Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1264 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 23 October 2014 - 00:29

Hello,

Since the update over Steam I just tested it out with Steam on, but didn't play. Just now I decided to play further a little bit and went to load the game as I will do so when I want to play. With no Steam. Using just the .exe.

This worked before, but now it doesn't. Could I ask someone tell me how to go back to not using Steam any more? If I'm forced to load Steam from now on I'll just ask for a GOG key and abandon the Steam version. I don't really like being obliged to use it and was very happy when I found out I didn't have to, initially.

If Steam have said you must make us load it, ok I understand. I just will decide to play with the other version. If it's an oversight then so much the better.

Cheers!

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7078 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 00:34

I just tested it on my computer, it still works perfectly fine while steam is not running here. What error message do you get?

At any rate, the humble version (once it gets synced) should be free of steam no matter what. But feel free to ask for a GOG key, too, if that's what you want.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1264 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 23 October 2014 - 00:38

No error, it starts Steam! I click on the exe and steam loads up. It didn't do that before, it just loaded the game. I even reported to other people "don't worry, you can just use the exe after downloading" but this is no longer true.

#4 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7078 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 00:42

No error, it starts Steam! I click on the exe and steam loads up. It didn't do that before, it just loaded the game. I even reported to other people "don't worry, you can just use the exe after downloading" but this is no longer true.

Oh. Well that sucks. I double checked, and apparently it does that for me too.

April Ryan is my friend,

#5 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1264 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 23 October 2014 - 00:44

I just alt-tabbed to the desktop to quit Steam. It shut down the game too. I then went offline first. The exited Steam. It shut down the game again. I unplugged the internet cable, started the game. It looked for the connection, then asked if I wanted to start in offline mode. I said yes. It loaded Steam. I alt-tabbed again to close it. It shut the game down.

This Steam version is now inextricably linked to Steam where it wasn't before. I won't get into anything further than "I was happy it was free from Steam, like my Steam version of TLJ, but now it's not any more and I do not want that."

#6 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1264 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 23 October 2014 - 00:45

Yeah. Maybe it's an option in the compiled exe that they forgot to allow. Maybe Steam has cerain conditions on the games it makes available. Anyway, no rant thread! Just a request either to tell me it will be back to how it was or I can change my version.

I'm beginning to see V's point :P

• agirlnamedbob and khh like this

#7 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1264 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 23 October 2014 - 00:51

Oh you know what, never mind. It is what it is. I just asked for the GOG key and will accept that Steam does its thing and will be grateful that I have the option to avoid it if I want.

• khh and Ceres like this

#8 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7078 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 00:54

Oh you know what, never mind. It is what it is. I just asked for the GOG key and will accept that Steam does its thing and will be grateful that I have the option to avoid it if I want.

Avoiding the problem. I like it.

April Ryan is my friend,

#9 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1264 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 23 October 2014 - 16:04

Yeah, avoidance is the best policy. No need to moan or try to force change in a system that is the way it is. Just elect not to use that system and move on. Relief!

GOG key received. Many thanks! :wub: Let the simple times roll!

• Tina and khh like this

#10 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1818 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 23 October 2014 - 16:09

The humble DRM free download works now too. I just tested it then stashed my download in a backup for safe keeping.

#11 MarkoH01

MarkoH01

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 17:53

Yeah. Maybe it's an option in the compiled exe that they forgot to allow. Maybe Steam has cerain conditions on the games it makes available. Anyway, no rant thread! Just a request either to tell me it will be back to how it was or I can change my version.

I'm beginning to see V's point :P

No, there are a few games available on Steam (like Tesla Effect) which are DRM-free (which means they run without the steam client) even they are on steam. It is NOT Steams decision! But that is one thing why many people hate Steam. Steam forces the user to use it - it is (mostly) not optional. Steam also forces the user to update a game if there is an update available. There are many things wrong with Steam but sometimes there is no alternative.

#12 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1057 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 18:35

This is because DRM is added to the Steam version. Try your DRM-free version from Humble Bundle or GOG if you want to play without Steam ;)

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#13 TheDreamer

TheDreamer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 18:46

This is because DRM is added to the Steam version. Try your DRM-free version from Humble Bundle or GOG if you want to play without Steam ;)

I thought its more the case that Steam in itself is DRM and was originally developed to be DRM.

#14 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1264 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 23 October 2014 - 21:28

Ok thanks for the clear answer. B)

#15 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2059 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 21:32

I thought its more the case that Steam in itself is DRM and was originally developed to be DRM.

This discussion again?

Steam was developed as Valve's distribution system for their own games, mods to these games, and for the VAC anti cheat system. Not for being a comprehensive DRM solution.

Steam itself is not any more DRM than, say GoG or Humble. I can't download games I don't own on any of these distribution/store platforms, which is the definition of digital rights management. Whether or not usage of the downloaded game also has DRM is another thing, altogether. There's nothing legally stopping GoG from selling games with DRM as well, it's a choice which may very well change in the future, no matter what they may to say today.

Now, most games on Steam do happen to use Steamworks API features as well (one of these being Steamworks DRM), as there is a humongous demand from users for features which Steamworks API happen to offer. Steam (and Valve), however, does not force or require developers and distributors to use Steamworks DRM, Steamworks API at all, or any other DRM. Still most games on Steam use both Steamworks API and it's DRM, or a third party DRM.

#16 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7078 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 21:37

This is probably the cause of this issue, you might want to keep this in mind: http://redthreadgame...error-on-steam/

April Ryan is my friend,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users