#81 Dagget

Dagget

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 13 March 2015 - 13:34

Got around to loading this on my laptop after Book 2 came out.

AMD A8-3520m (Llano - 4 phenom cores) @ 1.6ghz

6 Gb DDR3 1333 RAM 7-7-7-21 timings

1600x900

Is sluggish but playable on medium settings

on low setting more fps, less lag but starting to to look too bland/ugly.

#82 thearkive

thearkive

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 March 2015 - 00:46

CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @2.40GHz

RAM: 4GB DDR2 800Mhz

GPU: Sapphire R9 270X 4GB

I've made a few changes since then. I've added another 4GB of RAM and am running my Q6600 overclocked to 3.00 GHz. Book 2 runs surprisingly well on this old wreck.

#83 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2094 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 15 March 2015 - 16:24

CPU: i5-4670K @ 3.4 GHz

RAM: 8 GB (800MHz? DDR3)

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6970 (2GB)

I run the game at 1920x1080, awesome setting, everything on max, except for motion blur. Only place movement is really jerky is in Pandemonium, else I have no performance issues. 20-60 fps (v-sync) up and about, the one time I checked. I find the game runs perfectly (apart from in Pandemonium) since the performance patch in book one.

I play with Xbox360 cabled controller. It has some issues (running in some random direction after cut scene, especially) but it's nothing major.

#84 VikMorroHun

VikMorroHun

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 March 2015 - 19:03

Restarted the game recently.

System Information: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.6 GHz, Windows 7 SP 1 (64 bit), Nvidia GTX 780 Ti, 16 GB RAM
Awesome settings, 1920*1080 resolution, everything maxed out. Experienced some stuttering coming out of The Hand That Feeds office.
It seems the game doesn't really distribute the load between the four CPU cores. The load on core 0 is somewhere around 80-90%, the other three are maxed around 40%.
GPU usage didn't go above 58%.

When I lowered the shadow distance to 12 meters stuttering almost vanished. Interesting.

Further testing indicates stuttering occures when the load suddenly goes up on the other three cores for a brief period. Or not. I give up. :)

#85 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2094 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 March 2015 - 21:28

Unity 4, which DFC currently uses, doesn't fully utilize more than one CPU core, which really punishes those with many cores, like you. Unity 5, which DFC will move to at some point, should utilize multiple cores well. Shadow distance is one of the most resource heavy settings in the game. DFC will likely run much better for you with Unity 5, as full multi core support would remove your current CPU single core performance obstacle.

Edit: Now 'fully utilize' which is correct.

#86 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7117 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 March 2015 - 21:43

That's not 100 % correct, Unity 4 does off load some stuff to separate threads and it runs slower on a single core machine than a dual core one, if each core has comparable processing power. However it still does most of its processing in a single heavy thread that ends up being the performance limiting factor on many machines, and we're hoping that with Unity 5 this single heavy thread will be broken in separate subtasks, which would improve performance on modern machines.

(Uh ... I know I talk kinda like a developer here, but I'm not one. Just ... to avoid confusion)

• thearkive likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#87 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 22 March 2015 - 21:54

Unity 4, which DFC currently uses, doesn't utilize more than one CPU core

That's not 100 % correct, Unity 4 does off load some stuff to separate threads and it runs slower on a single core machine than a dual core one,

Just to add something to that. It makes reasonable use of a dual core, and its not really playable on a single core. The sound breaks up a lot for a start, it runs at a reasonable frame rate (like 20fps), but there is some stuttering. I tried it out once on a single core of my i5 (2500k @ 4.4ghz). Purely in the interests of science I guess.
  • khh likes this

#88 Olstyle

Olstyle

Vestrum Crier

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 March 2015 - 21:55

I am still not convinced Unity 5 will add "magic" multi core support. Normally a developer has to specifically parallelize his function calls, whatever the language/framework used.
So if the load is because of some custom scripts by RTG, I expect they would have to rewrite/adjust those. If the main load is from the Engine core, I'd be more optimistic.

#89 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7117 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 March 2015 - 22:15

I am still not convinced Unity 5 will add "magic" multi core support. Normally a developer has to specifically parallelize his function calls, whatever the language/framework used.
So if the load is because of some custom scripts by RTG, I expect they would have to rewrite/adjust those. If the main load is from the Engine core, I'd be more optimistic.

