Photo

(old) Bug Reports (make new threads instead)

• Please log in to reply
363 replies to this topic

#361 Oktalist

Oktalist

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 March 2015 - 17:08

this is not to mistake for a bug. Shadow Distance == 0 means no shadows at all

But "no shadows" doesn't mean "no non-ambient light".

"No shadows" just means that non-ambient light which shines on an object also shines on whatever's behind the object.

Attached File  shadow.png   14.21KB   1 downloads

#362 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 20 March 2015 - 21:28

But "no shadows" doesn't mean "no non-ambient light".

"No shadows" just means that non-ambient light which shines on an object also shines on whatever's behind the object.

Light points make light (duh), which, when cast on objects throw shadows where no or less light hits. With shadow distance 0m, the light is cast 0m, casting shadows for those 0m. Unless I totally misunderstood something.

#363 Oktalist

Oktalist

Fringe Café Regular

• Istrum
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 March 2015 - 23:29

If "shadow distance" means the distance within which light is cast, then call it "light distance" or something.

I would expect "shadow distance" to mean the distance within which shadows are cast.

Light falling on an object both illuminates the object and casts a shadow behind the object. In computer graphics, it's perfectly possible to have a light illuminate objects without casting shadows behind them. Actually, in terms of GPU load, it's probably easier that way. Maybe it's a limitation of Unity that lights always cast shadows, in which case this "shadow distance" thing might make sense to someone who knows the ins-and-outs of Unity, but it's still expressing it the wrong way around.

Shadows are not light. Shadows are the interruption of light. Light is additive, not subtractive. You start with a dark scene and add lights. You don't start with a white/saturated scene and add shadows, unless you're drawing in charcoal. When you're walking around your home at night, you don't think "I'd better switch on the shadows so I can see where I'm going."

Unless I totally misunderstood something.

I don't think either of us has misunderstood anything.
  • Mr Moo likes this

#364 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 23 March 2015 - 10:52

You're correct in how shadow distance and lights work for games.

I think I forgot to mention that we discovered a bug in the baked lights/lightmaps of the "VentRoom" locations, which is why Zoe appears totally black in those scenes with low shadow distance values. 

She of course shouldn't and we'll have it fixed at some point in the future. :)

• Oktalist likes this

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users