• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 werpu

werpu

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 19:23

Forgot to mention Inhouse streaming means: Server PC, Client MAC.

#22 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 22 October 2014 - 19:45

For anyone having issues using joypads/controllers, please take a look at the following FAQ post: http://redthreadgame...l-chapters-faq/

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#23 Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:41

I've got a generic Xinput controller with the official X360 drivers installed - works fine in other games - but I can't Dreamfall Chapters to detect it at all.

#24 Brainflab

Brainflab

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 20:38

I don't care if the game was late or bugged. I was understanding about the switch to episodic release. I've been supporting the team and all your decisions since the Kickstarter campaign but I'm extremely disappointed with this lack of compatibility. You actually managed to make DFC even worse than Telltale games regarding gamepads. I didn't think it would be possible.

I've spent the last 2 hours try to get my Logitech RumblePad 2 (which is a very common gamepad) to work using X360CE. This tool allows any gamepad to work with games that officially support only the X360 pad. But it doesn't work at all for DFC and here is why :

Incompatible:
  1. Unity Engine titles. Most of these games only utilise xinput to trigger vibration events while all input detection is performed via RawInput. Unfortunately this poses issues as
    1. Controller calibration is ignored via RawInput.
    2. Unity Engine needs to profile every gamepad hardware and its driver for RawInput to actually work with them.

I understand your decision about focusing this gamepad but you did you REALLY have to use the Unity integrated libraries for this ?

In Dreamfall the gamepad compatibility was perfect.

Hell, after spending 525$ and countless hours on the saga I don't even want to play the game atm.

If anyone has a solution I'd love to hear it.

PS : You might wanna remove the "Full controller support" tag from the Steam store page, for obvious reasons.

#25 werpu

werpu

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 22:06

Mhh that the game utilizes rawinput explains why the steam streaming controller detection is not working. Steam provides an xinput driver on the host side to the games.

#26 Brainflab

Brainflab

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 October 2014 - 13:07

My apologies : only the title screen does not recognize the controller. I didn't even go past it as I thought it wasn't working at all.

The controls customization settings allow to assign buttons but

• it's missing a "look" option (it's not possible to reassign the camera look to an axis)
  • same goes for Zoom +/-
  • for some reason reassigning the left click to a button does not work. Is it supposed to be "Interact" ? If so, it's not working for me

But I could make something work using a combination of Logitech Profiler and AutoHotKey

If anyone is interested here is how I did it :

• Used AutoHotKey to macro Alt+P to mouse wheel up and Alt+M into mouse wheel down
  • Used Logitech Profiler to map an axis to mouse axis, a button to mouse left click and two buttons to alt+M and alt+P (as Logitech profiler doesn't like mouse wheel)
  • Used the ingame controls settings for everything else

It seems to work fine :) Been enjoying the first minutes of the game a lot.

Again I'm sorry I didn't check the settings before posting. If you could add/fix the missing options it would be wonderful as I wouldn't have to use third party tools.

• Morten and khh like this

#27 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 25 October 2014 - 13:18

• it's missing a "look" option (it's not possible to reassign the camera look to an axis)
  • same goes for Zoom +/-
  • for some reason reassigning the left click to a button does not work. Is it supposed to be "Interact" ? If so, it's not working for me
  • This is a known issue, but I don't know if RTG are planning on fixing it.
  • On the 360 controller zoom is bound to the triggers. I don't know how this affects non-supported controllers
  • This was mentioned elsewhere by someone - I think it's a bug but I'm not certain

That is all I know on this issue, sorry.

• Tina likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#28 Vyse

Vyse

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 October 2014 - 13:32

I'm playing on an macBook Air and my PS3 controller only partially works. I can use the D-Pad and Analog Sticks to move around in the menus, but all other buttons do not react. (The controller works fine for other games like Mark of the Ninja).
I hope this issue can be addressed once the gamecrashing bugs are fixed since the controls were clearly made with controllers in mind and feel a bit clunky when using WASD and a touchpad…

#29 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 October 2014 - 15:12

The game fully supports XBox 360 and PS4 controllers. What program are you using to map your PS3 controller? Do you have it mapped as a 360 controller?

I know the official line right now is that they support the aforementioned controllers. Other controllers may or may not work.

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#30 Vyse

Vyse

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 October 2014 - 16:06

I do not use any program at all actually. Up until now, my MacBook simply recognized that I hooked up a PS3 controller and allowed me to use it with no trouble. As I said, I played other games just fine this way, but for some reason it doesn't work with Dreamfall Chapters…

#31 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 27 October 2014 - 16:11

That's probably because Chapters doesn't have PS3 controller support. Only PS4.

