Photo

Can Pre-release Speculation be "Spoilers"?

spoilers

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 00:52

I'd respond to Morten's original thread, but it's locked.

Basically, a thread in the old forums reminds me of how pre-release speculation can, ultimately, be an unintended form of spoilers.

What I wrote there was:

[...] There are some very smart, dedicated fans out here who are perfectly able to figure things out collaboratively...they aren't spoilers in the pure sense since they are only speculation, but the impact (having a decent idea of what seems likely to happen) is not dissimilar to a "spoiler."

It turns out that RTG aren't going to post JourneyCon hint pictures anywhere because, "With too much time to scrutinise them, those hints turn into nasty spoilers!"

Maybe it's the nature of the beast.  I certainly don't blame anybody for being excited about figuring things out, speculating, proving/disproving theories based on new info/tweets/etc., and as we get closer to release it might get harder to avoid.

So I guess I'm mentioning it in the context of this "no spoilers" subforum.  I think speculation probably has to be allowed here, right?  Speculation can't be a spoiler by definition, even if it happens to be correct, right?

It's just up to individuals to risk finding out well-reasoned arguments based on months of information and hints why

Spoiler

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "LEGO Lord of the Rings" and "Bioshock."  Previous game: "The Stanley Parable."   Updated 18-Mar-2019

#2 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 04:51

Yeah, I'd like to be able to speculate, and I don't know if I'm disciplined to keep all my random thoughts strictly separated into maybe-spoiler and definitely-spoiler-free.

Well-functioning spoiler text (which is definitely better on this forum) should help.

#3 trentjaspar

trentjaspar

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 13 December 2013 - 16:53

I certainly agree-- speculate away in a subforum like this (but maybe not in others).

The occasional spoiler tag couldn't hurt, but doesn't seem strictly necessary.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Current game:  "LEGO Lord of the Rings" and "Bioshock."  Previous game: "The Stanley Parable."   Updated 18-Mar-2019

#4 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 27 January 2014 - 22:26

Agreed. As long as the thread title itself gives some warning, not just the individual post - you may have to scroll past a picture for example. I personally hate spoilers but that's just me.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#5 Avernus

Avernus

Fringe Café Regular

• Shifter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationOregon State

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:13

I'm too addicted to speculation myself. I'll be careful to not ruin anything for new players or people that like to come to their own conclusions.

Let me tell you why you're here.You're here because you know something. What you know you can't explain, but you feel it. You've felt it your entire life, that there's something wrong with the world. You don't know what it is, but it's there, like a splinter in your mind, driving you mad. It is this feeling that has brought you to me. Do you know what I'm talking about?

~Morpheus

http://www.mountainfortune.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: spoilers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users