148 replies to this topic

#101 Kamitto

Kamitto

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 00:06

Okay so I had the time to try this again by now. Loading the save file led me to a crash. Starting a new game and letting the opening cinematics run until I can control Zoe, then pressing escape and loading the file where I am in Europolis seems to prevent the game from crashing though. It's not perfect but at least you can play the game this way.

I can also confim that this works. It got me past the exchange with Nela, but then the game froze again while loading Reza's office. Because there is no autosave between Nela and Reza, I can't even use this trick a second time to keep playing. I'm stuck…again.

#102 aaroncarney

aaroncarney

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGrimsby

Posted 28 October 2014 - 00:44

I've just tried this and unfortunately it didn't work for me. Crashes just after Nela has had the conversation with the police. Only managed to have exchange with Nela once and that time it crashed almost immediately afterwards. I wish there was some kind of save feature that saves exactly the point i'm at!

#103 Man in Black

Man in Black

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 28 October 2014 - 03:54

I'm playing on an MacBook Air and I also had these crashes last night. It seems to be the same problem everybody else is having. I could play fine the first time reaching Europolis, then I saved and when I reloaded the game kept crashing.

HOWEVER:

I wanted to report some bugs I noticed today one of which was the (already known) black boxes. I started a new game, took some screenshots and then wanted to crash in Europolis again in order to get a system report I could post. So I loaded my save file in Europolis, but the game didn't crash anymore. I was able to move around just fine and reached Reza. At that point I saved the game and quit. I assume something is loaded in the beginning of the game that prevents the crashes from happening, but is not loaded when you load a saved game? Maybe? I sadly have no time to try this again right now, but if it works as a workaround, people could at least play the game this way… 

It also worked for me. I've been playing for one hour with no crashes, entering and exiting buildings, getting some tasks done around Europolis... No problem at all. I ended exiting and saving.

For those of you who are still stuck at the exit of Zelenka's office, you may try also to load the previous autosave and the exit again to Europolis. That did the trick for me until I tried to enter The Hand that Feeds building (albeit I tried to do it again and the game froze just after exiting, as usual).

It seems loading previous saves, or starting a new game and then loading the last save can, at least sometimes, prevent crashes. No idea of why it could be, but... sometimes it works when nothing else does. I hope this "experiments" could help to fix the problem.

#104 alanQuatermain

alanQuatermain

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:20

One thing that occurs to me: are any of you folks using File Vault? How about those who crash immediately following the intro video?

#105 Kamitto

Kamitto

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:38

Started a new game, skipped first cut scene, and hit ESC as soon as that child priest's face came up. Loaded my game in Europolis, and this time was able to enter The Hand That Feeds without crashing. However, I could not interact with Reza at all. I clicked the gear over and over, but nothing happened. I could examine the Terminal and Sully with no problem.

On a side note, I got some limited functionality out of a PS3 DualShock controller. Could move around, move the camera, and interact using, of all things, the PS button. Doesn't seem to be any way to remap the buttons, though.

#106 MichaelH

MichaelH

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1018 posts
  • LocationBremen, Germany

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:18

One thing that occurs to me: are any of you folks using File Vault? How about those who crash immediately following the intro video?

No, I'm not using that.

#107 Eve Neimanta

Eve Neimanta

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:31

Joining in on the 'Me too!' bandwagon of Mac users. Running on a 2013 Macbook Pro with Retina display - I get crashes during and before the title screen, crashes at various points in the game itself - first time when trying to catch the dreamer in Storytime, then again when helping the dreamer with the fear of darkness, once more in Friar's Keep, and now it's repeatedly crashing outside the therapist's building in Europolis when I try to talk to the lady with the food cart  Also can report seeing the small black boxes appearing during animation sequences.

Would be great to know if any of these issues will be fixed in the upcoming patch or soon thereafter, because at the moment I feel like the game is unplayable on Mac.

#108 Vyse

Vyse

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:30

Started a new game, skipped first cut scene, and hit ESC as soon as that child priest's face came up. Loaded my game in Europolis, and this time was able to enter The Hand That Feeds without crashing. However, I could not interact with Reza at all. I clicked the gear over and over, but nothing happened. I could examine the Terminal and Sully with no problem.

On a side note, I got some limited functionality out of a PS3 DualShock controller. Could move around, move the camera, and interact using, of all things, the PS button. Doesn't seem to be any way to remap the buttons, though.

