#22 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 21:07

Antivirus is the first thing I check whenever things go wrong, as it very often is the culprit. I have tried most brands by now, and hate each and every one of them. At home I use Microsoft Security Essentials, which is extremely silent, and hardly ever detects a thing. Very pleasant. :lol:

• khh likes this

#23 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 23 October 2014 - 21:09

At home I use Microsoft Security Essentials, which is extremely silent, and hardly ever detects a thing. Very pleasant. :lol:

Outside of work, thats my AV of choice. And no issues so far with DFC.

#24 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 21:11

It's identified as "Trojan/generic".

'A file or program that appears to have trojan-like features or behavior' I would love to hear how that could possibly apply to the to DFC exe.

• khh likes this

#25 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 21:27

'A file or program that appears to have trojan-like features or behavior' I would love to hear how that could possibly apply to the to DFC exe.

Hard to say exactly what makes some AV trigger, it could basically be anything. One build of a program at work, was detected as a suspected Trojan/generic, but a minutely changed rebuild suddenly wasn't a suspected Trojan/generic anymore. AV is just ... :urgh:

#26 irkaiel

irkaiel

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 23 October 2014 - 21:30

hey, it worked when I installed the game on a 3rd drive. I'm not trying to deinstall and reinstall this time ;-)

May be the issue will be back tomorow...

I don't know if it's the AV (I have bitdefender too btw so may be not a coincidence), I guess like someone said RT changed the .exe file, AV or Steam didn't like it, "corrupted" the drive, but then I don't understand why my 2nd drive was out after I deleted the 50 or so mb and tried to reinstall in the same directory...

• Lee-m likes this

#27 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 21:34

Hard to say exactly what makes some AV trigger, it could basically be anything. One build of a program at work, was detected as a suspected Trojan/generic, but a minutely changed rebuild suddenly wasn't a suspected Trojan/generic anymore. AV is just ... :urgh:

'trojan-like features or behavior' is very specific. Not some random exe it doesnt know. As far as I have seen, the DFC exe is not replicating its self inside other programs.

Shit AV is the issue.

#28 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 21:36

hey, it worked when I installed the game on a 3rd drive. I'm not trying to deinstall and reinstall this time ;-)

May be the issue will be back tomorow...

I don't know if it's the AV (I have bitdefender too btw so may be not a coincidence), I guess like someone said RT changed the .exe file, AV or Steam didn't like it, "corrupted" the drive, but then I don't understand why my 2nd drive was out after I deleted the 50 or so mb and tried to reinstall in the same directory...

You don't have to download the entire game, you can just right click on the game in Steam, go to the "Local files" tab and select "Verify integrity of game cache".

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#29 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 21:40

'trojan-like features or behavior' is very specific. Not some random exe it doesnt know. As far as I have seen, the DFC exe is not replicating its self inside other programs.

Shit AV is the issue.

As you can imagine, the detection is less than stellar. :P  My app didn't in any way replicate either.

• Lee-m likes this

#30 irkaiel

irkaiel

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 23 October 2014 - 21:42

You don't have to download the entire game, you can just right click on the game in Steam, go to the "Local files" tab and select "Verify integrity of game cache".

trust me I tried many things... I first tried to update the game, check the integrity, once, twice, disabling bitdefender, run as administrator, restarting, etc, then deleted the local files, still stuck. It acted like someone very stubborn.

Then second drive, hooray it worked , but will it work if I skrew the thing a little ? No, so, 3rd drive, the charm, and I've got no complain from steam or bitdefender ;-)

• khh and Mr Moo like this

#31 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 21:49

trust me I tried many things... I first tried to update the game, check the integrity, once, twice, disabling bitdefender, run as administrator, restarting, etc, then deleted the local files, still stuck. It acted like someone very stubborn.

Then second drive, hooray it worked , but will it work if I skrew the thing a little ? No, so, 3rd drive, the charm, and I've got no complain from steam or bitdefender ;-)

Weird! Could be that the full exe doesn't trigger AV, but the partial download does? Anyway, have fun playing! :D

#32 shadowdogg

shadowdogg

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 22:06

What I had to do for any bitdefender (who by the way are often rated among the best...)

watching the events to see what folders it likes to put the download the the dreamfall chapters in and put it in the whitelist as a directory. I had to put it in both for it to work, it also didn't like it initially until I rebooted my machine.

May help someone else.

See you in dream time folks.

#33 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2878 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 22:14

Maybe I should add "+ aggressive antivirus" or something to that effect in the topic title? Or "(solved: turn off antivirus)" or something? If that is what solved the issue.

I'm open for suggestions, but I think it's nice if more people can catch that potential issue :)

Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#34 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 22:47

I suggest simply adding "(caused by bitdefender antivirus)" in the title and just leaving it alone. People might search for this error again, and be directed to this thread.

• Tina, Lee-m and ShadowNate like this

April Ryan is my friend,

#35 shadowdogg

shadowdogg

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 23:12

The problem is you wouldn't even think it was anti-virus related as it WAS fine until today. Leaving it precisely to the keywords of

disc write error and executable not found is better

#36 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 23:17

Don't waste money kids on crap AV. by the balance, and the stars, microsoft security essentials.

• khh likes this

#37 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 23:19

Don't waste money kids on crap AV. by the balance, and the stars, microsoft security essentials.

I use f-secure cause I get it for free through my university. When I update to the next Windows version, I plan on just using the default microsoft one.

April Ryan is my friend,

#38 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 23:22

I use f-secure cause I get it for free through my university. When I update to the next Windows version, I plan on just using the default microsoft one.

There are too many poor AV solutions now for the desktop user, microsoft security essentials is great and free. They have the cash to spend on it. I think it comes free with win 8+

On the windows platform, dont over complicate things and make it hard on your self.

• khh likes this

#39 Tracido

Tracido

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:18

There are too many poor AV solutions now for the desktop user, microsoft security essentials is great and free. They have the cash to spend on it. I think it comes free with win 8+

On the windows platform, dont over complicate things and make it hard on your self.

It's still garbage for actual protection.  Combined with Malwarebytes, it is passable at best for actual protection.  I'd never use free security on a business or personal PC, only some cheap throwaway lappy maybe. ;P

• ShadowNate likes this

#40 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:26

It's still garbage for actual protection.  Combined with Malwarebytes, it is passable at best for actual protection.  I'd never use free security on a business or personal PC, only some cheap throwaway lappy maybe. ;P

MS's pattern matching and virus lab is second to none. Extra malware clean up take your pick. Thats not what AV is about.

• khh likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users