• Please log in to reply
93 replies to this topic

#81 midix

midix

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:35

Well, if you compare Dreamfall Chapters to another Kickstarter funded game called Civitas - who even remember that? - then RTG team behaves SO much better - they at least are giving updates often enough to keep us itching and scratching (whatever it means for each of us personally)   :D  Civitas developers just showed an alpha and soon disappeared forever. And remember recent epic fail of EA with their SimCity launch... RTG is struggling, but we see them trying.

Nevertheless, I agree, torrent would be great.

#82 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts
  • LocationRenton, WA, USA

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:35

I think you're getting a bit extreme now. Yes, as I said the lack of communication is disappointing but no need to use the f word. Also, you are aware that the torrent file has nothing to do with RTG but HB and that torrent is a web seed of the DL file from their (HB) server? Just saying.

Well, it's not the .torrent file itself, it's the .zip file which is available for direct download and via torrent at Humble Bundle. Said .zip file is 1.3GB and it's well-established that it's an incomplete file. This never would have happened if RTG had realized that zipping up the install file(s) is pointless when creating a .torrent file. Just make a .torrent of the install file(s). Every torrent client that's worth its weight has a built-in hash-checker. And you're right, yet wrong at the same time. I've been more than patient up until now, but after all these days everyone has their limit and this here is mine. It's the lack of communication that really irks me. Also getting drunk on ice ale, because getting drunk and not having to take responsibility for my actions is always a plus (or however Crow put it). At least I haven't lost my sense of humor.

#83 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:44

I would like to point out that, for the record, as pissed (as Brits mean it) and pissed (as Yanks mean it) as I am, it's just frustration is all. I love both RTG and the community here as family and nothing could ever change that no matter what.

• Riaise and Mr Moo like this

#84 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:46

Guys this is first release of the game from RTG so it can be not perfected. They will learn a lot from Book 1 issues and i hope so that other books will release without problems.

• Mr Moo likes this

#85 bongboy

bongboy

Vestrum Herald

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1710 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:48

Well, if you compare Dreamfall Chapters to another Kickstarter funded game called Civitas - who even remember that? - then RTG team behaves SO much better - they at least are giving updates often enough to keep us itching and scratching (whatever it means for each of us personally)   :D  Civitas developers just showed an alpha and soon disappeared forever. And remember recent epic fail of EA with their SimCity launch... RTG is struggling, but we see them trying.

Nevertheless, I agree, torrent would be great.

Well, they sound like straight-up grifters like Joseph Smith, who was convicted multiple times of grifting and was also the founder of the cult of Mormon... you know, I've always wondered what that second "m" is doing in the word "mormon". It doesn't seem to belong there at all.

• Mr Moo likes this

#86 JuiceForTheSoul

JuiceForTheSoul

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:01

but after all these days everyone has their limit and this here is mine.

I hope there are no guns neaby. A Dreamfall-inspired killing spree could be on the cards.

Best not to post when you're drunk and wishful for an angry outburst. Like you I've waited 8 years for this and am somewhat irked at having to postpone my wait beyond the promised point of delivery. However, try and apply some calming philosophy to your frayed nerves. What is one day in 8 years? It's 1/3000th. Were you as angry for the other 3000 days? I hope not.

Chill.

• DiskJunky likes this

#87 Shift

Shift

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:03

Well, it's not the .torrent file itself, it's the .zip file which is available for direct download and via torrent at Humble Bundle. Said .zip file is 1.3GB and it's well-established that it's an incomplete file. This never would have happened if RTG had realized that zipping up the install file(s) is pointless when creating a .torrent file. Just make a .torrent of the install file(s). Every torrent client that's worth its weight has a built-in hash-checker. And you're right, yet wrong at the same time. I've been more than patient up until now, but after all these days everyone has their limit and this here is mine. It's the lack of communication that really irks me. Also getting drunk on ice ale, because getting drunk and not having to take responsibility for my actions is always a plus (or however Crow put it). At least I haven't lost my sense of humor.

RTG weren't trying to create a .torrent file, they were trying to create a file for direct download that Humble Bundle just so happens to serve as a torrent. It's possible the problem is something on Humble Bundle's end rather than something RTG screwed up, or a combination of the two. That would certainly explain how long it's taking.

#88 VikMorroHun

VikMorroHun

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 16:51

This is disappointing, but exactly what I expected. The download should be an absolute minimum of 2.27GB, but probably closer to 3GB. I guess we have to wait for the RTG staff to come into work before we can download, install and play the Windows version of the game... unless we decide to relegate ourselves to that horrible abomination Steam.

Strange, but my Dreamfall Chapters directory is now 4.9 GB. I remember downloading approx. 3 GB around 1:30 today. Btw could you please clarify why do you think Steam is a horrible abomination? I've been using it for four years now (minus a week) and I didn't find any drawbacks in this time period. I did find several advantages however.

#89 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 16:54

Btw could you please clarify why do you think Steam is a horrible abomination? I've been using it for four years now (minus a week) and I didn't find any drawbacks in this time period. I did find several advantages however.

Could we not get into that discussion here please? His reasons for not using Steam are his own.

Find your answers elsewhere. Say, here.
  • Tina likes this

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#90 VikMorroHun

VikMorroHun

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 16:59

Could we not get into that discussion here please? His reasons for not using Steam are his own.

Find your answers elsewhere. Say, here.

Thanks. Useful link. Although none of these claims are from a gamers perspective and I'm a gamer who likes to play games.

#91 Vainamoinen

Vainamoinen

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6159 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 17:00

No, sorry, just facts.

Hey Ubisoft, you can keep your "seamless vast online GTA in space" to yourselves. Signed, one of the greatest Beyond Good & Evil fans alive.

#92 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7118 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 October 2014 - 19:32

Strange, but my Dreamfall Chapters directory is now 4.9 GB. I remember downloading approx. 3 GB around 1:30 today. Btw could you please clarify why do you think Steam is a horrible abomination? I've been using it for four years now (minus a week) and I didn't find any drawbacks in this time period. I did find several advantages however.

The data you download from steam (and gog, and humble, and everywhere else) is compressed, so it takes up more space on the disk than what you have to download.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#93 Tasario

Tasario

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 21:33

Just wanted to say that I successfully created a Humble account and was able to restore the game in the libray.

Linking it with steam was very slow but in the end worked out very well. :)

Now I am downloading and waiting to start playing it. Keep fingers crossed that it will launch smoothly.

Tasario

• popcorngal, khh and Mr Moo like this

#94 Swan

Swan

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:19

This whole release hubbub has been an interesting discussion to follow.  :) Luckily (or not, depending) I wouldn't have had the time to play the game right from release so there hasn't been much stress about getting a working build etc. And really, after years of waiting a bit more doesn't  make any difference.

Anyway, I got my GOG key (thanks for an incredibly fast response!) and now I'm listening to TLJ soundtrack at work to get in the mood. Hopefully I'll get to have a go at Chapters this evening.

Can't have been an easy couple of days for RTG staff. Keep up the good work!

• Tina, popcorngal, khh and 1 other like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users