#21 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1836 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 25 October 2014 - 22:54

Even on modern PCs, the framerate is as unsteady as a boat full of drunken pirates in a tropical storm

I gotta remember that one.

• Edreamer Jamil, WorldsReunited, merryawe and 2 others like this

#22 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6149 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 23:05

metro.co.uk has their review up. A 6 out of 10 slap. Their stance is clear and the two central points of critique hold up throughout many reviews. New players feel lost in the story and, of course, "[...] the game starts to introduce some proper old school adventure style puzzles, but they’re horribly illogical and the sort of thing LucasArts would have discarded on a first draft. For better or worse though they’re the only such examples in this chapter and if they weren’t so obtuse we’d be saying there weren’t enough of them." Besides the second long choice parts, they do acknowledge "the illogical puzzles are the only real interaction".

http://metro.co.uk/2...reborn-4928403/

Rather popular German site 4players.de calls Chapters "a technical desaster". 59% is their result, taking "weak puzzle design" into account. Commenters are criticizing that the reviewer has played Chapters as his first game in the TLJ series. Final verdict: "there's a lot of potential in the fascinating world and the believable characters, yet simplisticly designed puzzles and numerous technical mistakes make for a cumbersome kick-off".

http://www.4players....l_Chapters.html

Adventurecorner.de (one of the 'big two' adventure game sites in Germany maintained by pure hobbyists) doesn't yet render a percentage value. The reviewer doesn't yet see a clear "line of gameplay": "The hoped for puzzles – promised during the Kickstarter campaign – are hardly noticeable at present. The few situations that demand your brain are on a disputable level [...] Surprisingly seldom does an item find its way into the inventory and when that happens, it's usually only one". Verdict: "The gameplay wasn't particularly refreshing [meaning: "exciting"], in some cases it was even tenacious. I hope for improvement especially for the puzzles [...] I would only utter a recommendation because I trust in the skills of Ragnar Tørnquist and his team".

http://www.adventure...amfall-chapters

• khh likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#23 Jecica

Jecica

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1497 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted 01 November 2014 - 23:35

GameSpot gave it 7. 

The Good

Beautiful, multicultural setting sets the stage for future mysteries

Excellent writing lets you make choices while keeping characterizations consistent

Emotional opening hints at moving events to come

The Bad

Episode has no real story arc of its own

Overly glitchy

• khh and Em_TC like this

"We have seen it all, yes, and we remember. We remember because we pass the stories on, from Harbinger of the Balance to A Rubber Ducky, throughout the centuries. Do you want to hear one of our stories?
Ask us, ask. Ask about
the Pizza, the Thief and the Time..."

#24 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

Posted 01 November 2014 - 23:43

Surprisingly seldom does an item find its way into the inventory and when that happens, it's usually only one

This is the only point in any of that I agree with. The inventory in dreamfall was poor. You hardly ever used it. And if you could pick something up, you had to use it right away. That doesnt seem to have changed much in DFC (so far). You cant pick up anything, not even in Zoes apartment. But it is early days yet. 4 more books to go.
  • WorldsReunited, Em_TC and TheSlayer like this

#25 OldDarth

OldDarth

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:47

My review over at Canadian Online Gamers - Welcome Back Longest Journey Fans

• popcorngal and khh like this

The dream never dies.

#26 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2724 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 November 2014 - 09:42

GameSpot gave it 7. 

The Bad

Episode has no real story arc of its own

No story? Huh? Zoe awakes from coma and starts her new life. But will she escape her mission? Kian escapes from Friar's Keep and became a very important person for Rebels. April...we will see. There is impact for story from ending of Dreamfall!

• Edreamer Jamil and CosmicD like this

#27 BenBandu

BenBandu

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:27

^they didn't say it didn't have a story, they said it has no story arc (A Beginning, Middle and End). What the first book has is a beginning, but it has little else. And when they call it an Episode or a Book I think people expect it to have it's own story, like each Harry Potter book has it's own story in a grander story.

I'm fairly certain book 1 - 2 has a complete arc, and that 3 - 5 also is one, as I seem to remember reading they were talking about splitting the game in two, before deciding on episodic.

• Em_TC likes this

#28 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2724 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:42

^they didn't say it didn't have a story, they said it has no story arc (A Beginning, Middle and End). What the first book has is a beginning, but it has little else. And when they call it an Episode or a Book I think people expect it to have it's own story, like each Harry Potter book has it's own story in a grander story.

I'm fairly certain book 1 - 2 has a complete arc, and that 3 - 5 also is one, as I seem to remember reading they were talking about splitting the game in two, before deciding on episodic.

I think that story arc is Reborn. 

