Photo

Dreamfall Chapters Overworking Graphics Card?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#41 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 13:45

A GPU card should be constructed such that it can never overheat to the point where this causes permanent damage to the card. It should have good enough cooling that it can run at 100% for hours, and it should fail gracefully in the event that the fan is broken.  There are optimizations that can be made to the game, absolutely, but a failing card is a hardware issue.

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#42 LetsBeReal

LetsBeReal

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 14:18

The game is impressive for a Kickstarter game - but yeah there are issues. The overheating is hardly RTGs faulth thou, this is a Unity - Nvida issue.

...seriously?

OF COURSE it's RTG's fault.

You're blaming the engine or drivers? That's like saying "Well the virus that destroyed my computer isn't to blame - but the programming language used to create it".

A GPU card should be constructed such that it can never overheat to the point where this causes permanent damage to the card. It should have good enough cooling that it can run at 100% for hours, and it should fail gracefully in the event that the fan is broken.  There are optimizations that can be made to the game, absolutely, but a failing card is a hardware issue.

I understand you've most likely been told to downplay this whole thing and hope it doesn't blow out of proportion. Please don't take all of us for fools. This is not a hardware issue AT ALL, that much is blatantly obvious.

#43 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 14:30

I understand you've most likely been told to downplay this whole thing and hope it doesn't blow out of proportion. Please don't take all of us for fools. This is not a hardware issue AT ALL, that much is blatantly obvious.

One thing we need to get straight, RTG has NEVER asked us to downplay or censor problems or critique. Everything I've said in this thread are my thoughts and opinions. So, with that out of the way.

In certain parts the game is using more GPU processing power than is needed, this is true. A fix for this is under way. But this is the same way your CPU is put under stress when you encode a video. If your CPU then died of overheating, you wouldn't blame Sony Vegas.

• agirlnamedbob, Lee-m and mpapad1968 like this

April Ryan is my friend,

#44 Reeger

Reeger

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 15:45

Your card was faulty, LetsBeReal

#45 mpapad1968

mpapad1968

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 16:24

...seriously?

OF COURSE it's RTG's fault.

You're blaming the engine or drivers? That's like saying "Well the virus that destroyed my computer isn't to blame - but the programming language used to create it".

I also don't think that the developers are to blame for our cards blowing up.

The drivers are responsible for the well being of the card.

As Nvidia is pushing for more performance from the drivers maybe some security checks are overlooked.

For me Nvidia and ASUS (the maker of the card) are at fault.

I also ordered an Gigabyte GTX970 and I'll test the game with it. If it also blows up I'll be sure to report it here.

#46 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 26 October 2014 - 16:45

I stated this before, but any card that cant regulate its own temperature while working at 100%, its the fault of the card and no one else. I dont care what other games it plays just fine. I'm playing the same game as everyone else, and my nvidia card is just fine.

#47 Reeger

Reeger

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 16:56

Each card has a power limit, voltage limit and temperature limit. These are in place to prevent damage to the card (so if you hit any of these limits, the card will not further boosts the clock speeds and might even throttle them to bring down temperatures).

With these limits there should never be any damage to your card, unless it is faulty in some way (i.e the card cannot self-regulate clocks, or even voltage). It could also be a PSU issue.

At any rate, no it is NEVER a game's fault. Games are supposed to use your hardware to the maximum of their capabilities, and your hardware is supposed to impose limits on itself to prevent damage. Your GPU was faulty, and DFC's high utilization pushed it to the edge. If you happened to run Crysis 3 instead of DFC at the time, the same thing would have probably happened and you'd be over on the Crytek forums right now.

#48 Happy Tree

Happy Tree

Vestrum Herald

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1286 posts
  • LocationTartu, Estonia

Posted 26 October 2014 - 17:49

Is there a card that anyone would recommend works best with this game?

#49 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 26 October 2014 - 17:51

Is there a card that anyone would recommend works best with this game?

I'm not sure it makes too much difference with anything over a 660. nvidia cards seem to have less issues than amd ones, at least for now.

my 980gtx suffers very little slow down/lag, doesnt get overworked at any point... so I can recommend that lol

#50 One Neo

One Neo

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 18:53

I stated this before, but any card that cant regulate its own temperature while working at 100%, its the fault of the card and no one else. I dont care what other games it plays just fine. I'm playing the same game as everyone else, and my nvidia card is just fine.

It could just been a coincident, i've used my card extensively for two year so i maybe it was time for it to rest in Gehenna for all eternity - I don't know exactly.

But the card behaved quite strange with this games. High speed fan in the intro screen and then very sluggish performance in the game with the fans at 50-80% approximately. Shadowplay refused to work and the card died when the fans running 50% max. It was hot on the outside but it didn't spool up the fan (no temp reading thou and no log unfortunately).

I'm just curious about what happened and why. No blame and shame. I will get a new card on warranty.

#51 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 19:37

I'm not sure it makes too much difference with anything over a 660. nvidia cards seem to have less issues than amd ones, at least for now.

my 980gtx suffers very little slow down/lag, doesnt get overworked at any point... so I can recommend that lol

I think the problems with AMD cards may be fixed by installing the newest drivers - though my (oldish) HD 6870 never had any problems from the start so I can't confirm it.

It could just been a coincident, i've used my card extensively for two year so i maybe it was time for it to rest in Gehenna for all eternity - I don't know exactly.

But the card behaved quite strange with this games. High speed fan in the intro screen and then very sluggish performance in the game with the fans at 50-80% approximately. Shadowplay refused to work and the card died when the fans running 50% max. It was hot on the outside but it didn't spool up the fan (no temp reading thou and no log unfortunately).

I'm just curious about what happened and why. No blame and shame. I will get a new card on warranty.

