164 replies to this topic

#41 WorldsReunited

WorldsReunited

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 19:38

I think thats why we have so many 6 and 7 ratings. No one can give a first chapter a 10, and no one can really be too negative. tbh its pointless to give a rating.

Exactly. But you know-- logic...

#42 CoFFian

CoFFian

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationChelyabinsk, Russia

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:14

IgroMania - ИгроМания (russian gaming magazine) - http://www.igromania..._One_Reborn.htm

Also their video review: Dreamfall Chapters: Book One. Wonderful - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=kV_JUoJcOlQ

Main rating:

Gameplay - 9/10

Graphics - 8/10

Interface - 8/10

Sounds and music - 10/10

Special achievement:

"This cannot be true! Still waiting for April's return."

Special rating:

Nostalgia - 10/10

I forgot about one thing. :( What that guys liked and disliked...

Good things:

• Awesome connection with previous games;
  • Very good detailed and really beautiful world;
  • An exceptional cross between a fairy tale and science fiction;
  • Awesome injection of chinese wisdom...

Bad things:

• disgusting optimization;
  • no Arcaidia;
  • next chapter can destroy all impression.

• Edreamer Jamil and khh like this

Sorry for my bad english...

#43 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1848 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 12 November 2014 - 07:54

another random one here: http://www.onpause.o...s-book-one.html (8.5/10 - good score)

can you tell I've had a few sleepless nights ?

• khh likes this

#44 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:44

http://www.ign.com/a...e-reborn-review

IGN has a review too and gives it 6.5. There's a few flagrant mistakes in the review as well as weird evaluation on "too much conversation". And I think that's because of lazyness from the reviewer not wanting to look into the universe too much which is sad.

I've given these huge points of critique that I have on their comment section:

I must object to a few things:

1. europolis is 3 months after the coma ended
2. umm little impact on choise ? There's 2 very huge impacts that you can have by choises you make as Zoë. I admit that Kian's choises are probably manifesting themself in later books.
3. Furthermore, you might review your review because there's a recap now in version 1.1. That wasn't ready in the initial release of book one.

• khh and Cyren like this

#45 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:49

I found the conversations quite balanced in the second half Chapters. Most of it remains optional. However, it occasionally interferes with gameplay (e.g. darkness sequence) and indeed is too long in some cutscene sequences. Sure, the cutscenes are 'spiced up' with 'choices', but... well, I don't feel the interactivity that much, really. Apart from that and of course the perceived narrative nirvana, the major point of IGN critique is, fanfare, puzzles. Chuck Osborn conflates story and gameplay though. Calling the Shitbot sequence a standout puzzle is considerably misleading. It's just a standout character in a mostly cinematic sequence. :mellow:

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#46 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1848 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:54

IGN was just a reject home for all the reviewers that failed their GameSpy exams. I miss GameSpy.

• khh and delamer like this

#47 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 10:10

Not much happening on the Book 2 review front, but here's a glimpse.

dealspwn.com describes a "wow" effect regarding content. Phillips has spent 7 hours on the episode. Narrative and puzzles supposedly take "a leap in scope". Consequence notifications are assessed to be "slightly overdone"; divergence of consequences are "seriously impressive". Bugs supposedly were "all cosmetic in nature". Of course, Phillips outs himself as a die hard fan when he asks for more "crowmance". No score is given - they wait until the game is finished.

http://www.dealspwn....s-review-199600

The German hobby site adventurecorner.de is floored by the episode's length as well, but sees some tedious reuse of environments particularly in the Europolis segment ("pounding the streets of huge environments for few meagre hotspots"). Some choices feel forced to Glanznig, and he takes an entire paragraph to describe in a non-spoilery way what I'd just call a butterfly effect: A seemingly insignificant choice having far reaching, in no way foreseeable consequences. Well, Glanznig's not a fan of those. Performance is still to be welded, the article notes with a picture of everyone's favorite bot. The more classic puzzles are lauded, yet the reviewer still sees problems with gameplay: "The wheel's not yet revolving smoothly". His advice is to wait until all episodes are in fact released.

http://www.adventure...apters-book-two

Not a review, but of interest concerning the scope of things is the Book 2 entry at howlongtobeat.com. At the time, 6.5 hours seem to be average — and even the present "rushed" time is given as almost six hours.

