Photo

Crashing Everywhere in Europolis (Spoilers?)

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#121 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:56

I would assume the installer tells you, if your system doesn't support 64 bit? But if not, it'll probably crash or hang immediately, so you'll soon find out! :P

All i7s support 64-bit. Intel has had full 64-bit support since the Core2.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#122 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 November 2014 - 20:58

While I would love to try out some things to test this issue, I'm still downloading a file for the next 31 hours. :P

And I'd have to locate a different boot disk, as my installed drive uses NTFS format.

#123 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 10 November 2014 - 21:03

All i7s support 64-bit. Intel has had full 64-bit support since the Core2.

Good point, I totally missed the CPU type and age. :blush:

Downloaded XP Home & Pro x86 SP3, so I may do some testing one of these days with XP 32bit, Radeon, /3G and DFC. ;)

#124 April-Alpha

April-Alpha

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 21:06

Like i said DFC already using LAA. There is no need to use LAA aplication.

If you have 32bit windows you should allow applicatinons to use more RAM.

Go check:"Spoiler: Instructions for allowing applications to use more RAM in 32-bit operating systems" in the link i gave.

It worked for me. Its a quite laggy (europolis) but i can play.

Settings low (on europolis, other loc. High)

Windows XP 32bit SP3

Intel® Core™2 CPU 6420 @ 2.13GHz

RAM 2GB (+ 2GB Pagefile)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 275 (340.52)

You're my hero! :sotb:

Europolis went on my notebook with Windows 8.1 64bit and only 2Gb of Ram (very very very slowly and bad) and not on my desktop with Windows 7 32bit and 3Gb of Ram.  :o  It crashed. And with the patch it was worse, it didn't load the save points. Now, with your solution, it goes well.
I'm happy! Thank you! :ehehe:

#125 gunnerstahl

gunnerstahl

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 19:03

Can't even play anymore; same as everyone here; keeps crashing when I exit the Dr's office... waste of $40/50?

#126 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 16 November 2014 - 20:12

gunnerstahl:

Can you detail your setup?

what OS? 32 or 64 bit?

what CPU/GPU do you have? How much RAM?

• Morten and khh like this

#127 gunnerstahl

gunnerstahl

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 02:52

gunnerstahl:

Can you detail your setup?

what OS? 32 or 64 bit?

what CPU/GPU do you have? How much RAM?

AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 Ghz

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit SP 1

8 GB RAM

AMD RADEON 5700 series

#128 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 18 November 2014 - 11:00

The issues you're having is very likely to be related to your operating system being a 32-bit system.

32-bit operating systems can't allocate more memory than ~2GB for each application, regardless of your total amount of system RAM.

A workaround to increase this limit to ~3GB, which have worked for many others with similar issues as you're seeing, can be found in the FAQ thread. See the "Performance / Graphics related issues"-section, under the first paragraph ("Out of memory crashes on 32-bit operating systems")

From tests on Win 7 32-bit (and most likely other 32-bit Windows installations), we're seeing that the OS actually crashes the application when it exceeds 1,7GB of allocated memory. Europolis runs at about 1,5GB-1,7GB of allocated memory when on the lowest graphics settings on our test machine. Also, when loading into the scene, memory allocation can sometimes jump to just above 1,7GB, before being reduced to ~1,5GB (as seen on a 64-bit system or a system with the above fix applied), which on a 32-bit system without the fix will result in a crash.

So I strongly recommend you to apply the above mentioned fix described in the FAQ thread. Hope it helps with your issues. :)

• agirlnamedbob and Crowboy like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#129 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 13:39

Just to add to Morten's post, make sure patch 1.1.1 is installed (in addition to applying the fix he mentioned, It will not replace it!)

#130 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 18 November 2014 - 17:10

Why does gunnerstahl have 8 GB with 32-bit Windows?

#131 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 18 November 2014 - 19:53

dual partition? lack of knowledge? Future proofing? who knows? (probably just gunnerstahl ) :)

• Mr_Russ likes this

#132 Véro

Véro

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 15:21

Hello friends !

