#61 Ringtail

Ringtail

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1328 posts
  • LocationRockville, MD, USA

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:20

As a long admirer of the series I'd like to contribute to this thread.  I've been struggling with crashes and poor performance with my Mid 2012 Macbook Pro since attempting to play DFC.   I've set my graphics card to discrete using gfxCardStatus and cleared up as much memory as possible using Memory Diag.  This didn't seem to help.  Whenever I'd hit ESC my game would immediately crash to the desktop.  I just tried setting SSAO to Medium (was previously turned off) and suddenly the game is no longer crashing.  I have no idea why but I hope this information can help speed up the optimization of this great series!  Thank you for continuing this series.  It has been a part of my life since I was a kid.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

2.6 GHz Intel Core i7

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

I patched today, and used the SSAO setting Webby mentioned in this post. It worked for me, too -- was now able to pass through doors (Hand that Feeds, work, home) without provoking an "Application Not Responding" hang anymore.

Not sure what voodoo this was, but it definitely fixed the problem for me.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! :) :) :)

• agirlnamedbob, khh and Webby like this

#62 pagerunner

pagerunner

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:15

Did NOT work for me. It just slowed things further, and I toggled it back off. Shortly thereafter, I got another crash in Europolis -- fittingly, after I couldn't maneuver Zoe properly because the game was chugging along too badly, and she ran smack into a post. ;)

(note to self: do not walk into posts)

Attached Files

#63 Halonk

Halonk

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:09

Greetings All! :)

Did try all of the above, tweaked and tried again, but no improvement.

The game seem to flow better if you play from the beginning without pause and crashes only after starting a saved game.

I have now given up Chapters until there is a fix.

I guess there is a few guys in Oslo OD'ing on caffeine and developing headaches.

I've been waiting for DC for such a long time and have no problems waiting a bit longer, from what I've seen it's well worth waiting for :).

Frustrating, though, just being able to continue the saga and then experience all those crashes - Argh!

I got dozens of crash reports, just in case someone care to have a look at them, but need some advise on how to transfer safely.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), 3,2 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB.

Until further........

#64 themutiny

themutiny

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 13:16

Could you post a little more info on this? Do you get an error message, or does nothing happen?

I get to the loading screen, then the app stops responding. I can get it to load if I persist, but then it just crashes again. I'm rather frustrated.

#65 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 October 2014 - 13:20

I get to the loading screen, then the app stops responding. I can get it to load if I persist, but then it just crashes again. I'm rather frustrated.

I can understand that. Unfortunately there's not a great deal we can do to help. It seems that this problem will have to be fixed in a patch.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#66 Halonk

Halonk

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 13:22

Okay........

That strange file got downloaded in steam and I tried playing again. Crashed immediately! Then tried to continue in window and I was able to play for a while. Was at "The Hand That Feeds" and further on to the workshop. When trying to exit the shop with "Shitbot" in tow, lo and behold - it crashed again! There is something strange going on, because while the game was running I paused and maxed the visuals and the game continued without hitch. It is on scene change and at cut scenes it happens, irritating!

#67 Mos

Mos

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 15:28

I'm also still crashing (post-patch) after the psychologist's office. I understand that Red Thread is a small studio, but I'm disappointed I still can't play the game. Seems like the patch had no impact on general performance for me.

#68 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 16:51

The game runs strangely on Mac. One moment it's running perfect, no problems at all. Actually I played the game perfectly up until Metropolis then like others right outside the therapist office it dies. 

I'm in a similar boat as the rest of you. I will try the patch. Is there a patch, where can I get one? Sorry I'm studying for exams, shouldn't be trying to get video games to work on  my mac. Thanks.

#69 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 October 2014 - 17:03

I'm in a similar boat as the rest of you. I will try the patch. Is there a patch, where can I get one? Sorry I'm studying for exams, studying be trying to get video games to work on  my mac. Thanks.

If you're using steam it should have already come in, but it was mostly for fixing visual bugs and shader glitches. There is a patching coming next week to all platforms which focuses on crashes and performance, I believe.

• yodagreen3 likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#70 Halonk

Halonk

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 17:09

Greetings All.......