That sounds like yet another issue...
The only thing I can still recommend to you is to let everything run without skipping until you can control Zoe, then hit escape and load your actual save. That's the way it worked for me at least. I doubt it will help you with the Reza problem though. As I said, that is probably a different bug that has nothing to do with the crashing in Europolis.

#109 Swan

Swan

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 28 October 2014 - 13:08

Would be great to know if any of these issues will be fixed in the upcoming patch or soon thereafter, because at the moment I feel like the game is unplayable on Mac.

It pretty much is. Are you running Yosemite? Contrary to what I said earlier I think Yosemite is at least partly to blame. I've been getting weird crashes with other applications too that worked just fine with Mavericks. A quick google search reveals that Yosemite seems to be causing a lot if issues, e.g. http://www.macobserv...ing-this-column

Not surprising really, it's not the first time that an Apple OS upgrade is causing issues.

#110 Eve Neimanta

Eve Neimanta

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationLondon, United Kingdom

Posted 28 October 2014 - 13:13

Yeah, I just upgraded last week. Bad luck! But I guess (trying to find the silver lining) once these bugs do get fixed the game should work well on Mac.. at least until the next OS upgrade. :)

#111 giom

giom

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 15:45

I'm using Yosemite with Filevault on a macbook pro retina 15 inch 2013 16GB ram and Geforce GT 750M. Yosemite was installed last week  with a clean installation (not an upgrade). 

The game is unplayable once I leave Zelenka's office. There are weird artefacts that look like Lens Flare. Whenever I go near the map, the game crashes. If I press escape the game crashes.

I've tried playing previous save games, downloading the game from Gog instead, changed the resolution to the minimum (1440x900), tried the different SSAO settings but nothing worked. I have gfxcardstatus on set to discrete only.

At one point, I couldn't get past the intro screen no matter what I did but restarting the system fixed that.

I'm looking forward to a patch but for now the games i just completely unplayable and I'm not going to waste anymore time except if a dev request some logs to diagnose the problem.

#112 Eric Hsu

Eric Hsu

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:37

Kind of bummed. My game is also hanging right on launch. Humble Bundle, Mac OS 10.9.5, Mac Pro Late 2013.  I can't play the game at all. This is both the old Humble Bundle version and the new one just posted on 10-28. 

I'm just pretending that the game isn't released yet, and I'm hoping RTG will get the Mac game going. 

• GenTurgidson likes this

#113 MichaelH

MichaelH

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1018 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:47

Eric, we're all hoping the next patch will fix that problem. RTG started testing the patch yesterday. With luck it could go live on Steam today. Humble and Gog usually need a little longer to offer the updates.
  • Eric Hsu likes this

#114 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:52

From RTGs latest comments on Steam (http://steamcommunit...osthistory/?p=1), they say the patch will "go through all test cycles today". So yes, could go live today but likely not until late afternoon/evening. And they are addressing the Mac issues, at least.

And they also mention that Humble/GoG versions will probably be a day after Steam (although Humble seems to be unavailable during weekends, from some previous comments and experiences, so hopefully the Steam patch goes live before Friday)
  • khh and Swan like this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#115 Halonk

Halonk

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 13:59

To continue from my former post:

No, it didn't help, adding 8 GB of memory was no use whatsoever, the game crashes everytime I get my hope up.

Everything else loads much faster, though, and must be considered a bonus :)

I read there is a patch one of these days, so I will continue playing the waiting game ;)

Until further

Keep your hope, faith and harmony up! Contrary to common belief, there is good in the world. If we stay united and work for love and all matters good, the balance will be level and maintained!

• Morten likes this

#116 MichaelH

MichaelH

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1018 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 20:59

Looks like we'll get the patch soon. If it goes live on Steam today, GOG and Humble will hopefully be able to release it tomorrow. http://steamcommunit...940477708200968
  • Tina likes this

#117 GenTurgidson

GenTurgidson

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 22:06

Just got the patch, game loaded and been running around Europolis for 15 minutes so far! Looking good!   :)

Thanks for the hard work RTG!

• Tina and agirlnamedbob like this

#118 MichaelH

MichaelH

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1018 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 22:17

Yep, the patch is live and the game no longer crashes after the intro. The awesome setting seems to be missing now, but I can run it at 2560x1440 with high quality.

• Tina and agirlnamedbob like this

#119 Kamitto

Kamitto

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 22:29

GenTurgidson and MichaelH, are you both using Steam?

#120 werpu

werpu

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 22:29

The patch also resolved the crashing for me. Thanks RTG.

• Tina likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bugs, OS X, Crash, Dreamfall Chapters, DFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users