Beginning - April's funeral, birth of Saga, Zoe's task in Storytime and Kian escapes Friar's Keep

Middle - Zoe's new life in Europolis,

End - Saga and Ghost in House Of All Worlds

I hope so that Zoe's new life and Kian with Rebels will be continue in Book Two.

#29 BenBandu

BenBandu

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:44

but that's not a story arc, you're just splitting up the game in 3 parts. However, I guess you could say that Zoe's arc was in Dreamtime as she has an apparent conflict that she must face and manages to overcome at the end of that section. The same apply same with Kian as well, and Saga to a lesser extent. But they set up a new arc with Zoe in Europolis that only serves as a beginning, probably to tease what's coming. As a result the episode doesn't feel like it is its own story. If they had left out the Europolis part I think it would have felt more complete, but it's 100% understandable that they didn't because that would leave a fairly short episode with little to no room for exploration and characters which is key to an adventure game  :P

• Em_TC likes this

#30 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 06 November 2014 - 00:14

RTG retweeted a new review just now from hardcore gamer. I suppose there's no need for a spoiler warnings anymore, but this review falls in the trap of spending the first half retelling the story rather than reviewing the game.

Hardcoregamer - Review: Dreamfall Chapters Book One: Reborn

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#31 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1563 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 06 November 2014 - 00:17

I don't think we'll get the full story arc until Book 2 is out.

#32 Edreamer Jamil

Edreamer Jamil

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1624 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 06 November 2014 - 00:41

I'm really glad each episode isn't telling a complete story 'arc'. Best things come to those who wait imo
  • Eveolene, Ghost and PiotrekS like this

#33 Koveras

Koveras

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 November 2014 - 08:39

Best reviews of Book One I've seen are the ones that started off by refusing to give a numerical score to 1/5 of a game (which can't be purchased separately from the other 4/5, to boot). :)

#34 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6149 posts

Posted 06 November 2014 - 12:21

That is the 'correct' thing to do, but reader expectation and reading habits don't really match episodic gaming. And for a reason - after all, every episode supposedly delivers something 'meaty' (Ragnar), something whole, something enjoyable. Also, it is of course true that most attention is given to people who get their review in early. That doesn't only apply to journalist professionals... at the time, it's e.g. pretty senseless to write up another GOG review for Chapters. It wouldn't get anywhere at all.

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#35 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 November 2014 - 01:24

Poligon posted a pretty positive article, giving the game 8/10
Poligon - Dreamfall Chapters - Book 1: Reborn review: Dreams to come

April Ryan is my friend,

#36 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 05:51

I spotted a review from some random site/blog type thing and a few other sites have never heard of (Sunday and all, I was bored)
First one not the best written review I have ever seen, but I think the dude actually gets what it is he(she?) is reviewing, and its on the positive side.

For what its worth:
http://www.cheatmast.../#ixzz3Ibat6DDj 7/10

oh and while im posting random crap review sites lol:
http://www.cubedgame...-the-storytime/ 8.6(/10?) <- good score I guess

http://battlescreen....pters-book-one/ (7/10)

http://www.gamereact...ok One: Reborn/ 6(/10?)

http://gaming.thedig...one-reborn.html ...another 7

http://www.ztgd.com/...pisodic-review/ no score

Despite my clearly searching the dregs of the internet for reviews I haven't found any bad ones. Which is nice. Seems like everyone is hopeful the following books will build well on a fairly solid start.

• khh likes this

#37 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 November 2014 - 10:40

Ragnar retweeted a reviews today

Aftonbladet - Väl värt åtta år av väntan

Just from the title ('Well worth the eight years of waiting') you can tell the reviewer is a fan of the series and enjoyed the game.

April Ryan is my friend,

#38 WorldsReunited

WorldsReunited

Vestrum Crier

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:00

I am still confused how some reviewers can review only 1 episode of an EPISODIC game, but I am glad to see there are no really negative reviews. I also have a feeling that the reviews for book 2 will be even better.  ;)

#39 CoFFian

CoFFian

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationChelyabinsk, Russia

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:31

IgroMania - ИгроМания (russian gaming magazine) - http://www.igromania..._One_Reborn.htm

Also their video review: Dreamfall Chapters: Book One. Wonderful - http://www.youtube.c...h?v=kV_JUoJcOlQ

Main rating:

Gameplay - 9/10

Graphics - 8/10

Interface - 8/10

Sounds and music - 10/10

Special achievement:

"This cannot be true! Still waiting for April's return."

Special rating:

Nostalgia - 10/10

• khh likes this

Sorry for my bad english...

#40 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1836 posts

Posted 10 November 2014 - 16:24

I am still confused how some reviewers can review only 1 episode of an EPISODIC game

I think thats why we have so many 6 and 7 ratings. No one can give a first chapter a 10, and no one can really be too negative. tbh its pointless to give a rating.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dreamfall chapters, review, reviews, impressions, first look

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users