Photo

Dreamfall Chapters Overworking Graphics Card?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#21 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 23 October 2014 - 16:10

so it's because of my i5 from 3 years ago that I have low fps in europolis ? Strange because I don't even hear the cpu fan rasing up, but with games like watch dogs and firefall I hear the cpu fan moderatly running.

#22 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 23 October 2014 - 16:12

so it's because of my i5 from 3 years ago that I have low fps in europolis ?

I get frame rate drops in europolis, and my i5(4.4gz) is only working at 50%. So im not sure I buy this cpu bound excuse. It just seems to treat every cpu like a dual core regardless.

as for my gpu, its so untraumatised by running DFC it doesnt even bother switching the fans on.

Its just unity, its a dog.

#23 Sliph

Sliph

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 16:12

This is because frame rate in Europolis proper is bounded by the CPU performance, while the frame rate in enclosed spaces is bounded by GPU performance. The game does not have a frame limiter (yet).

That makes sense then yea. They really need to add a frame limiter.

fs_pc.png

#24 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 16:13

so it's because of my i5 from 3 years ago that I have low fps in europolis ? Strange because I don't even hear the cpu fan rasing up, but with games like watch dogs and firefall I hear the cpu fan moderatly running.

The game is bounded by the performance of a single thread, this is why the load doesn't seem so bad. Unity does not utilize multiple cores very effectively.

edit: Well, not the game, but the frame rate. This is consistent with similar problems in other unity games.

• CosmicD likes this

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#25 vaiomaniac

vaiomaniac

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBronnoysund, Norway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 16:18

The Geforce 780 Ti should be fine to run the game. 

Make sure you're not overriding any application gfx settings through the Nvidia Control Panel, and other settings. That's all I can give you for now. :)

Should be fine ? that is a pretty high powered graphics card right there 

• khh likes this

#26 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 16:38

The game is bounded by the performance of a single thread, this is why the load doesn't seem so bad. Unity does not utilize multiple cores very effectively.

edit: Well, not the game, but the frame rate. This is consistent with similar problems in other unity games.

that is really unfortunate. I hope they can customize the engine enough to fix this. Cause it seems lots of potential is wasted like that.

#27 Shiva

Shiva

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationTaos, New Mexico

Posted 23 October 2014 - 16:43

For me I started the game for the first time last night and it overheated my GTX570 and caused a BSOD twice.  Now my card can't even load Heaven Benchmark - so it may be coincidental to that card going south.  It was, however, operating just fine until the two episodes of BSOD I had last night.

Time for a new card probably and I will send my system in for a good stress test and tune with the builder.  

But yes, the game is pushing the graphics HARD.

Gaming my life away since 1976...

#28 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 17:13

that is really unfortunate. I hope they can customize the engine enough to fix this. Cause it seems lots of potential is wasted like that.

I really think its out of Read Thread Games jurisdiction in terms of fixes. The only the unity programers can fix the engine its self (realistically), and maybe nvidia if they take notice, maybe they can do something driverwise on their next release for the gpu end of things. They are actually really good at stuff like that.

#29 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 17:14

I really think its out of Read Thread Games jurisdiction in terms of fixes. The only the unity programers can fix the engine its self (realistically), and maybe nvidia if they take notice, maybe they can do something driverwise on their next release for the gpu end of things. They are actually really good at stuff like that.

There are ways of offloading work from the Unity parts to the programming you do in C#. But I don't know if this is feasible for how RTG has everything structured. 

(Work that can then be done more effectively, or possibly on another core)

April Ryan is my friend,

#30 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 17:26

There are ways of offloading work from the Unity parts to the programming you do in C#. But I don't know if this is feasible for how RTG has everything structured. 

(Work that can then be done more effectively, or possibly on another core)

I have it down as using 41 threads in euopolis, which is a pretty none trivial amount. It just seems like the old issue of having one big main game loop, with sub threads hanging off it is holding true. I would guess thats its a fundamental game engine issue. The fact I seem to top out at 50% cpu usage suggests its locked in to a dual core type structure.

It also seems bias towards some hardware. Some gpus are being thrashed, while some are pretty much coasting along, but all giving the same results.

Hopefully there is a solution, the game is so good it doesnt deserve any negative fall out from these performance issues. and nor do RTG. I can see DFC being the best in the series. Which is a tall order.

