49 replies to this topic

#1 pixelat3d

pixelat3d

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 19:26

Your menu seems to cap out at 2560x1440 now, and no longer lists what the card/display can support. This is new with your release day patch.

Two problems:

* You have broken ultra-wide screen 21:9 Aspect ratio (This was available and worked correctly in the prerelease/early access version).

* Nvidia has been pushing and using DSR for their 9xx series of cards. You have effectively broken it for a lot of players.

Please restore the old functionality.

• Victorplepe likes this

#2 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 22 October 2014 - 19:38

I don't know how and why you would be able to set the screen to 21:9 aspect ratio in the pre-release at all as this is not supported in our game.

Nothing regarding aspect ratios were changed from the pre-release to the full release at all, so there's nothing we've just turned off for that version.

The resolutions in the settings menu will list every available resolution supported by your monitor/graphics device that is within the aspect ratios DFC supports.

As I said, we haven't changed anything with regards to this from pre-release to full release, so I don't know why you could even set it to that resolution other than overriding game settings by some other magic.

Hope this helps :)

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#3 pixelat3d

pixelat3d

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 19:51

I can only tell you what I experienced, as I don't have a screenshot of the settings page (though i do have multiple of the game at 3440x1440). Maybe it has something to do when you moved/rearranged the menus themselves? This would have been the build that you first send out to backers -- mondayyyyy night?

Regardless, if you're not going to officially support ultrawide then I will simply hack it in and go the unoffical route. Thanks for the response.

#4 MarkoH01

MarkoH01

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 20:06

Speaking of resolutions. I am not able to change the resolution at all in the Steam version. I can pick a resolution from the menu, apply changes but everything stays the same. Is this a known issue?

(NVidia Geforce GTX650Ti, WinXP, DX9, Desktop Resolution 1280x720)

#5 MarkoH01

MarkoH01

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 20:16

Speaking of resolutions. I am not able to change the resolution at all in the Steam version. I can pick a resolution from the menu, apply changes but everything stays the same. Is this a known issue?

I managed to change the resolution in game but it only worked after I changed my desktop resolution to 1920x1080 - very strange.

#6 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 October 2014 - 20:16

If you're running the game in fullscreen the image will be automatically upscaled to your monitors resolution, but it's still rendered at the resolution you chose. If you run it in windowed mode, you should see a difference.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#7 MarkoH01

MarkoH01

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 22:19

If you're running the game in fullscreen the image will be automatically upscaled to your monitors resolution, but it's still rendered at the resolution you chose. If you run it in windowed mode, you should see a difference.

Having the desktop an 1280x720 (which is my normal desktop resolution but NOT my normal game resolution) I am not able to switch to full HD or use lower settings. I would really notice it if the game would switch to HD because the text would be easier readable. So it really is NOT rendered at the chosen resolution. That is only the case if I run my desktop in full HD (which I don't want for browsing and normal working because I have a small monitor).

#8 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 October 2014 - 22:22

Having the desktop an 1280x720 (which is my normal desktop resolution but NOT my normal game resolution) I am not able to switch to full HD or use lower settings. I would really notice it if the game would switch to HD because the text would be easier readable. So it really is NOT rendered at the chosen resolution. That is only the case if I run my desktop in full HD (which I don't want for browsing and normal working because I have a small monitor).

Oh, this is true. The game currently won't support a higher resolution than you're currently using on your monitor. This is because it runs in full screen in a borderless window, rather than true fullscreen. They will add true fullscreen in an upcomming patch, and what you want might be possible then.

• Mr Moo likes this

April Ryan is my friend,

#9 pixelat3d

pixelat3d

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 22:34

In the interest of not having a bunch of threads pop up, and because of Morten's answer, I looked into changing the res manually, and it's super trivial. Just keep in mind that "unsupported" means "we dont support this" so don't complain about other issues while already doing something that isn't supported. They have enough on their plate.

These instructions are for windows, other platforms are slightly different.

1) Start -> Run -> Regedit <press return>

2) Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Red Thread Games\Dreamfall Chapters and modify the following keys:

note; I have put in {HASH} at the end of the key names, becasue they look randomly generated and may vary per install (i didnt take the time to check).

