • LocationAlais

Posted 18 October 2019 - 03:03

Yeah, that made me very very sad. :(

• popcorngal and NeilClaimer like this

Remember Alatiens that the spirits of their Tellers watch out for you when you most need it.

-Christine-
Dream Traveller

Cannon Stroker
Adventure Gamer
Group Hugger

Dream Blogger
Upping the perviness factor of the Salty Seaman since 2013.

#3603 AlraM

AlraM

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • LocationThe Emerald and Sunny City of Bucharest

Posted 19 October 2019 - 18:04

That breaks my heart a little, but...

I use the TLJ universe SO MUCH in my personal dungeons and dragons games, that I feel super duper connected with it all in a super-personal way. It's so sweet in a way lol. I should really draw some (fan)art to explain how intense these things are in my book lol :P

As a side-note, I'd still be so honored to work in a company like Red Thread Games :) I know the heart's simply in the right place :)

• IorekB and ct2651 like this

:sotb:--;@  :wub:  The world is moved by illusions. So be... cautious.  :wub: @;-- :sotb:

#3604 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1358 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 24 October 2019 - 21:59

Twitter isn't playing nicely with my laptop right now, but RTG indicated that they may be doing an in-person event at their Oslo offices in the next few weeks - a reception to mark the completion of all the pieces of the final, higher-tier backer boxes.  A recent tweet provided a link to a sign-up form if you're interested.

• popcorngal and MisterMetropolis like this

#3605 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6169 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 09:11

A part of new KS update:

"For various reasons, including licensing terms, Red Thread Games is not working on any new games or stories set in The Longest Journey or Dreamfall universe(s). We do have two new games in development, however — Svalbard and Dustborn — and if you enjoyed Dreamfall Chapters, you might enjoy these games, too. So please consider staying in touch."

Source of joy for me, really. Svalbard still in development. * phew *

It is, of course, quite clear that FunCom will let the license die. At this point however, I wouldn't trust anyone with a sequel, and in particular, I wouldn't trust RTG with "The Longest Journey Home", because it would not even remotely be the thing they'd claimed to do. :|

Anyway. Good news, that. ;)

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#3606 IorekB

IorekB

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 October 2019 - 19:17

It is, of course, quite clear that FunCom will let the license die. At this point however, I wouldn't trust anyone with a sequel, and in particular, I wouldn't trust RTG with "The Longest Journey Home", because it would not even remotely be the thing they'd claimed to do. :|

Hey, just curious, having been out of the loop for a while: could you elaborate a bit? I only remember the discussions back in the day about TLJ Home as a kickstarter stretch goal, and later the odd comment now and then about what it might cover when it happens.

So, why do you see a departure from the original concept which would qualify as "not even remotely" being what what initially envisaged? Why would Funcom "let the license die"? In theory, RTG should be able to negotiate a deal to revive the license (like with Chapters) as soon as they felt ready and willing to explore the TLJ universe again? What is it that happened that people here in the forums would seem to allude to (if I'm reading this correctly) RTG possibly being somewhat soured on the franchise (which I hope is wrong, just being silly me getting the wrong impression?)?

Sorry for the inquisitive questions, but the saga (and, having played Chapters recently for the first time, Saga as well ;) ) is close to my heart, it worries me that it should be stuck someplace for good... :huh: Thanks for any info (preferably lifting spirits ;) :D B) ), mightily appreciated!

#3607 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1358 posts

Posted 30 October 2019 - 21:13

It was never super-clear what the licensing terms with Funcom were for DFC, but I am willing to guess that, as a modestly successful indie developer, RTG probably needs to stick to intellectual properties that they fully own, so that they can retain any/all revenue.
  • Chocobo_sage likes this

#3608 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 01:06

Source of joy for me, really. Svalbard still in development. * phew *

Anyway. Good news, that. ;)

Because even if RTG wanted, they dont have the kind of budget it needed... unless they do only a really retro style game.

#3609 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 October 2019 - 15:49

We need TLJH because story started in TLJ still isn't finished. Lady Alvane needs to tell Crow a story about Warrior Princess and War Of The Balance. After Dreamfall Chapters we are at middle part of the saga.