I suspect that file I got downloaded in Steam was something not related to the problem whatsoever, maybe something to do with "Achievements" or with Steam. I could not see any indication of this file being a patch or fix for the DC problem.

Take the weekend off and wait until next week sometime, those guys have been, and still probably is, working their ass off. I'm sure there will be a solution in the near future and as I've been waiting for so long I can wait a bit longer.

Give them some R&R and come back stronger. Nagging won't help, leave them to it and it will all be all right, give them the time needed to find a solution.                 

This is a game well worth waiting for.

Have a beer tonight instead!

#71 yodagreen3

yodagreen3

Vestrum Crier

• PipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 17:28

Greetings All.......

I suspect that file I got downloaded in Steam was something not related to the problem whatsoever, maybe something to do with "Achievements" or with Steam. I could not see any indication of this file being a patch or fix for the DC problem.

Take the weekend off and wait until next week sometime, those guys have been, and still probably is, working their ass off. I'm sure there will be a solution in the near future and as I've been waiting for so long I can wait a bit longer.

Give them some R&R and come back stronger. Nagging won't help, leave them to it and it will all be all right, give them the time needed to find a solution.                 

This is a game well worth waiting for.

Have a beer tonight instead!

To be honest I'm a cheap bastard. I hate wasting money.  I was extremely excited for this game. Now that I've begun to play it , I'm honestly sold. I might not be able to play it any time soon but it's a beautiful game so far with a deep and emotional story. It has been a very gripping experience so far. They are really dilivering. I'm willing to wait to see if there's a solution. On the other hand I worry that there might not be one. The game runs without flaw on my macbook. Though my macbook is a few years old and I'm running this game on the lowest possible settings that the game menus allow for... The game runs beautifully and I was really starting to enjoy myself, the game crashes immediately at Europolis.

I would love to play more of the game. I'm not going to complain, but if it is a bug, I really hope it's worked out. If my computer is simply not up to the challenge then I'll just have to wait.. :(  Regardless I think this game is a masterpiece and I will one day be able to enjoy it. I love TLJ series I have deep and profound fandom for it. Not the text book type maybe I play them once over, love the experience but I don't have TLJ encyclopedia on a shelf next to me. I simply enjoy the series very much.

I have no hard feelings, even as a cheap bastrad, paying 30 dollars for this game. I just hope that one day I'll be able to finish it. Until then there are woes but I'll manage. I wish I could give a complete review for book one but that might be a while. Projects like this rarely go out without problems so I was expecting a few problems at the start. Hopefully they can be worked out, hopefully my computer is up to this game.

• khh likes this

#72 Swan

Swan

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 25 October 2014 - 21:25

Similar issues here. Game crashes randomly in Europolis and every time I try to enter the Hand That Feeds office, which basically means I can't progress in the game any further.

Rig:

Macbook Pro late 2013

Intel Core i5 2,4 Ghz

Intel Iris

OSX Yosemite

Lag issues are pretty bad as well, I can only run the game in the lowest visual settings which renders Europolis playable, but still pretty slow.

#73 Halonk

Halonk

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 21:56

I have a strong feeling that RTG (nearly) know the cause of the problem, but there will probably take a while to work it through and release a fix. RTG, as mentioned before, is a small company and limited crew resources will probably delay the fix. That being said, I am damned sure positive they will be releasing a fix. I know Norwegian work ethics and the honesty this nation stands for, RTG will deliver accordingly. Give them time, they are probably working hard at it this here writing moment. Have faith and pray this won't break them :)

And a large snifter of Cognac for medical purposes ;)

#74 Krellzar

Krellzar

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 23:48

I consider myself super lucky, since I got the crashing fixed! 

My initial problem was that the game would crash when I entered Europolis.
I have a mid 2013 macbook pro retina, and I was running Maverick when it crashed. Today I updated to Yosemite, which fixed the crashing, and I was able to complete the game, only with some minor glitches :)

I don't know if had also something to do with that I didn't load the game from after the conversation with the psychiatrist, but before it. So them had been running for a bit before I tried Europolis.
My settings were: low quality, windowed, no ssao. 
When I succesfully entered Europolis i switched to full screen and it worked just fine :)

I don't know if this can help any of you others with the same problem, but I really hoped so. This game is so amazing! Really pushing the boundaries of what games can do with storytelling, and it has one of the most compelling universes I have ever experienced. I just wanted to walk around and be in that world forever.. Looking forward to next book :) Thanks RTG!

