• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:31

I get the journal flashing icon whenever I'm exploring or discovering new things, so that suggests that I'm getting new entires. When I hit 'J', I get the same 12 journal entries from before, and no updates.

Bug?

I actually had this happen, too. I mentioned it in the bug thread. I would have the journal icon pop up with no new info in the journal and it would stay there until I entered a cut scene...and then would go away after...until I got a new entry and it would freeze on there again. If you're experiencing something similar, then it's a bug. If it is like I described, you can consider mentioning it in the Bug thread.

Hi

I'm the French translator of the game. :)

If you're playing the game in French, it is normal that Zoë's journal is not available yet.

It will be included in the upcoming patch 1.1, along with many other fixes and improvement to the French translation.

Sorry for the inconvenience. :blush:

Excellent, thanks for the update!

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#22 Yune

Yune

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:18

Hi

If you're playing the game in French, it is normal that Zoë's journal is not available yet.

It will be included in the upcoming patch 1.1, along with many other fixes and improvement to the French translation.

I'm a bit off topic, but I jump on this post to say thank you for your work. I've personally found that the translation is of high quality and this game really deserves it. And thank you also to keep improving it :) .

• WoM likes this

#23 WoM

WoM

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationParis, France

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:54

Thanks a lot, nothing could make us happier!

We've been huge fans of the series since the release of TLJ and it is a dream come true for us to work on this game.

We supported the game right from the start of the KS campaign and will keep on polishing our work as long as we can (hopefully including French voice recordings when all books are published). :)

And it's really cool to be able to meet more French fans of the series!

• WorldsReunited and agirlnamedbob like this

#24 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 11:39

Yes! That it does. Don't remember exactly when, but when it became active, a little symbol popped up (along with the "click J to access the journal") and I could access 12 entries and read back a bit on what had happened before that point of time.

May have been here:

Spoiler

Thats exactly where you should be able to read the journal... Also, it is working only in english for now...

And oups, someone already said that...

Edited by ct2651, 29 October 2014 - 11:52.

#25 amfomy

amfomy

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:56

Well I've been past the point in the game where the journal becomes available to the player - that was made more explicit when the hotkey 'J' was instructed on screen.

Just last night, I reached a point in the game where I received a new journal entry.

It was where

Spoiler
At that point, entry '13' appeared. However, my concern is that before that point in the game, the journal page icon kept flashing after a revealing point in conversation occurred, but no new entries were entered.

If others received their next entry at the same time I did in the game, then I guess the flashing icon is a bug. If not, then, well the whole thing seems to be somewhat a bug.

BTW I'm playing the game in English, and thanks for working out any potential bugs!

#26 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:01

However, my concern is that before that point in the game, the journal page icon kept flashing after a revealing point in conversation occurred, but no new entries were entered.

If others received their next entry at the same time I did in the game, then I guess the flashing icon is a bug. If not, then, well the whole thing seems to be somewhat a bug.

I haven't played long enough to see that second point, but can you confirm that the flashing icon was not at any of the points where you get a "goal" to complete? For instance 

Spoiler

#27 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 30 October 2014 - 15:01

Just to shed some light on this, I can say that when Zöe's Journal is updated the icon flashes, but it doesn't always mean that a new page in the Journal has been added.

Sometimes Zöe has just added an extra entry to the last/most recent page of her Journal. ;)

• agirlnamedbob likes this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#28 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 30 October 2014 - 15:06

Ah. That makes sense, in a weird way. But perhaps the UI could be changed to better reflect this? Although a "Read" indicator would look a bit strange, after all, she wrote it herself, she knows what's there...

#29 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 30 October 2014 - 15:20

Yeah, the Journal has been a somewhat debated topic during development in terms of how it should be populated and presented to the player.

However, it haven't gotten the most priority as it's not the biggest and most important part of the game. So maybe we'll update it's functionality and presentation in the future. ;)

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#30 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 30 October 2014 - 15:21

Ah, yes that's true. I didn't think about it when I read, because I noticed she'd added more (sometimes just a small paragraph).
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#31 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 30 October 2014 - 15:22

Perhaps just font color for the most recent entry? There could even be a "Commit" button the player could press to "save" the entry as it is, and thus mark things as read.