Screenmanager Resolution Width_{HASH}

Screenmanager Resolution Height_{HASH}

SavedResolution_{HASH}

Set Screenmanager Resolution Width_ and Screenmanager Resolution Height_ to your width and height in hexadeciaml respectivly (click the Decimal checkbox and enter it, then click Hexadecimal before you save it).

Set SavedResolution_{HASH} to a simple string of "widthxheight" where width is your screen width, and height is your screen height.

Happy gaming. No guarantees! : )

237850_2014-10-21_00058.png

• Morten, wandrew, thelj and 1 other like this

#10 rayman1900

rayman1900

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 14:08

Hi, 

since I have a 2009 macbook pro 13po, I fully agree to play the game in the lowest possible settings. However, when I'm playing in windowed mode, it seems I can't change my resolution to a lower one. The only option in the resolution dropdown I'll get will be my current one (1080 x 800). Is that possible ? Why is there no other available resolutions for me ? 

Thanks !

#11 Victrola75

Victrola75

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:42

In the interest of not having a bunch of threads pop up, and because of Morten's answer, I looked into changing the res manually, and it's super trivial. Just keep in mind that "unsupported" means "we dont support this" so don't complain about other issues while already doing something that isn't supported. They have enough on their plate.

These instructions are for windows, other platforms are slightly different.

1) Start -> Run -> Regedit <press return>

2) Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Red Thread Games\Dreamfall Chapters and modify the following keys:

note; I have put in {HASH} at the end of the key names, becasue they look randomly generated and may vary per install (i didnt take the time to check).

Screenmanager Resolution Width_{HASH}

Screenmanager Resolution Height_{HASH}

SavedResolution_{HASH}

Set Screenmanager Resolution Width_ and Screenmanager Resolution Height_ to your width and height in hexadeciaml respectivly (click the Decimal checkbox and enter it, then click Hexadecimal before you save it).

Set SavedResolution_{HASH} to a simple string of "widthxheight" where width is your screen width, and height is your screen height.

Happy gaming. No guarantees! : )

Can this also be done on a Mac? I borrowed a computer and it was going well but midway through Europolious it crashes like crazy and the lowest resolution i have access to is 1280x960

#12 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:53

Can this also be done on a Mac? I borrowed a computer and it was going well but midway through Europolious it crashes like crazy and the lowest resolution i have access to is 1280x960

Yes, but you have to edit an xml file rather than messing about with the registry. The location of the settings file on Mac is in the FAQ.

April Ryan is my friend,

#13 MarkoH01

MarkoH01

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:55

Oh, this is true. The game currently won't support a higher resolution than you're currently using on your monitor. This is because it runs in full screen in a borderless window, rather than true fullscreen. They will add true fullscreen in an upcomming patch, and what you want might be possible then.

I have found a workaround for this until the game is patched:

I downloaded and installed the free 12noon display changer here: http://12noon.com/ (I used display changer for XP, for Win7/Win8 you might need Display Changer II). After that I only changed my desktop/start menu link from

"E:\Dreamfall Chapters\Dreamfall Chapters.exe"

to

"C:\Programme\12noon Display Changer\dc.exe" -width=1920 -height=1080 "E:\Dreamfall Chapters\Dreamfall Chapters.exe"

Now everytime I am starting DFC my desktop runs (without even noticing) in full HD and the changing of resolution in game works perfect. Still need the option for VSync though.
  • khh likes this

#14 Kukov

Kukov

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 04:18

pixelat3d, thanks for the registry work-around - I just tried it and it worked perfectly.

Also, to back up the original poster, I, too remember the very first time I booted up the game it booted into 2560x1080 - looked fine. But I wanted to take a screenshot, then switch to 1920x1080, take another screen shot, and compare - I'm always paranoid about games stretching/cropping the frame rather than just revealing more of it. Anyway, when I changed the resolution to 1920, I couldn't change it back to 2560 - what's more, at 1920 it was DEFINITELY stretching the frame - with full-screen mode on. But when I turned full-screen mode off, rather than putting it back to the normal resolution, 1920, with black bars on the side - as it should - it would give me windowed.

TL;DR: I, too, noticed that 2560 disappeared from my first use of the game, and am happy to have a way to do it in 21:9.

