9 replies to this topic

#1 plash

plash

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 21:37

I played for 2 hours last night without any issues (aside from a few glitchy graphics). Now when I try to launch from Steam (as I had previously), the process starts and exits without any apparent error. There's nothing in syslog, and stdout looks normal.

I was playing without Primus (i.e., with integrated GPU), and Primus isn't helping.

EDIT: Forgot to mention: Player.log (and prefs, actually) is not written to. It has not been modified since I last played it.

EDIT2: I have verified the game cache to no effect. Removing the Unity configuration files had no effect, and the configuration directory was not recreated by the process before it terminates.

Output without Primus:

Game update: AppID 237850 "Dreamfall Chapters", ProcID 7626, IP 0.0.0.0:0
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/plash/.steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/plash/.steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
Found path: /a/games/SteamApps/common/Dreamfall Chapters/Dreamfall Chapters
Mono path[0] = '/a/games/SteamApps/common/Dreamfall Chapters/Dreamfall Chapters_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/a/games/SteamApps/common/Dreamfall Chapters/Dreamfall Chapters_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/a/games/SteamApps/common/Dreamfall Chapters/Dreamfall Chapters_Data/Mono/etc'
Game removed: AppID 237850 "Dreamfall Chapters", ProcID 7626

Output with launch command "LC_ALL=C primusrun %command%":

Game update: AppID 237850 "Dreamfall Chapters", ProcID 7662, IP 0.0.0.0:0
pid 7666 != 7664, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)
pid 7665 != 7664, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)
Found path: /a/games/SteamApps/common/Dreamfall Chapters/Dreamfall Chapters
Mono path[0] = '/a/games/SteamApps/common/Dreamfall Chapters/Dreamfall Chapters_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/a/games/SteamApps/common/Dreamfall Chapters/Dreamfall Chapters_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/a/games/SteamApps/common/Dreamfall Chapters/Dreamfall Chapters_Data/Mono/etc'
Game removed: AppID 237850 "Dreamfall Chapters", ProcID 7662

The ld.so errors are typical under 64-bit Linux and caused by Steam. Other games (e.g., Borderlands 2) show the same and work fine.

System:

Ubuntu 14.04 x86_64
Intel Core i7-4810MQ, 16GB RAM
nVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M (6.0GB VRAM)
1920 x 1080 display

glxinfo:

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Mobile 
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.1.3
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30

OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.1.3
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

primusrun glxinfo:

OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 870M/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL core profile version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 331.38
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 4.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

OpenGL version string: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.38
OpenGL shading language version string: 4.40 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

#2 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:24

Hi plash - 

Full disclosure, I have no idea how to decipher most of that. Morten will likely be able to take a look when he's back in the office. But I didn't want you to think your issue was being ignored. 

Out of curiosity, have you installed the patch that was released for the Linux version of the game?

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#3 plash

plash

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:06

But I didn't want you to think your issue was being ignored.

Absolutely not! I know the team is exhausted & swamped.

Out of curiosity, have you installed the patch that was released for the Linux version of the game?

If the update has been pushed to Steam, yes. Going by SteamDB and my local Steam logs, I downloaded the game 13 hours (2014-10-24T05:57 UTC) after the Linux depot was last updated (2014-10-23T17:00 UTC, BuildID 419169). To put it simply, the game data on my system has not changed since I last played it.

Observation for the programmers: game save data is stored in

~/.config/RedThreadGames\DreamfallChapters/

As I'm sure they're aware, "/" is the path separator on Linux, not "\". I do doubt this will cause issues, but you just never know.

Please let me know if there is anything I can test or if you need more information.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#4 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:52

Hopefully RTG will be able to get back to you on this after the weekend.

~/.config/RedThreadGames\DreamfallChapters/

As I'm sure they're aware, "/" is the path separator on Linux, not "\". I do doubt this will cause issues, but you just never know.

Please let me know if there is anything I can test or if you need more information.

How curious. But thanks, I've been looking for that info, I'll go add it to the FAQ.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#5 plash

plash

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:49

Uh. I don't know how, but it works now. It must've been related to the init state of my machine. Of course, the one thing I didn't try -- rebooting -- is probably what fixed it. All is well!
  • khh likes this

#6 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:30

Glad you got it sorted. Nice to know "Have you tried turning it off and on again" applies to Linux as well.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#7 plash

plash

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:34

Glad you got it sorted. Nice to know "Have you tried turning it off and on again" applies to Linux as well.

It usually doesn't! That's what makes this strange. I'd expected at least some kind of error or feedback from the process/system about it. This is so much a non-issue on Linux (in my experience), that I don't even think about it. Back on Windows it was always the first naïve thing to try.
  • khh likes this

#8 akomelj

akomelj

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 19:03

It usually doesn't! That's what makes this strange. I'd expected at least some kind of error or feedback from the process/system about it. This is so much a non-issue on Linux (in my experience), that I don't even think about it. Back on Windows it was always the first naïve thing to try.

I had a similar case and have found that I cannot start the game when Chrome web browser is running. No message in logs either...

Chrome browser is using 3D acceleration and that might cause some strange interference. When I shut Chrome down, the game starts without a problem. Try closing all other applications on your system - it might help.

• khh likes this

#9 plash

plash

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 19:12

I had a similar case and have found that I cannot start the game when Chrome web browser is running. No message in logs either...

Chrome browser is using 3D acceleration and that might cause some strange interference. When I shut Chrome down, the game starts without a problem. Try closing all other applications on your system - it might help.

Interesting. I'll test this if it comes up again.

#10 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 29 October 2014 - 17:38

Hmm.. Sorry for being a bit late to the party, but thanks for the interesting read.

Couldn't really decipher anything special from the logs other than it seemed to be trying to start up the game and then suddenly just stopping without further error logging.

I guess weird errors can happen now and then. As you said regarding Chrome, it might be an interference with it using 3D acceleration, but that's also kind of a shot in the dark.

Weird stuff, though. Sorry I can't be of any more help, but glad you got it working by using the standard IT Crowd-solution ;)

Thank you for testing and reporting! 

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Linux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users