It's just the drawing of the terrain, lighting, models, shadows, etc that's causing the problem. It's pretty much all engine stuff. 

April Ryan is my friend,

#90 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2094 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 March 2015 - 22:24

Just to add something to that. It makes reasonable use of a dual core, and its not really playable on a single core. The sound breaks up a lot for a start, it runs at a reasonable frame rate (like 20fps), but there is some stuttering. I tried it out once on a single core of my i5 (2500k @ 4.4ghz). Purely in the interests of science I guess.

I stand corrected. My CPU might bee to fast for me to notice the (low) load on the other core(s) above other running processes. :)

#91 Retrostage

Retrostage

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:09

we're hoping that with Unity 5 this single heavy thread will be broken in separate subtasks, which would improve performance on modern machines.

Do you consider upgrading ALL the Chapters (Book 1, Book 2,...) to Unity 5? Is it realistic to see the upgrade with Book 3?

#92 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3098 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:16

Do you consider upgrading ALL the Chapters (Book 1, Book 2,...) to Unity 5? Is it realistic to see the upgrade with Book 3?

khh does not work for RTG (and neither do I, just in case).

They will obviously upgrade all books to unity 5, as doing only some of them would be more complex due to having to include two versions of unity in one game.

• Tina likes this

#93 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:17

Of course all the chapters will be upgraded to Unity 5, because they are not seperate applications, but one game that's just coming out in parts (you can't have half of it in one engine and half in another). And I think it's quite likely that the "transition" will be done by Book 3, since RTG want to release the PS4 version (which requires porting to Unity 5 anyway) at about the same time.

EDIT: In case it needs saying, I'm just a fan as well, I don't have any inside information but what is posted here.

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

#94 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7117 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:20

I would not expect it with Book 3, but maybe Book 4. If (when) it happens, it will be for all the books as Indrid Cold said.

April Ryan is my friend,

#95 Retrostage

Retrostage

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:47

Ok, so bad performance till the end? I'm playing on a low end hardware (Core i3, 8GB RAM, Intel HD4000), I know, but I'm concerned that the hw specs will be higher and higher and I hope that Unity 5 can bring a little boost. Hopefully.

#96 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1857 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:52

Its debatable if unity 5 would bring much of an improvement to an i3 anyway. Guess it depends what sort of i3. Most of them are dual core with hyperthreading to make 2 fake cores.
Hyperthreading isnt known to be effective in most games anyway.
  • khh likes this

#97 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 24 March 2015 - 11:52

I would not expect it with Book 3, but maybe Book 4. If (when) it happens, it will be for all the books as Indrid Cold said.

Yeah, didn't I read somewhere that they'll likely port the PC version to Unity 5 after having released first PS4 book or something? I think I read something like that.

I mean, when I think about it, I feel this makes sense as well. Since PS4 will start with Book 1 (of course), they'll have less to test after that initial Unity 5 port (plus PS4 has fixed hardware etc, which makes the testing a lot easier for RTG). But they can still continue to work with Book 3 using Unity 4, so it's not delayed or anything.

I'm totally making that second paragraph up in my non-technical head, but it makes sense in there :P

• khh likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#98 Indrid Cold

Indrid Cold

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3098 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:03

I thought the PS4 version would come with all already-existing books when it's released.

#99 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7117 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:10

The episodes will apparently be separately purchasable on PS4, since Sony requires that. So they could release them one by one as they get the tests and polish right for each.

• Indrid Cold likes this

April Ryan is my friend,

#100 urzagc13

urzagc13

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1052 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 24 March 2015 - 12:11

Last I heard, the PS4 version's "first episode" is planned to be Books1+2 together (for a "meaty" first impression of the series). And yes, Sony requires that an episodic series to be sold per episode (not only the whole season), but Book 1 will always be compiled with Book 2. Books 3,4 and 5 will be sold separately though.

• Tina, khh and Indrid Cold like this

Giorgos Chrysikopoulos - Dream Traveller

Check out the unofficial (headcanon) backstory of my Europolis Most Wanted Dreamfall Character: meet the "The Scientist Thief"!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: settings, hardware, CPU, GPU

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users