All that being said, has anyone done 2560 vs. 1920 comparison shots? The game looks fine to me, but there are certain cutscene framing shots that seem off - where it feels a bit too tight on a character's face, or where there's something on the far left and far right of the frame that seems important and that, in 1920, would be cut out - thus leaving me to wonder, if I WASN'T using 2560, would all of this important detail be cut? i.e. Zoe and therapist being on opposite sides of frame in some shots - it's fine in 2560 but would be cut out in 1920, assuming the game is rendering and showing us more rather than less.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks!

EXAMPLE:

In this 2560x1080 shot, if I didn't have it in the wide aspect ratio all of Zoe's head/hair would be cut out, leaving the therapist looking into blank space - clearly we're meant to see PART of Zoe. Does this mean I'm seeing more than a 1920, or the same, in which case how is it being cropped?

2014-11-08_00003.jpg

#15 TheDuff10

TheDuff10

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:53

Hi,

@khh Following up the query on 3440x1440 resolution, can RTG please advise any progress on plans for supporting this? I find sad to read a statement we are not supporting this, that's not fair and that's not what your customers want to hear mate.

If you still not supporting higher that hd resolution is there any chance we can get a hint how to handle the problem on Macs the unofficial way?

I have tried to amend the resolution to 3440x1440 in ~/Library/Preferences/unity.Red Thread Games.Dreamfall Chapters.plist, unfortunately every time I run the game the best it can do is 1920x1080 and my settings in the plist are overwritten as soon as I load the game.

Obviously playing HD resolution on Ultra-wide monitor, it feels like playing The Longest Journey 640x480 scaled on HD monitor.

Sorry if this problem has been resolved elsewhere, can anyone please give me some directions.

Thanks

#16 Ikon

Ikon

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2788 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:02

I disagree with the "that's not what your customers want to hear" as well as "that's not fair". I don't recall any mention of UltraWide resolution support during the campaign. If RTG were to decide to support it, I think it would be an example of tremendous customer support, but I think we all have to remember that RTG is a small studio and set our expectations accordingly.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#17 Kari2

Kari2

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco Bay Area

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:44

EXAMPLE:

In this 2560x1080 shot, if I didn't have it in the wide aspect ratio all of Zoe's head/hair would be cut out, leaving the therapist looking into blank space - clearly we're meant to see PART of Zoe. Does this mean I'm seeing more than a 1920, or the same, in which case how is it being cropped?

2014-11-08_00003.jpg

Here is 1920x1080

AyOwAQF.jpg

#18 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 29 November 2014 - 10:13

Hi,

@khh Following up the query on 3440x1440 resolution, can RTG please advise any progress on plans for supporting this? I find sad to read a statement we are not supporting this, that's not fair and that's not what your customers want to hear mate.

If you still not supporting higher that hd resolution is there any chance we can get a hint how to handle the problem on Macs the unofficial way?

I have tried to amend the resolution to 3440x1440 in ~/Library/Preferences/unity.Red Thread Games.Dreamfall Chapters.plist, unfortunately every time I run the game the best it can do is 1920x1080 and my settings in the plist are overwritten as soon as I load the game.

Just so we're clear, I and the other mods don't work for RTG, and so we can't speak for them and we don't have much inside information.

As far as I know RTG does not have any plans to implement more supported aspect ratios, though the game does support 4K resolution (3840×2160).

I don't know why the settings you define in that file gets overwritten - as far as I can tell that is the right place to edit it. But I don't have access to a Mac so I can't check if there's a way to do it.

April Ryan is my friend,

#19 TheDuff10

TheDuff10

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 15:33

Just so we're clear, I and the other mods don't work for RTG, and so we can't speak for them and we don't have much inside information.

As far as I know RTG does not have any plans to implement more supported aspect ratios, though the game does support 4K resolution (3840×2160).

I don't know why the settings you define in that file gets overwritten - as far as I can tell that is the right place to edit it. But I don't have access to a Mac so I can't check if there's a way to do it.

Thank you for the clarification.

As I very much like this matter to be considered by RTG developers, can you please advise if feedback given on this forum is heard at right places by those who may be able to help?

Many thanks

#20 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 November 2014 - 15:45

This forum is a great way to get in touch with RTG and bring issues to their attention. Morten, who responded here first, is RTG Staff.

He might be able to give you some better info, but probably not until Monday Oslo time.
  • khh likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users