148 replies to this topic

#81 GenTurgidson

GenTurgidson

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 14:36

Tried restarting the machine just to make sure there was nothing to do with something weird like memory fragmentation… same issue as above. In any case, if it is of any help I do have Xcode installed; could this be used to try and debug the problem?

#82 dreamer009

dreamer009

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 15:32

Oh my god,and i payed 18$ for this.For this unplayable game code.I don't even remember such game which has some many bugs.Crash after skipping into,changing settings,during "playing the exact game"....if there are so many issues why did you release it?!Its too much problems that you couldn't mention them.It's a same guys

#83 ct2651

ct2651

Harbinger of the Balance

• Istrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2117 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 17:56

The thing I remember was that they were suppose to get the game out in november, maybe it would have been a good idea for de bug, crashes and framerate issue we get now XD...

#84 MrLyle

MrLyle

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 18:24

I really hope they release a patch for those of us who downloaded the game from Humble. I really don't feel like redownloading the entire 3 gigs.

• Kamitto and hydroid like this

#85 GenTurgidson

GenTurgidson

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 19:13

I guess I'd just mention that I upgraded to Yosemite and still getting crashes. Not hanging now, instead it crashes straight to the Desktop and brings up a standard "Report to Apple" dialog. It's also usually on transitions, but a few times it also crashed also just running around Europolis.

• DraicDreamer and hydroid like this

#86 Kamitto

Kamitto

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 00:04

In general, framerate has been slow, but manageable. But the new problem is that the game freezes every time I try to talk to Nela outside of the therapist's office in Europolis. My specs are below.

MacBook Pro (Mid-2010)

Processor  2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory  4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB

Operating System OSX 10.9.2 Mavericks

Game Version Humble; Latest Download

Graphics Settings Low, Anti-Aliasing Off, 1280x720 Resolution

#87 Carla

Carla

Harbinger of the Balance

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2279 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:36

I guess this is where I would put another defect found.  

Spoiler
 Then it just crashed to desktop.  This is my third play-through of the game and the first time I've had the game crash.

#88 vbtwo

vbtwo

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:09

I have the same issue like a lot of people. It crashes when exiting the therapist's office. It once loaded up the city and was playing the cutscene, but crashed in the middle of it. Now it just crashes every single time I try to leave the office at the loading screen. I tried all different settings with windowed and full-screen, nothing helps. Hope there's a fix soon.

#89 MichaelH

MichaelH

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1018 posts
  • LocationBremen, Germany

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:17

I guess I'd just mention that I upgraded to Yosemite and still getting crashes. Not hanging now, instead it crashes straight to the Desktop and brings up a standard "Report to Apple" dialog. It's also usually on transitions, but a few times it also crashed also just running around Europolis.

Yeah, it doesn't seem to work with Yosemite at all right now. Everyone in this thread who has the game crashing after the intro seems to be on Yosemite. I can't really blame RTG for that as Yosemite was released a few days before DFC.
There's a patch planned for this week. Hopefully that will fix this problem.

#90 Swan

Swan

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:55

Everyone in this thread who has the game crashing after the intro seems to be on Yosemite. I can't really blame RTG for that as Yosemite was released a few days before DFC.

A couple of Mavericks users have reported similar crashes as well, so it's not exclusive to Yosemite. Even if it were, Yosemite developer builds have been available for some time so there would have been plenty of time to test it.

#91 MichaelH

MichaelH

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1018 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:33

As far as I can see the crashes right after the intro were only reported by Yosemite users. Other crashes mentioned in this thread affect Mavericks users, though.

And yes, there were beta versions of Yosemite available. It's possible that Apple changed something in the final build that caused the problem, though. Something similar happened with iOS 8. Or maybe RTG never tested on Yosemite. They are a very small team after all. And the final version that was released was only tested for a few hours because they found severe bugs in the release candidate. But it's weird that RTG didn't catch the Mac problems because Ragnar is a Mac user.

In hindsight it would probably have been better to delay the release to allow for further testing. Better to have people complaining about a delay than about a crashing game.

#92 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:36

In hindsight it would probably have been better to delay the release to allow for further testing. Better to have people complaining about a delay than about a crashing game.

