#1 Adaptive Unconscious

Adaptive Unconscious

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 22 October 2014 - 20:53

I hate that zoe curses so much! I mean I have the mouth of a sailor too, but she was so sweet in dreamfall

• WorldsReunited, Riaise, Devil Ray and 5 others like this

#2 Emmote

Emmote

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 21:00

She's grown up, I suppose. I wasn't too fond of that swearing either, but compared with a certain other character, she's practically a saint. :)

--Emmo

#3 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7093 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 October 2014 - 21:10

I loved the new Zoë. I didn't think she swore too much at all. Isn't that the normal amount?

• Tina, Valiah, Em_TC and 5 others like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#4 Devil Ray

Devil Ray

Rubber Ducky

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 21:11

since you know...I cant actually...play! 

It looks wonderful!!! 

but I have a complaint...

I hate that zoe 

Spoiler

Yeah.... A major let down.... 

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.

H. L. Menken

#5 somnolentsurfer

somnolentsurfer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationBradford, UK

Posted 22 October 2014 - 21:27

Yeah, I kinda thought this too. My vicar (who's the only other real life person I'm likely to get to discus this with) isn't going to like it...

• Elpiniki Kappa likes this

#6 Constanse

Constanse

Arcadia Native

• Shifter
  • PipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • LocationArendal

Posted 22 October 2014 - 21:29

I cannot honestly remember noticing her swearing once... I guess I just don't care that much about swearing :P

• WorldsReunited, popcorngal, khh and 5 others like this

- Tina the OWCUWNCIWC  -

Can I help you? I'm at your cervix!

#7 Adaptive Unconscious

Adaptive Unconscious

Fringe Café Regular

• Minstrum
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 22 October 2014 - 21:49

its during her

Spoiler

So I dont know if she's little miss potty mouth through the rest of the game...

#8 Eveolene

Eveolene

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 22 October 2014 - 21:53

Keep in mind that Dreamfall was censored quite a lot (Gordon's penis removal). It's possible that at the time, there was a push towards less swearing and it was a ratings issue, not an intended personality trait. In fact, I don't recall anyone swearing in Dreamfall (and I last played it last weekend).

So... just, you know, keep that in mind.

• wandrew likes this

"This story, like all good stories, begins where it ends, in a tower, in a realm that is no more." - Lady Alvane

"I will stop doing this thing that I love and makes me feel happy and fulfilled to follow you to the next stop on our pointless, depressing journey." - Shitbot

Dreamfall Chapters Transcript | Twitch Stream

#9 somnolentsurfer

somnolentsurfer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • LocationBradford, UK

Posted 22 October 2014 - 22:03

I don't recall anyone swearing in Dreamfall (and I last played it last weekend).

Marcus swears a heck of a lot. I'll never forget this, because a few years ago I played through Dreamfall with a friend's 11 or 12 year old kid, thinking it was probably suitable. They were out for the whole day while we played the rest of the game, then came home right in the middle of that scene!

#10 Flo

Flo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 22:08

I don't think Zoë swears that much in DFC.

#11 BenBandu

BenBandu

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 22:14

its during her

Spoiler

So I dont know if she's little miss potty mouth through the rest of the game...

That just reminded me of when April talked to herself in the Banda cave in TLJ. From what I remember that got a bit heated as well, but her true character isn't like that. It's just a tiny part of her.

• CosmicD and Frenzie like this

#12 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 22 October 2014 - 22:19

Good point about the Banda cave, those two scenes are really *very* similar!

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#13 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7093 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 October 2014 - 23:15

I cannot honestly remember noticing her swearing once... I guess I just don't care that much about swearing :P

It's probably a cultural thing. In Norway we don't care about swearing much, but in parts the US (and probably other places too) they react very differently to it.

• Tina, WorldsReunited and Em_TC like this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#14 Flo

Flo

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 23:21

"Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty woids!"

