irkaiel

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 23 October 2014 - 19:17

Hello,

I've played the game since Tuesday on Steam and it happened to me this evening...

In short the game wouldn't load and needed the .exe file (first mention of an error). It downloaded a 9.5 mb file, but then I got a "disk write error" or "not enough disk space" (something like that).

Now it tries to download the 9.5 mb file but never gets it (erratic, stops after 700kb or a bit more).

I tried to download the game from scratch but I have the same "disk write error" message from the beginning of the 2.9gb ...

I updated my drivers after having the error but it's the same. I also tried to install and run other games and they work...

Does someone know how to fix this ?

Thanks !

edit : it's the same in administrator mode

#2 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 23 October 2014 - 19:24

Sounds like your disk is full(or almost) to me. Free some up and try again.

Failing that, use steams verify integrity option under the games properties.

#3 irkaiel

irkaiel

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 23 October 2014 - 19:29

nope, it's what Steam apparently thinks for DC but I can download other games, so I guess it's specific to DC ?

#4 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 19:32

so I guess it's specific to DC ?

I doubt it. sounds like you have a disk issue, or its an issue for steam. https://support.stea...=9709-FKCB-4230
You would be best advised to ask on the steam forums for a solution, the issue is with their service, or your hardware.

Hope that helps some.

btw, welcome to the forum.

#5 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 19:44

I'm betting your antivirus is falsely triggering, and flagging the Dreamfall Chapters executable as a virus. Try to disable it.

• Lee-m likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#6 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 19:50

I'm betting your antivirus is falsely triggering, and flagging the Dreamfall Chapters executable as a virus. Try to disable it.

good call.

but that shouldn't result in a steam disk write error ?

#7 irkaiel

irkaiel

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 23 October 2014 - 19:52

I doubt it. sounds like you have a disk issue, or its an issue for steam. https://support.stea...=9709-FKCB-4230
You would be best advised to ask on the steam forums for a solution, the issue is with their service, or your hardware.

Hope that helps some.

btw, welcome to the forum.

ok thanks, I selected another drive and it seems to comply, for now (I'll have to see after the end of the full download).

I say for now because I first tried another drive, when I stopped, deleted, and selected that new drive again (to test if it would work again), I had the same error.

Now I'm trying to install it on a third drive...

Which is weird to me is that any other game can be intalled, deleted, reinstalled etc on any drive ...

I'll look into the other solutions, thanks for the help!

I already tried that, autoscan, antivirus, firewall... but I'll try again, thanks ;-)

#8 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 19:56

good call.

but that shouldn't result in a steam disk write error ?

When steam is writing out the file, sometimes the anti-virus will catch is during that process and block and delete the file. Then steam is suddenly left with an invalid file handle, and when it tries to write to that handle it gets an OS error. Since it's only the executable that's disappearing, it seems the most likely thing.

April Ryan is my friend,

#9 shadowdogg

shadowdogg

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 20:05

bitdefender is posting this as a trojan for me, thats why

• khh likes this

#10 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 20:06

When steam is writing out the file, sometimes the anti-virus will catch is during that process and block and delete the file. Then steam is suddenly left with an invalid file handle, and when it tries to write to that handle it gets an OS error. Since it's only the executable that's disappearing, it seems the most likely thing.

the AV should only be able to scan a full file once its been flushed. However, maybe the parts are being caught ?. Anyway I stand by my original advice that steam support is the way to go (even as awesome as we are).

for people that suspect its an AV issue, have your anti virus add an exception/do not scan for the dreamfall chapters dir under steam (or even the whole steam dir).

#11 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 20:08

Yes, f-secure is doing the same for me, inexplicably.

edit: @ Lee-m What's probably happening is that Steam downloads part of the file to a buffer, then writes the buffer to disk while continuing the download. This file write triggers the anti-virus to scan and mistakenly identify the file as a trojan, it deletes it. Then steam has filled the buffer again, goes to write to disk, get's a disk write error from the OS.

• Lee-m likes this

April Ryan is my friend,

#12 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 20:11

with the steam version?

#13 shadowdogg

shadowdogg

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 20:12

with the steam version?

yep, only happened today. They must have changed the exe from last night.

#14 Tracido

Tracido

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 20:14

with the steam version?

Yeah I was just on the steam forum trying to help someone with this issue, guy said he turned them off but same thing might have already happened, he tried to install on two HDD's.

#15 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 20:14

Yes, f-secure is doing the same for me, inexplicably.

edit: @ Lee-m What's probably happening is that Steam downloads part of the file to a buffer, then writes the buffer to disk while continuing the download. This file write triggers the anti-virus to scan and mistakenly identify the file as a trojan, it deletes it. Then steam has filled the buffer again, goes to write to disk, get's a disk write error from the OS.

Sounds logical. So...disable all AV and then download the game ? contact steam support and maybe your AV folks to register the issue.

• khh likes this

#16 shadowdogg

shadowdogg

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 20:18

Sounds logical. So...disable all AV and then download the game ? contact steam support and maybe your AV folks to register the issue.

Or get the developers to not have dodgy code, i trust my anti virus more than i do some random Norwegian game developers

#17 Tracido

Tracido

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 20:29

Or get the developers to not have dodgy code, i trust my anti virus more than i do some random Norwegian game developers

Steam is the one adding the DRM, not these guys...  Just saying, that's a bit uncalled for.

#18 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 20:35

Most anti-viruses will interpret this as a virus, if compiled under Cygwin. They are not infallible. 

int main(int argc, char** argv) {
    return 0;
}

• Lee-m, DiskJunky and Tracido like this

April Ryan is my friend,

#19 ShadowNate

ShadowNate

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 20:47

This seems to be a very common issue. Antivirus programms flaging (false positives) executables for games on steam. It has happened multiple times in some early access projects I'm participating and some other games that got updated within the last few months.

Is the dreamfall executable flaged as trojan (can you provide the actual warning?) or a PUP?
In any case if the developers become aware of this issue, they will probably be able to produce a new build that won't trigger the AV program, or get in touch with the AV company and further discuss the false positive issue.

If it's any help, avast! (latest version, all updates) does not produce any warnings about the Steam version of Dreamfall Chapters for me.

#20 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 20:53

Its not their fault your av doesn't have patterns for every new exe and automatically labels them as a threat. If you downloaded the game from steam you know its 100% legit.

Most AV is very poor, and there is nothing 'random' about red thread games. They are undeniable, and proven pro's, spanning 15 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users