#31 Sliph

Sliph

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 17:43

For me I started the game for the first time last night and it overheated my GTX570 and caused a BSOD twice.  Now my card can't even load Heaven Benchmark - so it may be coincidental to that card going south.  It was, however, operating just fine until the two episodes of BSOD I had last night.

Time for a new card probably and I will send my system in for a good stress test and tune with the builder.  

But yes, the game is pushing the graphics HARD.

Man that really blows. Im sure the same would have happened to me but i'm fortunate in that the 600 series and above cards will downclock themselves  automatically to avoid what just happened to you. I'm using evga precision and I can actually see exactly when my card starts throttling itself with this game. It will hit 98c and immediately my Mhz will drop in half until it cools back down to like 90 then ramps back up again.. this process keeps repeating over and over with this game. I've never seen my card do this with any other game before. There honestly should be some kind of warning for people. Replacing cards because a game is causing them to fry is not cheap or cool. I really do hope they can find some kind of solution for this quickly as I also don't want to see this game get bad press because of poor performance issues or damaging peoples systems. 

fs_pc.png

#32 Balkep

Balkep

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 15:27

Sliph, thanks for mentioning frame limiters ;)

If anyone's interested, this did the trick for me (dropped the temperature from 90C to around 73-75C): 

The basic idea is to limit the framerate using a 3rd party tool (MSI Afterburner in the video).

#33 LetsBeReal

LetsBeReal

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 16:31

While I truly appreciate the effort to bring forth a conclusion to Dreamfall - I must say right now this is looking like any other kickstarter project. You expect a lot but the end result is just 'meh'.

This overheating issue should be #1 priority and RTG should come out with a patch.. yesterday. It's ridiculous you didn't pick up on this during testing. The game CLEARLY needs optimization. It could literally fry a graphics card.

The episodic format - as always - is disappointing. The fanboys may argue all they want but I'm sure most people would prefer one full game, one solid experience. We don't even know when the next episode is due out - at least Telltale stuck to some kind of schedule, we may end up waiting for the followups for god knows how long.

NOTHING happened in episode 1. Just as I thought "finally, now we might be getting somewhere" boom, I'm hit with the credits. I'm just going to keep it real and say the first episode was a disappointment.

$1.5M + whatever got pledged late ... and this is what we got?

Sorry, I probably sound overly negative and half of this stuff doesn't even fit the thread in question but it had to be said. I'm done.

#34 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 24 October 2014 - 16:35

Sorry, I probably sound overly negative and half of this stuff doesn't even fit the thread in question but it had to be said. I'm done.

Book two is in late beta, and I believe the entire game is playable from start to finish. We will get a whole lot more.

April Ryan is my friend,

#35 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 24 October 2014 - 17:00

NOTHING happened in episode 1.

Lots happened if you know what your looking for. Its not an action game.

#36 Mr_Russ

Mr_Russ

Vestrum Herald

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • LocationCaddington, Luton, GB

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:05

khh, that's good to know. It would explain 10-15 fps on an 8-core AMD.

It doesn't look as though alternate frame rendering is going to make a difference to Europolis though.

#37 One Neo

One Neo

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:30

Oh my.... My graphic card (680GTX) simply died and is now showing green lines over the whole screen. Under warranty so no hard feelings, but man, this game is hard to drive.

#38 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:35

I remember on tuesday that when I stopped dreamfall and started to play left 4 dead, the card just franticly started resetting itself and I had to rebood to make it stop. This, and the fact that shadowplay is broke after playing dfc has to be a sign of something wwrong, either in the driver or in unity.

I'm gonna wait making more playtroughs until this is fixed.

#39 mpapad1968

mpapad1968

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:33

My ASUS GTX670 also died while playing dreamfall chapters (I was in europolis at the time).

I heard a whinning noise from the card and then I saw a flash near the PCI port and the computer rebooted.

After reading this thread I never could imagined that a game could drive a card to this point.

Btw I did finish the game using the on board vga (intel graphics 4600) without any problems.

#40 One Neo

One Neo

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 13:41

While I truly appreciate the effort to bring forth a conclusion to Dreamfall - I must say right now this is looking like any other kickstarter project. You expect a lot but the end result is just 'meh'.

The game is impressive for a Kickstarter game - but yeah there are issues. The overheating is hardly RTGs faulth thou, this is a Unity - Nvida issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users