I am the one with the AMD card / win XP 32 bit problem : not compatible with 3GB switch

I'd be curious to know how MooHouse tests went whether it the 3GB switch works for gunnerstahl (he also has AMD radeon).

I escaped that problem by installing Linux Mint 64 bit (took me some time, who said DFC puzzles were easy ? ;p) and now I can play through the game ! :)

Thank you RTG for giving me the necessary motivation to go through disk shrinking, partition creation and dual-boot and linux learning ;p very happy with my new OS!

However there are no compatible proprietary driver for old AMD cards like mine (Radeon HD 4xxx) so i have to use the open source radeon driver.

Fps ok on 'low' setting, but i can't play medium (5-6 fps).

not sure if that is due to the driver or again to a RAM limit (3.5 GB)

also everything appears very very dark (changing monitor settings doesn't help) and i don't know if there are parameters to change on the open source radeon driver or how to do that, anyone knows?

anyway I can play now, and computer is much faster, so i'm happy :)

thanks for your help here!

Véro

• Morten likes this

#133 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 21 November 2014 - 15:58

everything appears very very dark

How do you change the gamma in Linux?

#134 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 November 2014 - 18:05

Hello friends !

I am the one with the AMD card / win XP 32 bit problem : not compatible with 3GB switch

I'd be curious to know how MooHouse tests went whether it the 3GB switch works for gunnerstahl (he also has AMD radeon).

I escaped that problem by installing Linux Mint 64 bit (took me some time, who said DFC puzzles were easy ? ;p) and now I can play through the game ! :)

Thank you RTG for giving me the necessary motivation to go through disk shrinking, partition creation and dual-boot and linux learning ;p very happy with my new OS!

However there are no compatible proprietary driver for old AMD cards like mine (Radeon HD 4xxx) so i have to use the open source radeon driver.

Fps ok on 'low' setting, but i can't play medium (5-6 fps).

not sure if that is due to the driver or again to a RAM limit (3.5 GB)

also everything appears very very dark (changing monitor settings doesn't help) and i don't know if there are parameters to change on the open source radeon driver or how to do that, anyone knows?

anyway I can play now, and computer is much faster, so i'm happy :)

thanks for your help here!

Véro

I'm glad you got it working.

There is an in-game option to change the gamma, that should help with the game being dark.

It's hard to say why it causes the low fps on medium as it could rightly be both of those things. If disabling AA and shadows improves the FPS substantially it's probably the card/driver, otherwise it's probably RAM related. But I guess it's a fact either way.

• Morten likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#135 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 21 November 2014 - 21:22

Latest kickstarter update says we'll be seeing a patch next week.

Maybe it will allow 32bit players to play without /3GB switch

#136 tummy ooh aah

tummy ooh aah

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 29 November 2014 - 20:31

Would like to update that with the recent patch I can now load Propast on my 32bit system.

Thank you RTG! :wub:

• agirlnamedbob, Crowboy and Pawlo_86 like this

#137 Crowboy

Crowboy

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 00:11

using 3GB or without?

#138 tummy ooh aah

tummy ooh aah

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:17

With the 3GB fix. In fact without LAA the game gives me (upon launch) Error Code 51 - "Dreamfall Chapters failed to start" (from Steam).

BTW, loading Propast still isn't totally stable for me but it's workable. I tried again today and it still crashed repeatedly (as in the application just closes, with no error message) both from trying to load Propast from the start menu and leaving Zelenka's office. However, loading it from within the game (at another save state) allows it to work.

• Crowboy and Pawlo_86 like this

#139 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:29

The "Error code 51" is a Steam error, and can occur for different reasons.

There's a section for it in the FAQ

Thanks for the report. We are still looking into reducing the memory usage within Europolis as much as we can. :)

• agirlnamedbob, Crowboy and tummy ooh aah like this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users