Nah, I'll let you develop it in peace. :P

• Morten likes this

#32 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 October 2014 - 15:22

I figured out that Zoe was updating the same journal entry as she went. ...Didn't change the fact that occasionally the stupid journal thing would get stuck on my screen and WOULD NOT GO AWAY though. ;) 

But yeah, the updating the same journal thing is a point to bring up that I hadn't thought of. I'll remember to mention that to people going forward.

#33 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 30 October 2014 - 15:28

Perhaps just font color for the most recent entry? There could even be a "Commit" button the player could press to "save" the entry as it is, and thus mark things as read.

Nah, I'll let you develop it in peace.  :P

Hehe :P

Suggestions are always welcome. It's always good to know what the player wants versus what we, as developers, think they would want.

I figured out that Zoe was updating the same journal entry as she went. ...Didn't change the fact that occasionally the stupid journal thing would get stuck on my screen and WOULD NOT GO AWAY though. ;)

Yeah, it's a bit annoying. When the Journal icon is continually blinking, it should actually be the Goal-icon blinking. It's just that you've gotten into a cinematic just as it was supposed to switch, so it's actually in a state where it is doing everything correctly EXCEPT showing the correct icon. :P

It should revert correctly back to the Goal-icon after exiting the cinematic/conversation, though. It's annoying, and it's one of the minor things I find really annoying (because I was the one that made that "Notification"-system). 

• Tina, agirlnamedbob, Em_TC and 1 other like this

#34 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 30 October 2014 - 15:31

I noticed that from the beginning (no new page, but stuff added at the end of the last page) so I thought it was so obvious that I didn't realize people would be confused by not seeing a new page and would assume a notification glitch.
  • Morten and khh like this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#35 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 30 October 2014 - 15:34

Ahhh...okay. That explanation makes sense. Good to know.

I'm honestly (mostly) teasing. It only bothered me because I kept forgetting it was stuck there... then I'd notice it again and be like "Yay, Journal!" only to check it and be like "DAMMIT." I seriously did that like 5 times in the span of as many minutes. Because I apparently don't learn/have an awful memory/am super conditioned to hit the button whenever I see the little icon. 

I think I was just unlucky because it seemed to happen to me a few times, but on the list of "bugs" it's super minor. I mean, a fix would be great, but I'm waaaaay more worried about everyone being able to stably play the game from start to finish than I am about a tiny devil notification trying to drive me insane. :P

• Morten, Tina, toremygg and 1 other like this

#36 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 30 October 2014 - 19:41

Ah, yes that's true. I didn't think about it when I read, because I noticed she'd added more (sometimes just a small paragraph).

Yeah, same here. Didn't April's diary in TLJ also work this way?

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#37 amfomy

amfomy

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:20

Ah, I'm back. And yes, you're all right - the flashing icon I see is the goals notification.

Also, I would have expected a new page number to signify a new entry - had no idea that the existing entries were modified ON THE GO!

Thanks for shedding light on this Morten. But alas, it has stumped me and some others, also.

I also think the icons should change. Perhaps an animated pencil scribbling on paper would signify an extended piece on an existing entry, and the book icon for, well, a new page.

And I think the different font colours would work.

Lastly, the goal icon looks suspiciously like a notepad. Yes, I get it's a 'to do' list, but perhaps a simple 'tick' or exclamation mark would suit better?

Probably not on the top of your priorities for the next patch, but having less confusion adds to a better immersive experience. At the very least the information on how it works has saved me from having to load up older saves...

Thanks, 'yall.

• Morten and toremygg like this

#38 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 31 October 2014 - 13:41

Thanks for the feedback!

I also think the icons should change. Perhaps an animated pencil scribbling on paper would signify an extended piece on an existing entry, and the book icon for, well, a new page.

And I think the different font colours would work.

Lastly, the goal icon looks suspiciously like a notepad. Yes, I get it's a 'to do' list, but perhaps a simple 'tick' or exclamation mark would suit better?

Some really good suggestions, in my opinion!

We will definitely keep this in mind for future updates/books. :)

#39 Nanoloque

Nanoloque

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:34

Hi

First of all, thank you for your translation of the game, and for the other works of Words of Magic. And thank you for the info.

I would like to report the blank screen too when you click on Credits since the title screen. I suspect it is also because of the translation since I can read the credits when I set the language of the texts in English. But I suppose you have already noticed. :)

#40 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2138 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 04:30

It all work fine in french post patch...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users