#3201 Koveras

Koveras

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 June 2016 - 17:10

No, we're not 'bored' with the 'franchise' — not at all. We dearly love this saga, and our fans, and wrapping up Chapters has been an emotional experience for all of us. It's satisfying but heartbreaking, and part of me would love to jump right into TLJH to tell a personal and soulful story about a character I care deeply about…but for many, many reasons I don't think it will happen.

I think you and everyone you work with are awesome people, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :)

I'll first look forward to Book 5 and to hopefully feeling the closure I didn't feel 10 years ago.

That's the most important thing for me, too.
  • Tina, Vainamoinen, Guyra and 2 others like this

#3202 Guyra

Guyra

Vestrum Herald

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1723 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 17:44

I hope it's not "game or nothing". Because I would absolutely not mind reading TLJH instead of playing it, one day in the far future :) For several years I was expecting to some day read Dreamfall Chapters as well, and that was basically what I was waiting for, before the Kickstarter appeared :)

But anyway, I'll first look forward to Book 5 and to hopefully feeling the closure I didn't feel 10 years ago. And then RTG's next games. Hopefully I'll be able to play (or at least watch someone braver play) Draugen and Svalbard, even if I'm basically an "adventure game only" gamer. If anyone's going to convince me to play other game genres, RTG is on the top of the list :)

Yeah, I'd love to see comics or books in the TLJ saga! :D 

And I'm really looking forward to playing Book 5! I'm wondering how the Dreamer story ends! :D 

#3203 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3099 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 19:50

No, we're not 'bored' with the 'franchise' — not at all. We dearly love this saga, and our fans, and wrapping up Chapters has been an emotional experience for all of us. It's satisfying but heartbreaking, and part of me would love to jump right into TLJH to tell a personal and soulful story about a character I care deeply about…but for many, many reasons I don't think it will happen.

OK, now don't take this the wrong way but I've always thought it was because of tiredness (I think it's a more appropriate word than "boredom"). But if it's not... Those many, many reasons scare me. :(

#3204 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 21:04

Technically, one graphic novel and an assortment of short stories should be on their way ... eventually.

• Tina and MisterMetropolis like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#3205 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 21:11

Technically, one graphic novel and an assortment of short stories should be on their way ... eventually.

Don't forget the interactive RecApp, too!

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#3206 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 11 June 2016 - 21:54

The outline of the story exists, and I might share it with you guys some day…

Please take good care of it and don't let anything happen to it... like what happened with the TLJ art... not that that was your fault or that you couldn't rewrite the story outline... It's just not the same when you have to rewrite something from memory... just look at the book of mormon.

• Nathanael likes this

#3207 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 11 June 2016 - 22:05

as I said on facebook if it comes to it being a fan made thing, sign me up for the music! (if Simon doesn't volunteer ofcourse)

#3208 MisterMetropolis

MisterMetropolis

Vestrum Crier

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 22:37

Funcom could do it if they agree to use Ragnar's story outline

"But even if we don't reach that lofty goal this time around, we hope to some day still be able to tell this story. April's story, all of it. All that remains of it. Because it needs to be told. And you all deserve to hear it. And we would love to share it with you." - RTG, March 1, 2013

"Even if we don't get to $2 million, we will still look into ways of making The Longest Journey Home a reality...some day. It's a story we all want to tell, and we won't let it die.- RTG, March 9, 2013

#3209 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 22:39

Don't forget the interactive RecApp, too!

That IS a graphic novel. And the one I meant ... because I only just now understood again that Journeys was another graphic novel RTG pledged to do. Dang, those Kickstarter rewards! There are many.  :P

• MisterMetropolis likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#3210 OptoNick

OptoNick

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:09

With Draugen and Svalbard on the horizon it will be easier for us to wait 7-8 years again for a final decision :)

• Vainamoinen likes this

#3211 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:17

With Draugen and Svalbard on the horizon it will be easier for us to wait 7-8 years again for a final decision :)

As is always the case with projects in eternal limbo, what you probably won't ever get is "a final decision". :)

#3212 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 June 2016 - 13:48

As is always the case with projects in eternal limbo, what you probably won't ever get is "a final decision". :)

I think we have the final decision; it's «We won't be making TLJH». It's not impossible that this will change if the situation changes, but we should still consider it final until told otherwise.
  • Tina, Koveras, Ringtail and 1 other like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3213 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 14:25

I think we have the final decision; it's «We won't be making TLJH». It's not impossible that this will change if the situation changes, but we should still consider it final until told otherwise.

Well, waiting is definitely futile. But I guess a lot of people will still do it, don't you think?

#3214 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 12 June 2016 - 15:49

I won't be waiting but it will be on my Wish List.

#3215 Leonard Zelig

Leonard Zelig

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationCologne (Germany)

Posted 12 June 2016 - 19:16

Is there an estimated release window for the console versions of Dreamfall Chapters?

#3216 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 June 2016 - 19:42

Is there an estimated release window for the console versions of Dreamfall Chapters?

They haven't said anything specific. I'm sure they'd like to have it out as soon as possible, but depending on how much work it takes it's not easy saying when that will be.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3217 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 12 June 2016 - 21:50

Given that RTG seemed able to greenlight TLJH pre-production as a kickstarter goal, it does leave me wondering why now its so unlikely to ever happen. Also given that it seems they would like to make it (I thought maybe they just didn't after this game, but it seems not not be the case)
I guess something going on with Funcom makes it less likely. Would be nice to know what the deal is, and how likely it is to change in a few years.
  • Pawlo_86 likes this

#3218 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6160 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 22:52

It's natural for FunCom to take the license back under their wing for a while. It would be fairly odd for RTG to be the one-IP-studio that doesn't even own the license, so making their own stuff is an idea I heartily welcome. Which takes them ... probably until 2020, let's be honest. Until then, FunCom will have decided whether to go for it themselves. That's where your eyes and ears need to turn to for now if you're hoping for more TLJ stuff.

When Draugen and the Svalbard RPG (which needs more than a working title stat) are out, RTG will have to think long and hard about renewing the FunCom licensing deal. The studio will have developed in a certain direction by then, and it may happen that lending IPs from other companies just isn't their business any more. That they're alienated from that business model entirely. That it's just not a good fit any more. :mellow:

• khh likes this

#3219 Koveras

Koveras

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 June 2016 - 22:55

Given that RTG seemed able to greenlight TLJH pre-production as a kickstarter goal, it does leave me wondering why now its so unlikely to ever happen. Also given that it seems they would like to make it (I thought maybe they just didn't after this game, but it seems not not be the case)
I guess something going on with Funcom makes it less likely. Would be nice to know what the deal is, and how likely it is to change in a few years.

My impression was that something changed after the release of Book Four last year, which is when the statements regarding the continuation of the series suddenly changed tone. I am not sure what the original licensing agreement between Funcom and RTG entailed, but if the license for new TLJ games were, say, set to expire in 2015 and not renewed for whatever reason, then TLJH would clearly be off the table. And if, by some sheer coincidence, Funcom decided to do something with the IP themselves, that would preclude Ragnar and his crew from contributing to the series for a "long, long time". :)

Just some idle thoughts...

EDIT: Ninja'd by the V. :D

#3220 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1862 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 12 June 2016 - 23:00

My impression was that something changed after the release of Book Four last year

I would agree with that. Given what Ragnar has said, I don't think its just a case of wait an see in a few years.
Would just be nice to know what the issue is, because i'll never be able to stop thinking about it lol!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: twitter, facebook, RTG, information, summary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users