http://howlongtobeat...me.php?id=24515

• khh and Mr Moo like this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#48 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7107 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 17 March 2015 - 14:23

Kotaku wrote a piece, where the author notes that the episodes feels like a second beginning, one centred on Kian and Arcadia. He likes Enu and Anna, but thinks the gameplay feels a little like busy work. The author doesn't seem to be a big fan of puzzles, he thinks the puzzles are too hard and that there are too few hints and that they sometimes conflict with the story. He notes that he likes the C&C system almost despite himself, and he's greatly invested in the story. 

http://kotaku.com/dr...dium=Socialflow

Dutch Cowboys also wrote something

http://www.dutchcowb...s-komt-op-stoom

• Vainamoinen likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#49 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 14:48

From Kotaku:

Yet, the game contains two puzzles where Kian must restart if seen by guards. These guards have no trouble seeing Kian and no explanation of this is ever given.

Somehow, the description of that potion seems more elusive to some than the potion makes its imbiber. And it really is so easy. This is not "invisibility" as in "invisibility". Act natural, people have trouble concentrating on you. Act conspicuous, it doesn't help. A bit like Douglas Adams' S.E.P. field. Stepping into an area where you're simply not supposed to be constitutes "drawing attention to yourself", is that so difficult to grasp? ;)

#50 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 14:54

From Kotaku:

Somehow, the description of that potion seems more elusive to some than the potion makes its imbiber. And it really is so easy. This is not "invisibility" as in "invisibility". Act natural, people have trouble concentrating on you. Act conspicuous, it doesn't help. A bit like Douglas Adams' S.E.P. field. Is that so difficult to grasp? ;)

Well, the majority of people today just need everything explain to them in detail...

because you know...

I'm stupid huggggggg :mellow:

• Mr Moo likes this

#51 ElDoRado1239

ElDoRado1239

Fringe Café Regular

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Location203km from Přístaviště

Posted 17 March 2015 - 15:19

Well, I don't know, but... is it really so hard to review an episode of an episodic game?

I wouldn't be so afraid to do that. Of course, you have to play Book One to enjoy the story - but who reads books from the middle anyway? And this is more like a visual novel than a traditional adventure game. You could review a book chapter by chapter, couldn't you? Just concentrate on what's in this particular Book, don't complain you don't know the whole story and you should be all set.

After all, TV series get reviews of single episodes all the time, don't they? I love to read Adventure Time reviews, for example, just to find out what others think about that one episode. Who would read a review of a single episode if they didn't follow the show/game from the start anyway...?

So, wake up, Miss Castillo. Wake up and... *smell the ashes*...

#52 Tarquinius

Tarquinius

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • LocationBruges, Belgium

Posted 17 March 2015 - 15:52

Dutch Cowboys also wrote something

http://www.dutchcowb...s-komt-op-stoom

To elaborate, the reviewer is very positive. He notes the darker turn this book takes, which he sees in both the main character's ordeals as in the two worlds they inhabit. The choices you get to make give you no way out this time, he says, and make for results that can be practical but immoral. The author particularly loves Enu, whom he feels steals the show, and The Mole, who according to him has the best, and most emotional, background. Mainly, some technical errors aside, the author commends the episode for its complex story, the well-written characters and the improved puzzles. Two more (translated) quotes I quite liked:

"Red Thread Games knows that it's superb at creating stories" and "Dreamfall Chapters is not so much a game as it is a love affair". And no worries, Ragnar, this reviewer can wait five months if that's the quality he's going to get! ;)

• khh likes this

#53 The Luggage

The Luggage

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 17 March 2015 - 16:08

My countyman beat me to it (and can maybe check for mistakes i might have made), but here is my free translation of the second part of the Dutch cowboys review:

No wonder that the Dreamfall fans can wait so patiently for their game. They are richly rewarded with a complex plot, carefully and subtly written characters and an entertaining universe. Red Thread Games knows that it’s very good at telling stories.

Nevertheless the gameplay is visibly improved. There are much more puzzles in the second book and they crack your brain sometimes. Most choices are less woolly than in the last part, which makes choosing easier. There’s also less wandering around aimlessly.

There are still some problems. You still get lost (now and then). Technically Dreamfall has a number of bugs (which are currently being handled), NPC’s who walk away in the middle of a conversation and the now very dated invisible walls.