#75 alanQuatermain

alanQuatermain

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:17

Just to add my own data to this:

I'm using a top of the line retina MBP with 16GB RAM, running Yosemite. I've set game resolution to 1440x900, no AA, but everything else cranked up. I've also set the machine to always use the discrete graphics card. I get the crash immediately after the intro movie.

Interestingly, the crash occurs in the Intel 5000-series GL driver. This is interesting because OS X, at least, is supposed to be using only the nVidia chip now. OpenGL games may be able to circumvent that choice, however, although I'd have expected that a game would, upon finding two devices, pick the one with the broadest OpenGL feature support. Then again, this appears to be using the Mono runtime, so perhaps if the game was written to Direct3D and Mono is translating, maybe Mono is the culprit there?

Anyway, I'm going to try a few things here to see if I can't figure it out. If all else fails I might see if I can shut off the integrated graphics altogether, though I'm not sure how easy that is any more.

#76 Halonk

Halonk

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:34

I'm glad to see that some people can work their way through the game without more glitches but there are people who still have problems with crashes.

I've been using Yosemite since Beta 1 and updated to full version.

I have tried all of the above, set all graphic settings down to "Dismal", no SSAO and running the game in a small window (1600X900) but the game still crashes when trying to exit the workshop.

The Balance is Disrupted!

Whether I use the low settings or everything set to high and awesome with 2880X1440, there is no difference.

From continuing a saved game and subsequentally reaching a scene change or new cut-scene the game will crash, period!

I don't have the time or passion to plow through the entire game from start in one session, which seem to work - I have a life to live.

Using an iMac I cannot find a way to use  discrete graphics. In fact doing graphics changes at all is out of question, it's all in the lap of g... ehh, Apple!

I have avoided crossing paths with black cats, I've walked around raised ladders, been throwing salt over my shoulder and avoided pork.

My software skills are Nil, so this is out of my limited powers to fix.

Therefore i will use the rest of the day nursing a slight hangover.

In case somebody from RTG reads this, is there any progress or should we just leave it be for a while longer until there is a fix ready?

I still have the faith in a ready solution being developed :)

#77 Etanrok

Etanrok

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationSandnes - Norway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 13:36

Starts game through steam, pixels and artefacts,

mid 2011

2,7 GHz Intel Core i5

4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB

Edit: tried both before and after installing yosemite

sad panda

#78 GenTurgidson

GenTurgidson

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 13:57

I'll just add my sad "happens to me too" note.

Spoiler

Or if I load the previous save and play up to that point then it hangs just when the first dialog choice is about to come up. Very weird, as I played a little past this point before, and when trying to resume today… no luck (there was a Steam update before restarting play today… could it have created problems with save games?)

MacBook Pro 17", "Late 2011"

2.4 GHz Intel Core i7

16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

AMD Radeon HD 6770M 1024 MB

OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks)

On my first playthrough had to reduce to "Medium" quality or the game wouldn't start.

#79 Halonk

Halonk

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 14:18

OK,

I checked the memory performance with the "Memory Clean" app.

There was about 15% RAM free during game-play decreasing to 0% during change of scene, running the game in a window with low settings. The game crashed just after 0% RAM.

This mac has 8GB of memory installed and enough RAM according to game spec. This, apparently, isn't the fact in my case.

Desperate as I am I have ordered 8 more GB's of RAM in the faint hope this will help. Taken the 100 $+ expenses, this game cost me plenty moolah but probably gives the iMac a little boost when running heavy applications.

The balance just toppled........

Patience, patience, I really want to see this girl through the first chapter...........................

#80 Swan

Swan

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 26 October 2014 - 14:23

Wow this is frustrating. I just can't get into the Hand That Feeds office, crash rate is 100%. 

I guess we'll just have to wait for a patch that fixes Mac issues. I just so very very much want to play this game right now.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Bugs, OS X, Crash, Dreamfall Chapters, DFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users