You can try using a mapping tool to map your PS3 controller as a different controller (360 or PS4) so the game will fully recognize it. I'm not on Mac anymore, so I'm not sure what the best mapper is for Mac. (Anyone else have any suggestions?)

I'm not sure of RTG will be able to add PS3 controller support or not. 

#32 Vyse

Vyse

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 27 October 2014 - 16:35

Well that explains it at least. Thank you for the clarification. I will try to find a mapping tool that works for me and post a link here if I do.

• Tina likes this

#33 Brainflab

Brainflab

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 22:45

• This is a known issue, but I don't know if RTG are planning on fixing it.
  • On the 360 controller zoom is bound to the triggers. I don't know how this affects non-supported controllers
  • This was mentioned elsewhere by someone - I think it's a bug but I'm not certain

That is all I know on this issue, sorry.

Thank you :)

To later posts : yes I think the way the gameplay is made (no cursor on screen, camera mouse look, etc..) makes it easy and viable to map any controller to keyboard and mouse using tools

#34 werpu

werpu

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 11:19

Ok with the 1.1.1 patch Steam inhome streaming now works with the xbox 360 controller thanks RTD for the quick turnaround.

• Mr Moo likes this

#35 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:38

@Vyse, using a PS3 controller with Mac I'd recommend you try to use an Xbox 360 emulator to "cloak" it as an Xbox 360 controller.

As of now, PS3 controllers will probably not work right out of the box, at least not on Mac. 

Sorry for this, but I hope you can solve it by using an emulator :)

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#36 burnsflipper

burnsflipper

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 15:26

I spent about 2 hours trying to get my PS3 controller to work. I have an official PS3 controller wired by USB to my Windows 8.1 PC. DFC didn't detect it using the normal MontionInJoy drivers.

I loaded x360ce and the controller was recognised once I turned off PassThrough mode. In the x360ce GUI my controller worked perfectly - every button I pressed displayed correctly onscreen. But it didn't work in DFC. I found the Select button was the equivalent of the A button, which got me into the menu...and I could navigate up and down the menu using the DPad. In the game, the right stick partially controlled the camera but that was about it.  I've sent off for an official XBOX360 USB controller from Amazon so will hopefully be able to start playing DFC next weekend.

#37 Linki

Linki

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 05:54

I don't know if it's the right topic, there are so many i'm getting lost here...

But i have a HUGE problem bothering me, my controller used to work perfectly and since update it doesn't. I'm so sad i can't play it anymore :/

I used to be able to choose the buttons (now i can't the game won't let me) and combining xpadder it was perfect ! The emulator is useless now it seems to create an incompatibility (can't find the exact word i mean but i hope you get it) with the game... I don't know what happened but i wish it was possible to get it to work like it used to :(

If anyone has a solution...

#38 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 November 2014 - 06:07

Morten might be better able to answer this question than me. I know the patch apparently helped some people get their controllers working, so I'm sorry to hear yours went the other way. 

I'm not sure what they changed with the controller interface. What controller are you using? Does the game not recognize the controller at all? Or are the buttons just not mapped correctly?

Any extra info you can provide might help.

#39 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 05 November 2014 - 10:39

I don't know if it's the right topic, there are so many i'm getting lost here...

But i have a HUGE problem bothering me, my controller used to work perfectly and since update it doesn't. I'm so sad i can't play it anymore :/

I used to be able to choose the buttons (now i can't the game won't let me) and combining xpadder it was perfect ! The emulator is useless now it seems to create an incompatibility (can't find the exact word i mean but i hope you get it) with the game... I don't know what happened but i wish it was possible to get it to work like it used to :(

If anyone has a solution...

The controller/input functionality has not changed since launch except fixing a case where some controllers were not recognized properly if they were not official Xbox controllers (also for Linux).

It seems that what you were able to do before was to trick the game into thinking it's running keyboard/mouse input, while mapping your buttons on your controller using the in-game control-mapping interface (please correct me if I'm wrong about this).

If the above is correct, I suspect that your controller is now correctly picked up and the game switches to "controller input"-mode, which then does not allow you to manually map controller buttons to actions (using default controller-config).

However, if this is the case, you should be able to get it to work correctly by following some of the workarounds listed in the FAQ. As long as the controller is recognized by the Unity-engine in the first place. :)

I hope this helps you with getting your controller working.

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#40 Linki

Linki

Fringe Café Regular

• Vestrum
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 05 November 2014 - 15:38

Thanks for the answers ! I'll look into that right away :)

I don't know exactly what type is my controller, it came along with my internet box (don't ask why), it's definitely unknown by most people lol But it seems Morten is right, it was not recognized before (and now it is but it's a mess). I hope the FAQ helps ^^

• Morten and agirlnamedbob like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users