But you forget those things immediately after every conversation with a character. The Mole tops everyone (despite her length). Her story (which we won’t spoil) blew me away completely due to her choice of words, rhythm and tragic history.

In the end the story is the reason why people keep following this game. Dreamfall Chapters is not as much a game as it is a love relationship. That’s why the fans (and me) are calmly waiting for the next part. And that can take five months if the quality remains as high.

• khh and Tarquinius like this

#54 OptoNick

OptoNick

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 17 March 2015 - 18:05

Good review on Book Two, without any numerical scores: http://www.dealspwn....s-review-199600. Author is familiar with the series, positive to puzzles, and give a special shoutout to Enu :D Both mentioned cons will be patched soon.

Pros:

Yet more excellent storytelling.

The moral choices are even more agonising than before.

The return to Marcuria should please fans of the series.

Cons:

Cosmetic issues with animations and audio levels throughout.

Constant reminders of previous choices hampers immersion levels.

The Short Version:

Despite some technical gremlins causing cosmetic issues throughout the game at launch, Book Two: Rebels successfully builds upon Book One’s excellent start. More agonising moral choices lie in wait on the streets and Propast and Marcuria as Red Thread Games deliver another well-written and entertaining instalment of Dreamfall Chapters.

• khh and Mr Moo like this

#55 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 23:22

Interesting, but somehow weird Book 2 review from pixeldynamo.com. Written by an obvious fan of the series with a proclaimed forgiving attitude, Justin Mahboubian-Jones still only arrives at 6 out of 10. Zoë's continued amnesia doesn't sit well with Jones, as well as the errands in Propast and Marcuria ("taking in the metropolis is an experience of one-time enjoyment"). Framerate drops were experienced. As to the puzzles, Jones asks for either improvement or removal, essentially not caring which one it should rather be. The story's "Tørnquist moments", Jones assesses, are just too far and few between. The "Longevity" rating of only just 5 out of 10 strikes me as a strange decision.

http://www.pixeldyna...pters-book-two/

#56 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 21 March 2015 - 00:55

Hmm, I went and read that review.

First of all I'll say that it's an obvious case of "expectationitis specificus", he's obviously ruminated on the series plot all those 8 years and apparently he has developed a very specific "list" of things that must happen (and/or explained), thus any new plots and/or characters that are now introduced are only standing in the way of that list, they are not judged on their individual merit. I'll get back to that though, because there is some point in his words there.

On the other hand, I mentally facepalmed over his middle paragraph ("THE TERRIBLE TWOS") where he describes his aversion to "allegories" (aka, practically every story out there) and "false dichotomies", tries to apply all that to Dreamfall: Chapters (with little success, especially since he seems to imply that The Longest Journey had none of the short), and calls "crimes against scripthood" any swearing or sexual language (Fiona would surely love to have a word with him on the subject, but she's probably too busy tying Mickey in the basement. ;) While Burns Flipper is laughing his non-existant ass off seeing the "amateurs" who think they can surpass him in the art of swearing and generally being rude and offensive.)

I won't bother with the part about the puzzles.

He ends the review with a very fanboy-ish rant, where he demands the conclusion of every mystery (and April's return of course!) as if it's just a grocery list and not a complex, emotional story that can't just be made justice with a neat, "cold", huge info-dump. I do recognize that the major points he mentions need to be addressed in the remaining Books and I'll admit that it is the first time in the series that we're 40%+ in the story (and even more if we count Dreamfall as a "part one" instead of solo) and the core plot (plan & motivation & identity of the "adversaries", plus what the "heroes" have to do to stop them) is so obscure and vague, but that is not something you can condemn an episodic story for (yet, you can after Book 5 is out). One of my favorite TV series (which has one season - 12 Episodes) only addresses the core plot point in the 10th Episode and is much better for it (because there are various incredible sub-arcs going on in the previous 9 episodes).

I definitely agree with his penultimate sentence though (which is self-contradictory with his "grocery list", btw) : "do me a favour and whisk me away to the faraway streets of Sadir, bring me to cities in the ocean occupied by omnisexual lizards, show me demented wizards in space, your universe is capable of this and so much more."  I truly hope that RTG can balance the enormous task of tying up the lose plot threads of the Dreamer conspiracy with introducing new "magical places" (both in Stark and Arcadia) and all of that on the very tight budget that they have to work with. I have unwavering Faith in RTG's intentions and abilities to do that, but I'll admit that I have some small doubts/worries due to the unfortunate limitations they must work around.

