• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:30

Actually I'd rather have a virus than a computer that keeps bothering me and being stupid. But maybe that's just me.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#42 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:37

Actually I'd rather have a virus than a computer that keeps bothering me and being stupid. But maybe that's just me.

Don't pirate games, and 99.9% of the time, your fine.

• khh likes this

#43 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:21

It's still garbage for actual protection

That was my opinion too about Security Essentials. But I only tried it for a year or so, when it first came out (a few years ago), and I took it out when it failed to detect a rather nasty virus*. It was lightweight enough, I'll give it that, but I think even Microsoft at that point was suggesting to get a more professional solution (or so I think I had read).

*. After that I got the free edition of AVG, which turned out to be quite heavy for my system, and at some point an update of theirs flagged multiple exe files as potentially dangerous and quarantined them (they admitted their mistake and fixed it within a day or two; I believe this must have happened to other free antivirus, as well). Now I 'm settled with avast.

Anyway, @Tina, I think the title is now better. The RTG team should be aware of the issue's cause and maybe come up with a solution if it's a problem with other antivirus software as well (khh said F-Secure does this as well).

• Tracido likes this

#44 irkaiel

irkaiel

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:53

Maybe I should add "+ aggressive antivirus" or something to that effect in the topic title? Or "(solved: turn off antivirus)" or something? If that is what solved the issue.

I'm open for suggestions, but I think it's nice if more people can catch that potential issue :)

I suggest simply adding "(caused by bitdefender antivirus)" in the title and just leaving it alone. People might search for this error again, and be directed to this thread.

I've not read everything but I'm not sure of the direct relationship, after all, desabling bitdefender to try updating the game on the first drive didn't work and it I didn't touch it when I installed the game on the 3rd drive...

I don't recognize myself in the title.

but then I'm not an expert...

#45 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:03

Hmm okay. If we're not sure if the AV caused this, then there are other threads that rather should have "antivirus" in the title.

I'll remove it again, then :)
  • khh and Tracido like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#46 Tracido

Tracido

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:30

Hmm okay. If we're not sure if the AV caused this, then there are other threads that rather should have "antivirus" in the title.

I'll remove it again, then :)

Thing is, I use bitdefender myself, and right now even I'm using total security & I use many other security softwares and hardware, so it is definitely an odd thing.  Never had a single issue with Dreamfall other than the DRM on those disks (the old Dreamfall not Chapters), but when steam has updated new games in the past it and many other AV's can false positive, especially if DRM is added suddenly or on it to begin with.  Steam also locks me out of installs on fully fresh drives at times, when I'm DRM free that crap doesn't seem to happen, just saying...

#47 Manpans

Manpans

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 15:37

As someone who has also gotten this message, and has yet to solve it, would anyone have any suggestions? I’ve tried verifying the game files, I've tried running as administrator and currently my computer is running a disk check because Steam only suggested that clearly my harddrive was failing (even though all of my other games worked). I have the free Rogers Protection and can’t seem to navigate how to look for files that might have been deleted, but is it possible to get them back? I don’t have another drive to install the game on (my external is with a friend at the moment).

I’m not particularly computer savvy, so any suggestions are welcome! It's particularly frustrating because I could play the game just fine for about two days.

#48 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 October 2014 - 15:38

As someone who has also gotten this message, and has yet to solve it, would anyone have any suggestions? I’ve tried verifying the game files, I've tried running as administrator and currently my computer is running a disk check because Steam only suggested that clearly my harddrive was failing (even though all of my other games worked). I have the free Rogers Protection and can’t seem to navigate how to look for files that might have been deleted, but is it possible to get them back? I don’t have another drive to install the game on (my external is with a friend at the moment).

I’m not particularly computer savvy, so any suggestions are welcome!

If you're not married to the idea of using the steam version, indications are that the Humble version of the game doesn't have this problem.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users