I absolutely get why you're curious. The reason it was running at high speed is that in the menu and start of the game is that there's no frame limiter. So the game just pumps out as many frames per second as it can, working the GPU close to 100%. In Europolis, however, there is a lot of stuff going on that uses the CPU, and suddenly the execution of one of the CPU threads becomes the limiting factor. This is what causes a drop in the frame rate there (or, as you put it, sluggish performance). Since the GPU is no longer working as hard, the fan speeds drop. The reason shadowplay doesn't work is that the game runs in borderless fullscreen.

The fixes for this is implementing v-sync and adding an option for true fullscreen. They are also working on optimizations for Europolis to bring up performance there.

• CosmicD and One Neo like this

April Ryan is my friend,

#52 aFriendNamed5

aFriendNamed5

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 19:57

I kinda felt the need to register just to make this post, because this is getting ridiculous now. Instead of posting anything genuinely useful for RTG/the community to help with any issues, you've all just taken to senseless finger-pointing and bitchiness? Really!? This isn''t a school playground. 

The fact is that there are too many factors at play - in regards to game performance and what it's doing to your hardware - to effectively blame any single party. 

Yes, RTG NEED to optimise their implementation of the Unity engine to eliminate some of these performance issues. If you have older hardware, or even newer hardware that is simply a bit awkward, then OF COURSE the fact that it is trying to cope with a poorly-optimised game is going to p*ss it off a little and make it react sporadically. 

Obviously, if you've got faulty hardware or outdated drivers, that's not going to help things either and both of these things are within your control to fix. 

Neither of these points mean that "nVidia are sh*t" or that AMD are the technological anti-christ or that RTG are single-handedly responsible for your PC self-destructing out of boredom and frustration - these are TEETHING PROBLEMS. 

We're within the first week of release and things have happened that RTG, being a small dev with limited access to test hardware, had not foreseen. 

Thankfully we have a (largely) decent community and a developer that is committed to their fans and their game to help us sort these problems out. It's bound to take time, mostly due to the fact that Disney movies lie because magic does not exist. And Santa isn't real either. 

All I'm saying is, wait, be patient, give RTG some time and support and see what the end result is then. If the patches are rolled out and your super-mega-ultra-worldsaving-penis extension PC is still threatening to irradiate your entire neighbourhood after 5 minutes of play, THEN you can voice your concerns. Only, let's do it a bit more politely and without resorting to forum threads that make mildly retarded pre-schoolers look like hardened intellectuals. 

• CosmicD likes this

#53 NaturallyAspirated

NaturallyAspirated

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 22:19

Honestly, this issue reminds me of the initial bug in Starcraft 2 which was also killing video cards. That was caused by an uncapped framerate.

On my GTX 970, I have ShadowPlay enabled which superimposes the framerate in the upper-left corner of the screen, similar to Fraps. In Dreamfall Chapters I have consistently seen this FPS counter skyrocket to over 1600 FPS in certain situations. I can certainly see this causing overheating problems, especially with an older card, and let's face it, even a perfectly decent card like a GTX 560 Ti is going to be ~3.5 years old now.

Basically, I can't think of any reason not to implement either Vsync or a frame rate limiter. For myself, I have a fairly typical 60Hz monitor, so anything over ~70 FPS is just wasting electricity and forcing my hardware to do unnecessary work. The fact that it technically shouldn't cause a problem is irrelevant; it's still completely unnecessary.

#54 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 26 October 2014 - 22:29

Basically, I can't think of any reason not to implement either Vsync or a frame rate limiter. For myself, I have a fairly typical 60Hz monitor, so anything over ~70 FPS is just wasting electricity and forcing my hardware to do unnecessary work. The fact that it technically shouldn't cause a problem is irrelevant; it's still completely unnecessary.

v-sync will be included in an upcoming patch, maybe next week.

• agirlnamedbob and NaturallyAspirated like this

April Ryan is my friend,

#55 Reeger

Reeger

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:26

In the meantime you can download D3DOverrider to force easily force Vsync on the game (it's also a very useful program in general).

:)

#56 aberger

aberger

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 13:37

To add to  this problem. ASUS gtx870m based ROG laptop, 3 months old. On first load at the menu screen the exhaust fans were hotter then they've ever been so I download realtemp 3.70 to check it.

After 10 minutes in the 2nd dream sequence (the scared of the dark guy) the laptop overheated and turned itself off. CPU went from 45 to 72degrees celcius which I guess is my laptops safety switch.

---

Have played many games on this laptop at 1440p 60fps and it's never overheated, nor have I noticed it operating at temps I wouldn't want on my lap. 

---

The guy above who lost his video card whilst playing this game. Entirely possible. Not playing this game anymore because I don't want my laptop destroyed by a poorly optimised game.

#57 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 October 2014 - 14:20

A performance patch is expected sometime this week, you may want to try again then.

April Ryan is my friend,

#58 migatora

migatora

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 16:31

....In Europolis, however, there is a lot of stuff going on that uses the CPU, and suddenly the execution of one of the CPU threads becomes the limiting factor. This is what causes a drop in the frame rate there (or, as you put it, sluggish performance)...

That explains a lot to me: when the CPU is in High Performance, Europolis runs smoothly on my laptop with a resolution of 1600x900 and quality in Medium.

Still, why is Pandemonium even more sluggish that other parts of Europolis?

Regards,

Miguel

#59 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 27 October 2014 - 18:55

I don't know why people have trouble with Pandemonium. I don't think everyone does.

April Ryan is my friend,

#60 blaster

blaster

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationStark

Posted 27 October 2014 - 21:11

For those who got 95% GPU Load or a crazy fan.

Please check your rigs for mailware,  there is this new kind which mines bitcoins using your GPU with help of CUDA technology.

blasted be the balance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users