#3610 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 31 October 2019 - 19:32

It's not that they're soured of the story now, it's more like the story is over. Dreamfall Chapters became a lot bigger than they anticipated at first and told a lot of the rest of the story of the saga, which is why they don't feel like ever making TLJH as a game at least for now. Will the saga be revisited in some other form some day? I could see that.

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#3611 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 November 2019 - 10:09

Original plan for TLJ trilogy: (2006)

The Longest Journey
Dreamfall + Dreamfall 2
The Longest Journey 2

The story isn't finished yet.
  • Chocobo_sage likes this

#3612 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 02 November 2019 - 13:16

I think there's no going back to that quality of the writing that TLJ and Dreamfall had, not to mention the budget. Dreamfall Chapters ruined the franchise for me just like season 2 of Westworld, so I feel it's for the best that no games in this universe are happening.

#3613 IorekB

IorekB

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 November 2019 - 19:15

Hey guys'n'gals, thanks for the responses! So if I understand it correctly, both budgetary considerations as well as changed plans regarding what story elements to cover might play out in making TLJ Home a bit difficult to happen. Happy to hear though that none of you would seem to assume that the TLJ universe won't be revisited at all - hope dies last, and at least there's not that much of an excruciating cliffhanger to be dealt with this time around...! :D

Oh, and regarding story elements planned for TLJ Home presumably having been drawn into Chapters, this easily aligns with my feeling of a very generous total playtime having been achieved for the latter... I remember vaguely that RTG was aiming to exceed the 10 hour mark (?) back in the Kickstarter days, and my Steam client indicates more than 30 hours (!) for our recent playthrough of Chapters - way more than I had been allowing myself to hope for... :)

I still think the universe is pretty much unique with its savvy blend of sci-fi and fantasy, and the human interactions and societal aspects portrayed. Both worlds nicely play out in their developments and its very refreshing to delve into the contrast between them time and time again during the games' stories evolving.

• popcorngal likes this

#3614 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1358 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 01:43

Kickstarter update 120 was posted: https://www.kickstar...y/posts/2681303

RTG is going ahead with an in-person event for "special edition" backers ($200 and up) on Friday, November 22.  RSVP here by this Friday, November 15 here: https://docs.google....m?usp=send_form

If you go, take lots of pictures!

• popcorngal, IorekB, Alcarmo and 2 others like this

#3615 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 21:29

Aw I signed up but I don't think I did it in time because I didn't get an invite (weren't they supposed to be sent out by today?). If that's the case it's good that a lot of people cared enough to sign up.

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#3616 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 16 November 2019 - 15:35

It seems the invites went out shortly before midnight Oslo time. At least that's when I received mine 😊
Hope you got one as well, MisterMetropolis!

I wonder who else are going. It's been so long since the kickstarter so I don't quite remember who got the higher tiers.
  • popcorngal, Ringtail, MisterMetropolis and 2 others like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#3617 ChrisR

ChrisR

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 24 November 2019 - 10:51

The items in the boxes look not secured properly, I'm afraid they could got damaged. I hope those of you who got to visit the office had a nice time.

#3618 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 26 November 2019 - 21:40

Most items in the box fits quite snugly. The Tome of the Balance is quite secure, and most items are the same size as the box. The game box and the CD will slide around a bit, but not a lot because there isn't much headspace. And I don't think they will be damaged by that sliding. The Watilla USB's doesn't fit in the box because there isn't enough headspace.

So I don't think anything should be damaged in the mail - as long as the actual box is properly packaged and secured. At least as long as the boxes contains the Tome of the Balance.. 

And yes, I think everyone had a nice time :) I saw both known and unknown faces :)

• popcorngal, Ringtail, IorekB and 2 others like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#3619 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 29 November 2019 - 23:39

My Wonkers USB was blank lol was there supposed to be anything on it?

#3620 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 721 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:27

Hoping Australia get deliveries soon!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twitter, facebook, RTG, information, summary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users