Photo

Dreamfall Chapters Overworking Graphics Card?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Threepwood

Threepwood

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:35

Hi,

I have a Geforce 780 Ti and when I start this game I notice the fan crank up way more than any other game. I don't think this game should be stressing the card more than other newly released games. I did have a similar issue with another game once that was solved but forcing Vsync on as the game was just over rendering but even that didn't seem to help with Dreamfall Chapters. Has anyone else noticed unusually high fan speeds or temps when running this game?

#2 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:37

My graphics card fan was also running pretty hot, but for me it makes sense since I've got an older card and was trying to push it to make the game as beautiful as possible (though I wish I could have played with the highest texture resolution - felt I was missing out on the details of the posters).

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#3 vaiomaniac

vaiomaniac

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBronnoysund, Norway

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:21

Hi,

I have a Geforce 780 Ti and when I start this game I notice the fan crank up way more than any other game. I don't think this game should be stressing the card more than other newly released games. I did have a similar issue with another game once that was solved but forcing Vsync on as the game was just over rendering but even that didn't seem to help with Dreamfall Chapters. Has anyone else noticed unusually high fan speeds or temps when running this game?

Yeah my card is going nuts as well related to the massive fps drops I keep getting.

#4 Morten

Morten

RTG Programmer

• RTG Staff
  • 1061 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:18

Hi,

The Geforce 780 Ti should be fine to run the game. 

Make sure you're not overriding any application gfx settings through the Nvidia Control Panel, and other settings. That's all I can give you for now. :)

Red Thread Games PR0grammer & Naturally Selected Part-Time "Keep Track of Forum"-person / Community Overseer

#5 Loerwyn

Loerwyn

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:45

Can I just offer a bit of... something?

I've been finding that my Geforce card (GTS 450) does ramp up on some games - Saints Row IV, The Witcher 2, Civ V, DFC to some degree - but in other games it's fine. I'm wondering if it's more a quirk with the drivers than it is something to do with this game. It never used to do it until I updated my drivers a few months back (I went back to earlier ones but the problem remained).

#6 Reeger

Reeger

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:15

What do you consider to be "overworking"?

As long as the card is not overheating it's fine. This game actually utilizes the GPU very well (unlike some console ports that are CPU-bound and hardly utilize it), so it makes sense you will notice higher temps and fan noise.

I have a GTX 970 and the GPU is at around 75% utilization on average, with temps at around 60c-65c which is excellent.

EDIT: After reading another topic, it could be related to a lack of Vsync. The game can render at 100+ FPS and cause major strain on the card. I am using an external program called D3DOverrider to force Vsync + Triple buffering, which could be why I have not noticed this. I recommend you use it too.

Edited by Reeger, 21 October 2014 - 12:54.

#7 Sliph

Sliph

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:29

There is definitely an issue. I'm using a gtx 690 and although i am able to max settings it is only using 1 of my gpu's so there is no multi gpu support and the 1 that it is using is working waaaay too hard. My temps went up to 100c. I've never had that happen in any game and I play much more demanding games than this one. This really needs to be addressed this game could easily fry peoples cards if they aren't watching there temps. Something's really wrong. even after forcing vsync my temps are through the roof. I want to play this game really badly but it's not worth the risk of me losing my card to it.

fs_pc.png

#8 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:36

My temps went up to 100c.

even if your card was being worked to 100%, it shouldnt reach 100c unless that fan isnt working. a gfx card should be able to run at 100% for hours and hours (if not indefinitely). If it cant regulate its own temp its faulty. Unless there is some other major issue.

#9 Sliph

Sliph

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:42

even if your card was being worked to 100%, it shouldnt reach 100c unless that fan isnt working. a gfx card should be able to run at 100% for hours and hours (if not indefinitely). If it cant regulate its own temp its faulty. Unless there is some other major issue.

There is nothing wrong with my card the problem is this game is not using it correctly which is forcing the temps too high. As i said the gtx 690 is multi gpu card meaning its two cards in one. Dreamfall is only using one so instead of each card working at like 50-60% one card is pulling all the weight running at 99% which is causing the insane temps. I play bf4 all day long i never go above 70c i play tera, landmark, heck even crysis and titanfall and have NEVER seen these temps. So please spare me the "its my fault" speech.

fs_pc.png

#10 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:47

So please spare me the "its my fault" speech.

I never said it was your fault. Spare me the arrogance.

#11 Sliph

Sliph

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:52

I never said it was your fault. Spare me the arrogance.

