27 replies to this topic

#1 renevampire

renevampire

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:03

I ran into to the game crashing Mac-related bug in Europolis and would like to continue to play the game on my Windows laptop. However, I cannot find the save game file(s) in any of the "standard" places on my Mac. Does anyone here know where the Mac-version puts the save files?

• Hermanzergy likes this

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:35

Try looking in the settings folder? From the FAQ

• Windows: Open "regedit.exe" (most easily found by searching for it in the start menu): Go to "HKCU\Software\Red Thread Games\Dreamfall Chapters"
  • Mac: "~/Library/Preferences" in a file named "unity.Red Thread Games.Dreamfall Chapters.plist"
  • Linux: "~/.config/unity3d/Red Thread Games/Dreamfall Chapters"

• Tracido likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 renevampire

renevampire

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 16:32

Unfortunately the settings don't include save game folder.

#4 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 16:39

Unfortunately the settings don't include save game folder.

It is probably in a folder named DreamfallChapters or RedThreadGames (or possibly with spaces, possibly all lower case). You could try searching.

April Ryan is my friend,

#5 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 16:42

Look in %APPDATA%\RedThreadGames\DreamfallChapters for the Windows version

And ... somewhere for the Mac version. :blush:

#6 Tofu

Tofu

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 17:51

And ... somewhere for the Mac version. :blush:

Ha ha...yeah. :P

I've been playing for hours until the Mac version started crashing and now I would like to give the game a try on my Windows laptop. But I just can't find those save files. :urgh:

#7 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 19:44

If you use the Mac Steam version, then enable cloud sync, and the save games should pop up automagically as long as the game is installed both places.

If you use the DRM free version, I would suggest sending an email to support (at) redthreadgames.com

#8 Tofu

Tofu

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 20:34

Thanks. I just played again on my laptop. Everything ran smoothly there - even in Europolis. Strange.

• Mr Moo likes this

#9 renevampire

renevampire

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:45

Save game location for Mac is PathToYourUserFolder/.config/RedThreadGames\DreamfallChapters/Autosave/

I guess it is probably the same for Linux version too, though I haven't checked that.

• Tina and Mr Moo like this

#10 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 October 2014 - 13:21

Save game location for Mac is PathToYourUserFolder/.config/RedThreadGames\DreamfallChapters/Autosave/

I guess it is probably the same for Linux version too, though I haven't checked that.

Thank you! All the save-game locations are now (well, in a second when I edit this in) in the FAQ in this topic. I will update the other FAQ as well ASAP.

• Tina and agirlnamedbob like this

April Ryan is my friend,

#11 GistOfSpirit

GistOfSpirit

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3102 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 15:41

It's kinda strange that the directory name for saves has a backslash in it in the Linux and Mac versions (sorry to bring this thread back, I just found out).

I guess they meant to have a "DreamfallChapters" directory inside a "RedThreadGames" one and forgot to use a system-agnostic directory separator instead of just the Windows one, but once it was out it's pointless to change it. :P

• Mr Moo likes this

#12 Aesonclast

Aesonclast

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 23:22

%AppData%\Roaming\RedThreadGames\DreamfallChapters\Autosave

What a terrible place for saved games. I had to rebuild my machine.... now... to play Chapter 2... I have to play Chapter 1 all over again.  Real buzz-kill to the giddiness of having Chapter 2 to play...

FWIW.... %USERPROFILE%\Documents... or %USERPROFILE%\Saved Games... when back-ups run, these locations are far more ideal. Not to mention -- gamers will look in the home directory, not in the local and roaming profiles... especially seeing as AppData is hidden.

#13 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 March 2015 - 23:48

No no no ... not even more save games in my documents! It has like 200 root folders already. Save games aren't documents, and don't belong there! :angry:

That said, I use a program called Game Save Manager which compresses my saves into one folder, which is stored on Dropbox.

My documents already contains 7.33GB (in 7508 files), and I have a hard time locating my own documents there. And I can't move them, or the games won't find their files. :(

• GistOfSpirit and pink75 like this

#14 GistOfSpirit

GistOfSpirit

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3102 posts

Posted 14 March 2015 - 19:07

If I may ask, Morten (assuming he reads this), why the move from Roaming to LocalLow on Windows? The way I understand it, the difference is that if the computer is on a domain, directories in Local and LocalLow aren't transferred between computers.

#15 cerisara

cerisara

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 21:11

I'm posting this out of desperation. I just got a new Macbook Air and would really really like to copy my save folder to this laptop from the old one (also Macbook Air). However, after hours of searching (using 'locate' with many different search words etc.) I STILL can't find it. It's not in my .config -folder (and I think this was for an older version of the game anyway?), it's not in my ~Library/Application Support. I've tried searching through threads in this forum, but couldn't find any that helped.

I installed the game on my old Macbook Air via Appstore and the system on it is: OSX 10.9.5. The version of the game is 2.0.2.3.

Anyone, help?

:tear:

#16 toremygg

toremygg

Harbinger of the Balance

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3577 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway

Posted 12 June 2015 - 21:23

The path should be in the FAQ thread. On mobile, so I can't link, sorry.

#17 cerisara

cerisara

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 22:03

The FAQ says:

• Mac: ~/Library/Application Support/Red Thread Games/Dreamfall Chapters/

But can't find it there :( (no Red Thread Games -folder)

#18 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 12 June 2015 - 22:20

How long has it been since you played the game? The save game location was moved to that location, but if you haven't played since it was moved, they may still be in ~/.config/RedThreadGames\DreamfallChapters/

Are you playing the game on Steam? If so, you can always see if they'll show up on the new MacBook via the Steam cloud backup, if you have that enabled. 

The only other thing I can think of is if the folders are somehow hidden, like if you don't have admin access to the computer you might not show them? (I'm really not an expert here.) 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#19 cerisara

cerisara

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 June 2015 - 22:32

I installed the game (over the App Store) like two weeks ago. I haven't played it over Steam (with the cloud -option, I'm wishing I did, but somehow this didn't occur to me when I bought the game from the App Store).

Anyway, I've checked my .config -folder several time too, but no luck. I use osx terminal for this kind of activity, no folders should  be left hidden there :-)

#20 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 12 June 2015 - 22:38

Hmm...I really am out of ideas then. :wacko: Those are the only two Mac locations we've been given (unless someone else knows of one that I missed). 

I guess my next step would be to do like... a full search for folders named RedThreadGames / DreamfallChapters. Or hopefully another Mac user will be able to confirm locations. The only thing I can think of is if the App store version is saving somewhere else for some reason, but like...I can't think of why that would be. 

Sorry I can't be more helpful. :(

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: OS X, saves

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users