Yeah, I've thought about this as well. But then, hindsight is 20/20. And even if they had done that, there would still have been problems at launch. Being a small studio like they are, there are limits to the range of hardware they have available for Q&A.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#93 MichaelH

MichaelH

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1018 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:28

Yeah, I've thought about this as well. But then, hindsight is 20/20. And even if they had done that, there would still have been problems at launch. Being a small studio like they are, there are limits to the range of hardware they have available for Q&A.

Exactly, that's why I'm not mad at them. I've seen AAA titles with as many or more problems and they have much better options for QA than a small indie studio.
  • khh and GenTurgidson like this

#94 Swan

Swan

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:08

Exactly, that's why I'm not mad at them. I've seen AAA titles with as many or more problems and they have much better options for QA than a small indie studio.

The problems are still pretty bad though. As a backer I don't really mind since I know the Kickstarter history of the game's development and it's the first game of a new studio. What I do worry about is the reaction of the people who've actually bought the game at release and gotten an unfinished product on their hands. Hopefully it won't hurt sales and create long term problems that way. Gamers tend to remember buggy game releases for a long time.

• GenTurgidson and aaroncarney like this

#95 MichaelH

MichaelH

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1018 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:14

Yes, I agree with that. A buggy game leaves a bad first impression. Hopefully the quality of the game, once the bugs are ironed out, will lead to a better final impression.
  • Swan likes this

#96 Vyse

Vyse

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:17

I'm playing on an MacBook Air and I also had these crashes last night. It seems to be the same problem everybody else is having. I could play fine the first time reaching Europolis, then I saved and when I reloaded the game kept crashing.

HOWEVER:

I wanted to report some bugs I noticed today one of which was the (already known) black boxes. I started a new game, took some screenshots and then wanted to crash in Europolis again in order to get a system report I could post. So I loaded my save file in Europolis, but the game didn't crash anymore. I was able to move around just fine and reached Reza. At that point I saved the game and quit. I assume something is loaded in the beginning of the game that prevents the crashes from happening, but is not loaded when you load a saved game? Maybe? I sadly have no time to try this again right now, but if it works as a workaround, people could at least play the game this way… 

• Man in Black likes this

#97 GenTurgidson

GenTurgidson

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 13:17

I assume something is loaded in the beginning of the game that prevents the crashes from happening, but is not loaded when you load a saved game? Maybe?

It does seem that way; my initial playthrough (after setting quality down to "medium") was crash-free until after the workshop (so plenty of transitions and running around in Europolis). It was after loading a saved game that it became an issue.

#98 Vyse

Vyse

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 October 2014 - 15:51

Okay so I had the time to try this again by now. Loading the save file led me to a crash. Starting a new game and letting the opening cinematics run until I can control Zoe, then pressing escape and loading the file where I am in Europolis seems to prevent the game from crashing though. It's not perfect but at least you can play the game this way.

• Kamitto and GenTurgidson like this

#99 aaroncarney

aaroncarney

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGrimsby

Posted 27 October 2014 - 21:34

Is it just me that has this bad feeling that after this patch is released, not much would have improved?

I have quite a new Macbook Pro (July) and since i've had it i've been playing games such as:

Bioshock Infinite (High Settings)

Dues Ex: Human Revolution (Medium - High settings)

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (Low settings)

Portal 2 (Highest settings)

the Batman Arkham games (Highest settings)

I know Dreamfall Chapters is a pretty good looking game but should it be straining all of our computers like this? Still haven't been able to complete it yet due to the crashes since release. Frustrating. Might try Vyse's suggestion.

Heres my list of things I hope RTG sort out before the release of Book 2 from top priority to lowest.

Crashing.

Laggy cutscenes (even if it means having the option to reduce effects)

Graphical glitches and bugs. (black squares)

Resolution bug. (I cannot change mine, and i've heard the same from other players. Seems to be an OS X Yosemite problem as I can do this when I run the game in windows, however playing the game in parellels desktop makes it run slow)

Lip syncing. (minor, but it's a little off putting when the lips just don't match the voices whatsoever)

#100 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 October 2014 - 22:41

@ aaroncarney - The last patch was a graphical patch, from what I understand. There is a performance patch coming sometime this week that should hopefully help sort some of these issues. 

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bugs, OS X, Crash, Dreamfall Chapters, DFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users