I'm not here to argue with you but you came off as pretty arrogant to me first and telling me its my fan not working "obviously :rolleyes: " sure sounds like you are blaming me before knowing anything else.

fs_pc.png

#12 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:05

I'm not here to argue with you but you came off as pretty arrogant to me first and telling me its my fan not working "obviously :rolleyes: " sure sounds like you are blaming me before knowing anything else.

Fair enough. But again I didnt blame you, and I never said obviously. :)

ok with that out of the way, I do know a thing or two about the situation. Basically you have an sli configuration, all be it on one card. I think as far as unity is concerned it is presented to it as a single gpu, and not every game supports sli anyway. Its down to the drivers and firmware to manage the workload, fan speeds any pretty much everything else. I'm happy to be proven wrong if it results in a solution. RTG will more than likely get back you at some point.

Good luck.

#13 Sliph

Sliph

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:52

Ok i managed to find an easy fix for my problem. I hope maybe it will help someone else that might come across the same issue. Simply make a custom program setting for dreamfall within your nvidia control panel and change the multi gpu setting to "force alternate frame rendering 1" and hit apply. Game runs like a Dream now "no pun intended"  and is using both cards. My temps are steady at 68-70C after playing for about an hour so far. Pic below for reference if needed. Good luck all Obviously this is only for nvidia cards I have no clue for ati users sorry!

Edit: would also like to add if you are still having fps issues with rendering 1 you can try using 2 this actually increased my fps A LOT more but my temps also rose pretty high as well not dangerous levels but it was hitting 90c after a couple of hours. That's still safe zone for my card but much much higher than i feel comfortable with. I'm hoping nvidia comes out with a driver update for this game but i won't hold my breath.

N0Cp33x.png

• agirlnamedbob, blaster and OldDarth like this

fs_pc.png

#14 Threepwood

Threepwood

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:06

What do you consider to be "overworking"?

As long as the card is not overheating it's fine. This game actually utilizes the GPU very well (unlike some console ports that are CPU-bound and hardly utilize it), so it makes sense you will notice higher temps and fan noise.

I have a GTX 970 and the GPU is at around 75% utilization on average, with temps at around 60c-65c which is excellent.

EDIT: After reading another topic, it could be related to a lack of Vsync. The game can render at 100+ FPS and cause major strain on the card. I am using an external program called D3DOverrider to force Vsync + Triple buffering, which could be why I have not noticed this. I recommend you use it too.

I am pretty sure it is a Frame limiting / Vsync issue as well. Fraps shows the FPS at well over 100. Trying to  force Vsync through the nvidia control panel seems to have no effect. It definitely is not normal the way the card behaves. The fan kicks in to high gear and the temps rise dramatically just on the main menu screen.

#15 pendulus

pendulus

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:48

Noticed some FPS drop at the start of Chapters 2 and 3 so far. Have had Crossfire disabled since I haven't played any demanding games in awhile. I updated my GPU drivers and enabled Crossfire (7950), the second card isn't doing anything (0% load). Tried another game afterwards and second card ran as it should.

#16 Fitzwilliam

Fitzwilliam

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:31

If it is a VSync issue, then it could probably be fixed by installing either D3DOverrider, which can force VSync with triple buffering, or DxTory, which can limit your framerate to your refresh rate. Note that DxTory is shareware. I know that I'm running both and have experienced no such issue.

#17 Balkep

Balkep

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:25

I'm having a similar issue. The temperature goes up to 89C, but I regularly clean my GPU and apply new thermal compound every other month. The other games don't have this kind of effect on my GPU.

#18 blaster

blaster

Vestrum Crier

• Minstrum
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  • LocationStark

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:42

Sliph thansk, actually it helped a bit and the fan makes less noise. 

blasted be the balance

#19 Sliph

Sliph

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 15:58

They definitely need to optimize. It's so weird when i'm in enclosed spaces like the docs office or storytime my card seems to work overtime for no reason and my temps jump to 90c+ but when i'm in Europolis which you would think would really make my card run hard my temps actually lower all the way down to 70c but my fps is 40-50 and runs fine. It's just doesn't make any sense to me :wacko:

fs_pc.png

#20 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 16:04

They definitely need to optimize. It's so weird when i'm in enclosed spaces like the docs office or storytime my card seems to work overtime for no reason and my temps jump to 90c+ but when i'm in Europolis which you would think would really make my card run hard my temps actually lower all the way down to 70c but my fps is 40-50 and runs fine. It's just doesn't make any sense to me :wacko:

This is because frame rate in Europolis proper is bounded by the CPU performance, while the frame rate in enclosed spaces is bounded by GPU performance. The game does not have a frame limiter (yet).

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users