[and to bring an example -and little light criticism- here: the concept art and character descriptions of both Hanna Roth and the Mole (also Mira, but we're not done with her yet) hinted of much, much more than RTG were able to depict in Book 2. Both were supposed to be "leaders" of their respective "underground", the Mole even wielding significant power and influence, but in both cases we saw no evidence of that, no "followers" worth speaking of, no physical interconnected underground networks bustling with activity (just single, easily-accessible "rooms"), etc. (Mira was also described as having "founded a thriving criminal empire" but for the moment she appears only as a surviving-by-the-day small shop owner with just great hacking skills). Yes, this makes me a victim of "expectationitis" too, but with these descriptions being so relatively recent I can't help but wonder what's going on. And I think I know the answer: bugdet, which is what worries me. TLJ (especially) but also Dreamfall never failed to deliver the "epic" alongside the "personal", the feeling of an entire world out there* alongside the incredible characters and personalities. Chapters has done the epicness in a lesser degree thus far (mostly our first encounter with Europolis), and theoretically there's still more than enough time left for it, but the (less asset-intensive?) character drama definitely seems to threaten to overshadow the grandness of the setting, disrupting the delicate Balance that elevates the series (in my mind) from far less interesting (for me) stories, like the ones by Telltale.

*examples: all of April's adventures outside Marcuria (Klack's Tower, the very varied adventures on the Islands) and her trip to the Space Station in Stark, Zoe's visit to Wati HQ, the Dark People's Library, (EDIT: also The Underground City), and the Rebel Swamp (also Casablanca, because it was so different than "usual" Stark, so fresh). ]

• Tina, Vainamoinen, khh and 7 others like this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#57 merryawe

merryawe

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:25

Both were supposed to be "leaders" of their respective "underground", the Mole even wielding significant power and influence, but in both cases we saw no evidence of that, no "followers" worth speaking of, no physical interconnected underground networks bustling with activity (just single, easily-accessible "rooms"), etc. 

I think both Kian and Zoe are too much of an outsider (maybe for now, maybe forever) to Hanna/Mole to be let to see the places where all the "action and power stuff" is happening.

I don't agree we get no evidence - what about guard at the door and frightened wine seller? That's some kind of a hint of the Mole's influence.

As for Hanna - I'd say it's the way Nela and Queenie speak about her + her access to a "special" pink sewer entrance. Implies that there are some privileges.

And yeah, I see it might be a budget thing but overall I think "well played, RTG, well played".

#58 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:16

See? I thought it was an interesting one. ;)

#59 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:22

@merryawe: You're right, I should have said "little evidence" instead of "no evidence". But the fact remains that I personally wasn't convinced by it, and I think the reason why is again the Mole's amazing concept art, that shows her lying on chests full of treasure, wearing expensive jewelry, framed by superfluous curtains (indicating vanity), while two huge tunnels (and not just one small hole), full of people coming or going, are seen in the background. The freaking concept art was so darn promising it raised my expectations too high and this is the safest route to disappointment (there have been very few exceptions where -to my delight- my high expectations proved to be not high enough, Book 1 of Dreamfall: Chapters was actually one such case! But Book 2 wasn't).
  • merryawe likes this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#60 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6154 posts

Posted 21 March 2015 - 10:39

full of people coming or going,

Full of MOLES coming or going. :(

Maybe that's why the art book, the entity that tells us of the vision for Chapters, communicates stronger than the final game. The number of assets required to make the concept art a reality is staggering. Impossible to do on this budget, in such a huge environment. Maybe if in a future game, RTG would focus on significantly smaller 3D settings with more detail, that could cushion the disappointment from artwork to in game asset. There is, of course, almost always such a disappointment, in all the games, particularly AAA...

As to more reviews, I just HAVE to translate a quote for you from youtuber Schubladentrollin, uttered during her Let's Play while the Book 2 credits rolled: 

I don’t know what to think about this game. I love it, I just love it. It’s, like, a sick, submissive, masochistic love. But I think there’s no other way to bear that.

:ehehe:
  • Edreamer Jamil, khh and merryawe like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dreamfall chapters, review, reviews, impressions, first look

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users