Photo

is there any word on when a patch can be expected?

performance patch pizza

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 redfox

redfox

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 01:27

Morten: I can confirm now that the 3GB switch is really needed for this game in 32 bit Windows (with 4GB RAM), in order to run it without random crashes.

But, I am convinced that 2GB should be enough for an adventure game... not all textures have to be loaded into the memory at once. Maybe using some disk caching / virtual memory could help.

P.S. I have looked at HWinfo32 just after playing DFC (v. 1.1.1 / 2.1.0.3), and it seems that only single CPU core was used. The other one was cold. Does the application run better with only single core support?

• Morten likes this

#22 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 November 2014 - 02:21

Keep in mind that the game is built with the Unity engine, which is not as perfectly optimized as say the unreal engine. And since RTG are a small team, there are limits to the optimizations they can tack on top of that. Besides in this day and age it is not unreasonable for software to require more than a 2GB address space - Microsoft has opted to let 32-bit Windows become outdated (32-bit Linux supports 4GB address space for user applications). That said not every system actually requires the 3GB switch for the game to run smoothly, some - possibly most - can do without.

DFC does use more than one core, it will perform worse if locked to a single core. There are situations where the framerate in the game is bounded by the execution speed of a single thread, but if that core had to run the other stuff as well performance would suffer.

• agirlnamedbob, Tracido, redfox and 1 other like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#23 Tracido

Tracido

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:14

Oh, it's understandable to me, khh.  Matter of fact I'm surprised you guys don't have coffee for blood.  I've dealt with big mega corps, they don't give a damn, at all.  However, they do have tactical advantages beyond any smaller studio, so the getting it working for many systems you guys probably don't even have to test even now, takes a bit more time for any project like this.  You all at Red Thread have my support, keep up the badass hard work.

#24 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:43

That's great :) Uh, I just want to point out that I actually don't work for Red Thread, I'm just a mod on the forums.

But the RTG guys are really nice people. I've hung out with them on a few occasions, and they do care a lot and they do their best. :)

• Tina, agirlnamedbob, Tracido and 1 other like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: performance, patch, pizza

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users