- South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut
  • wandrew, thearkive and spyked like this

#15 namowrepus2002@yahoo.com

namowrepus2002@yahoo.com

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 23:57

It doesn't bother me at all, personally...for what she's had to deal with I think she's earned the right ;)

• aeonfluxx75 likes this

#16 Emmote

Emmote

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:00

It wasn't so much the swearing that I didn't like, it was more the off-handedness of some of it.

I'm certainly not against swearing, I mean, I swear quite a lot. It has it's uses and you've really got to pick your moments to properly emphasise your anger or pleasure at something. The way Mira swears makes her have to come up with ever more extreme metaphors to get her point across otherwise her swearing is basically irrelevant because it's just how she speaks, it becomes white noise. I felt the few times that Zoë swore was abrupt enough for it to make a sufficient dent in the conversation as intended, but it felt like it was in the wrong place, that it emphasised the wrong sentences or something, like she was swearing just for the sake of swearing and also maybe a little out of character.

I'm not going to ask the swearing to stop, definitely not - if Mira did that she'd become as silent as Wit which would be no fun at all - and it certainly has it's place. I guess it just threw me off a little at the beginning by how off-handed Zoë's swearing was I guess.

ps. You can basically consider this rambling, I don't think I'm even trying to get a point across, just talking out loud.

• popcorngal, khh, Riaise and 3 others like this

--Emmo

#17 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:22

People grow up, it happens.

• WorldsReunited, aeonfluxx75 and BenBandu like this

jHevh80.jpg

#18 DarkPerson

DarkPerson

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:31

It wasn't so much the swearing that I didn't like, it was more the off-handedness of some of it.

I'm certainly not against swearing, I mean, I swear quite a lot. It has it's uses and you've really got to pick your moments to properly emphasise your anger or pleasure at something. The way Mira swears makes her have to come up with ever more extreme metaphors to get her point across otherwise her swearing is basically irrelevant because it's just how she speaks, it becomes white noise. I felt the few times that Zoë swore was abrupt enough for it to make a sufficient dent in the conversation as intended, but it felt like it was in the wrong place, that it emphasised the wrong sentences or something, like she was swearing just for the sake of swearing and also maybe a little out of character.

I'm not going to ask the swearing to stop, definitely not - if Mira did that she'd become as silent as Wit which would be no fun at all - and it certainly has it's place. I guess it just threw me off a little at the beginning by how off-handed Zoë's swearing was I guess.

ps. You can basically consider this rambling, I don't think I'm even trying to get a point across, just talking out loud.

I agree. Zoe to Zoe conversation felt a bit off. It was quite odd that old Zoe was swearing instead of the new one, while she didn't swear once in dreamfall. It felt like she just learned how to swear. Old Zoe felt like the evil April from the spirit dig. That's kind of why It felt off for me.

• Clairobscur likes this

#19 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:44

I knew that it was supposed to be the "old character model" of Zoe (from Dreamfall) arguing with the "new" model, but I was giggling for a moment there thinking "why is Lara Croft insulting Zoe again?" 

• Adaptive Unconscious likes this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#20 Silvirish4ever

Silvirish4ever

Vestrum Crier

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationTop of the world

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:00

100% agree.

Like the OP says, I also consider myself to have a potty mouth, but some of Zöe's swearing sounded forced to me. And a little repetitive.

I remember reading in the diary a lot of "fucks" that I kept asking myself why they were there. For instance, when the little girl comes to her and says that she knows her, I don't really see the point of that "What the fuck was that???". I mean, ok, it was a weird encounter, and I would have felt shocked too, but... That came across as angry, I guess?

I don't know. Maybe it's just me. Maybe it's just that I am (like many others here, apparently) just used to the old Dreamfall Zöe.

BTW, I would change the title of the topic, because this is an actual subject that I wanted to touch upon (and surely I am not the only one). However, I came to this thread by pure chance, as the title doesn't say anything about the whole swearing issue.

• Riaise, Devil Ray, Clairobscur and 2 others like this

Leader of the League of Glasses! If you are a fellow glasses wearer, or just find glasses cool, join us!

Solving mysteries with my punch-line-expert partner - Goatee-S. strokebeard.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users