#3481 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1283 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 26 June 2017 - 17:20

The confusion comes from Ragnar claiming the game is "episodic" when in fact it has simply remained "incomplete" all this time.

#3482 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 26 June 2017 - 18:48

Yeah, that's basically my concern here.

The episodic shift was hard to swallow for a lot of people.

Effort went into convincing people that the episodic experience was a great way to play (and the INTENDED way to play) and people shouldn't feel like they're missing out by going that route.

Even as it became more clear that the episodic version was missing stuff, that idea... That this was a complete experience and how they wanted the game to be played... Was still there.

Selling everyone on the final cut this way when a lot of people are already really really frustrated just... I feel squishy about it. I don't like it. YMMV.
  • ct2651 likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#3483 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1283 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 26 June 2017 - 19:10

Heh well you can probably guess my mileage already. That misleading idea was still there because Ragnar used it to maximise sales.

• ct2651 likes this

#3484 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:51

Yeah, that's basically my concern here.

The episodic shift was hard to swallow for a lot of people.

Effort went into convincing people that the episodic experience was a great way to play (and the INTENDED way to play) and people shouldn't feel like they're missing out by going that route.

Even as it became more clear that the episodic version was missing stuff, that idea... That this was a complete experience and how they wanted the game to be played... Was still there.

Selling everyone on the final cut this way when a lot of people are already really really frustrated just... I feel squishy about it. I don't like it. YMMV.

Well, in the end, it still a company that need money to survive... maybe that's it.

#3485 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 18:58

Well, we got to walk on Propast river, we got to meet Falling Woman and Darkness Guy and actually help them with the power of our brains. We got to hit on our psychotherapist. We've been given a promise by the Vagabond and he didn't just fail to keep it, no, the promise was also erased from existence.

I don't know. I think the Final Cut Firsties WILL have missed out in a way. :ph34r:

• Edreamer Jamil, khh, Ringtail and 3 others like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#3486 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 27 June 2017 - 19:09

Well, we got to walk on Propast river, we got to meet Falling Woman and Darkness Guy and actually help them with the power of our brains. We got to hit on our psychotherapist. We've been given a promise by the Vagabond and he didn't just fail to keep it, no, the promise was also erased from existence.

I don't know. I think the Final Cut Firsties WILL have missed out in a way. :ph34r:

"Shine on, You Crazy Diamond !"

• Chocobo_sage, Valiah and mrKnask like this

#3487 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1626 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 27 June 2017 - 19:21

Also we know of the Umbrella people, witnessed them before they too vanished from existence (I know I keep going on about them but I loved those people !)

Not in the game proper but in watching the early demos we walked among talking Czech trash-bins, hacked a street-droid effectively creating Kid-Bot (and decided to send her to her doom) and wandered through a forest not too far from a dwelling.

We still may wonder who lives there

None of these made it to the complete game, let alone final cut. :)

• khh, Ringtail and NeilClaimer like this

#3488 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 June 2017 - 20:00

I'm not saying that we didn't get to experience things that other people didn't by playing this way (and some of them are great things!).

I'm not even saying that I regret interacting with this project the way I did.

What I'm saying is the way this is being presented rubs me the wrong way given the above context.

Like... I don't need to be convinced of the merits of the game I played or the ride we've been on for the last few years. That's not the issue.
  • Edreamer Jamil, Vainamoinen and Starseeker like this

#3489 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 27 June 2017 - 20:53

I'm not saying that we didn't get to experience things that other people didn't by playing this way (and some of them are great things!).

I'm not even saying that I regret interacting with this project the way I did.

What I'm saying is the way this is being presented rubs me the wrong way given the above context.

Like... I don't need to be convinced of the merits of the game I played or the ride we've been on for the last few years. That's not the issue.

Something something Han shot first something something.

#3490 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6152 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 16:44

Something something Han shot first something something.

So did Falk Friedman. :P

• Edreamer Jamil and Ringtail like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#3491 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 28 June 2017 - 21:47

if there's no cannonstroking meme in the final cut I'm suing :P

• Chocobo_sage, Indrid Cold, NeilClaimer and 2 others like this

#3492 Valiah

Valiah

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 28 June 2017 - 22:35

And if the shrink didn't do it for you, you could also plan a date with Baruti (even if he did end up cancelling on you due to trauma...). 

But to Erika's point... many people voiced a strong dislike for the episodic format, so I can get why they would re-release it as a single non-episodic game once all the episodes had been released. I am sure there are people who would dismiss an episodic game who might be interested in the Final Cut version. And while I don't necessarily agree with all the changes, I can also understand going back and making changes to past books based on player feedback and for the sake of overall cohesion. 

Still I agree, I was disappointed when the final episode was released and I realized things were still missing. I am concerned that most people who have bought the game and played it already will most likely not re-play it when the "Final Cut" is released, unless they are die hard fans. That means most of them will never have the joy of hearing a town-crier shout my name... I wish they had waited to release each episode until it contained all the things it was supposed to contain. At this point I don't want to recommend the game to anyone until the Final Cut is out, because I don't want them to play it before the game is complete.

• TalkingOak, Mr_Russ, Mr Moo and 1 other like this

WARNING: This post may contain opinions, and they might not be yours

#3493 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 00:57

Well, great job on the "The story so far" video, way better than before.

• Morten and khh like this

#3494 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 20:50

Not exactly RTG-related, but potentially of interest. Unclear whether Ragnar's got a role.

• Edreamer Jamil likes this

#3495 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1304 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 21:34

Maybe a friendly neighborhood Norwegian can confirm, but this tweet (in reply to an article), seems to indicate that RTG is still working on a Norwegian translation of DFC. I'm unsure what that means for whether "The Final Cut" is actually final, after all.

#3496 mrKnask

mrKnask

Harbinger of the Balance

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2321 posts
  • LocationOslo-ish, Norway

Posted 23 August 2017 - 23:02

Maybe a friendly neighborhood Norwegian can confirm, but this tweet (in reply to an article), seems to indicate that RTG is still working on a Norwegian translation of DFC. I'm unsure what that means for whether "The Final Cut" is actually final, after all.

https://twitter.com/...432549398360064

Yup, can confirm. "we're working on it, lots and lots of long words..." (or something along those lines...)
  • Edreamer Jamil, Ringtail and NeilClaimer like this

Affirmative, I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and follow you to our next stop
on our depressing journey, what is your command human? How will I be tested now....?

#3497 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 17 November 2017 - 18:39

I'll leave this here.

Make of it what you will. 

• Chocobo_sage, Teller, Edreamer Jamil and 2 others like this

#3498 charmed23

charmed23

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationHo Chi Minh city, Vietnam

Posted 20 November 2017 - 05:11

I'll leave this here.

Make of it what you will. 

Thanks for the update!

Anyway, I just bought the game on PS4, continuing my financial support for RTG and am replaying something I hated. Gosh, my current relationship with RTG is so weird.

• Edreamer Jamil and Veen Friend like this

#3499 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3550 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 12 December 2017 - 13:14

This will probably appear in the locked social media thread as well, but here it is.

(Cue angry "they're just trying to milk us!" comments versus "Yay! They finally listened to us and started selling them again!")

• NeilClaimer likes this

#3500 wandrew

wandrew

RTG Forum Moderator

• 697 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 12 December 2017 - 23:55

Whoops: looks like that incorrect Symbol of the Balance is still doing the rounds Ragnar.

• Jecica, Chocobo_sage, Vainamoinen and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twitter, facebook, RTG, information, summary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users