• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:58

This happen everywhere in Europolis, for me. :( This isnt funny. 

This crash seems to be related to lack of RAM. Try closing other programs that might use RAM, like the browser.

What are your system specs?

April Ryan is my friend,
Every sorrow she can mend.
When I visit her dark realm,
Does it simply overwhelm.

#22 Quintin

Quintin

Token Afro-Asian

• RTG Staff
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:13

Yeah Europolis is a big scene with a lot of stuff going on. We tried to breathe as much life into the city hub as possible but this does mean it is quite demanding memory-wise if you're running on high settings. Try restarting and lowering your graphics settings. This issue is also more prevalent on Mac because of the way OS X and Unity handles the memory. We are actively looking into reducing the memory footprint there on our side, and if you run the release build of the game (as opposed to the early access), there should already be improvements in that build for memory related crashes during scene transitions :)

#23 Minodragon

Minodragon

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 12:15

The game generally runs fine for me, on highest settings. But it crashed with every chapter switch. After the first cutscene and the switch to the second chapter, maybe another point as well.
Switching everything to low and windowed mode seemed to work. for those 2-3 points in the game. But after leaving Roman his office it will always crash without an error. On rare occasions I get to see the city with loads of visual bugs, and then it crashes before I dare to move.

#24 muhkuh

muhkuh

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 13:15

Hi.

My System is:

Windows 8.1 64 BIT

16 GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 760

Samsung SSD

Asrock Z77 Pro Mainboard

Intel i5-3350P

This crash seems to be related to lack of RAM. Try closing other programs that might use RAM, like the browser.

What are your system specs?

#25 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 October 2014 - 13:19

Ah, well that should easily play the game. Try using the lowest possible settings, that might help. Otherwise I don't know that we can help you, currently.

April Ryan is my friend,

#26 SanMadJack

SanMadJack

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 14:43

I tried turning down the graphics last night, and sure enough it got me past the first cutscene, after which I cranked it again. I'm a little concerned by the claim that this is being caused by not having enough memory. I have 12 GB of RAM in my desktop, there's no reason that should be an issue there, but the bigger concern is why does it crash because of that? These aren't consoles, every computer has swap space. As a programmer I'm curious for more details as to specifically why this is causing a crash. Is it a bug, a limitation of the engine, something else?

#27 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 October 2014 - 14:52

I tried turning down the graphics last night, and sure enough it got me past the first cutscene, after which I cranked it again. I'm a little concerned by the claim that this is being caused by not having enough memory. I have 12 GB of RAM in my desktop, there's no reason that should be an issue there, but the bigger concern is why does it crash because of that? These aren't consoles, every computer has swap space. As a programmer I'm curious for more details as to specifically why this is causing a crash. Is it a bug, a limitation of the engine, something else?

Most of the crashes have been related to lack of RAM, so we (quite possibly me in particular) mistakenly assumed that you had the same problem. If you have 12 GB system RAM, though, then obviously that's not the problem. It would probably be helpful to RTG if you could send them a crashlog, if it happens again. You can find it in

\steam\appdata\common\Dreamfall Chapters\Dreamfall Chapters_Data\output_log.txt

As for the specifics of why RAM limitations causes a crash? I'm guessing a new operator throwing an exception that's not caught, or a malloc returning a NULL pointer that's then referenced. The problem is likely in the Unity engine code itself.

April Ryan is my friend,

#28 paedt

paedt

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 15:18

I have this problem too. The crash can be bypassed (during the introduction) by bumping graphics to Low, but even this does not stop a crash within the first 5 seconds of Propast.

I am running Yosemite on a Mac Pro (2013) with 32GB of RAM, so I can't see this as being a memory problem -- but it sure seems like one. My graphics card is a D300 with 2GB VRAM, if it matters.

I'm away from this computer at the moment, but will send a crashlog once I can.

• khh likes this

#29 SanMadJack

SanMadJack

Rubber Ducky

• Dreamer
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 15:26

Most of the crashes have been related to lack of RAM, so we (quite possibly me in particular) mistakenly assumed that you had the same problem. If you have 12 GB system RAM, though, then obviously that's not the problem. It would probably be helpful to RTG if you could send them a crashlog, if it happens again. You can find it in

\steam\appdata\common\Dreamfall Chapters\Dreamfall Chapters_Data\output_log.txt

As for the specifics of why RAM limitations causes a crash? I'm guessing a new operator throwing an exception that's not caught, or a malloc returning a NULL pointer that's then referenced. The problem is likely in the Unity engine code itself.

That's actually a really good explanation. I don't do a lot of programming with programs that use up a lot of memory, so I was curious how that would manifest itself, thanks. I'll be sure to generate a log of the crash when I get home tonight, I just checked the log and I think it gets overwritten every time you restart the game.

#30 Parsnip

Parsnip

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 17:38

I too am crashing during the opening after the boats start to move.

win7-64

gtx 760

8gigs of ram

Latest drivers.

#31 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 October 2014 - 18:21

I too am crashing during the opening after the boats start to move.

win7-64

gtx 760

8gigs of ram

Latest drivers.

Try running the game on the lowest settings, that has helped for some. After the intro is finished and you regain control of the character, you can increase it again.

April Ryan is my friend,

#32 muhkuh

muhkuh

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 19:07

Here you can find my crash log. check out the attach files

Attached Files

#33 redfox

redfox

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 19:51

I always get the following game crash, right after start:

Unity Player [version: Unity 4.5.4f1_e036f44c54c9]
... Access Violation (0xc0000005) at 001b:001a5735 ...

Read from location 00000000 caused an access violation.

33% memory in use.
3552 MB physical memory [2352 MB free].
0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
2048 MB user address space [1471 MB free].

Windows 7 SP1 32bit, 4 GB RAM, 6 GB pagefile.

Isn't 4 GB of memory enough?

#34 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 October 2014 - 20:09

4 GB memory should be enough. Are you able to access the menu to turn the graphics down to the lowest settings?

April Ryan is my friend,

#35 redfox

redfox

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:15

Vestrum Herald> No, the crash occurs right after the "Kickstarter backers..." message in the beginning.

I wonder why Unity is unable to read my pagefile size correctly..

#36 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:39

Hmm.

Try to close all other applications as you start the game - especially memory hungry applications, and see if that helps.

Try running regedit (just type that in the start menu) and navigating to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Red Thread Games\Dreamfall Chapters - there should be some values there

If the following values exists (it's not certain that all of them will) set them to the indicated values (the numbers may be different)

AntiAliasing_h202156769 to 0

SSAO_h2089437707 to 0

UnityGraphicsQuality_h1339003810 to 0

Try starting the game then. If that helps.

If not, and the UnityGraphicsQuality option wan't present, try to right click new => DWORD (32-bit value)

Name it UnityGraphicsQuality_h1339003810 and make sure it's set to 0. If that doesn't help either, then I don't know.

April Ryan is my friend,

#37 Pawlo_86

Pawlo_86

Harbinger of the Balance

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2740 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:49

Hmm.

Try to close all other applications as you start the game - especially memory hungry applications, and see if that helps.

Try running regedit (just type that in the start menu) and navigating to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Red Thread Games\Dreamfall Chapters - there should be some values there

If the following values exists (it's not certain that all of them will) set them to the indicated values (the numbers may be different)

AntiAliasing_h202156769 to 0

SSAO_h2089437707 to 0

UnityGraphicsQuality_h1339003810 to 0

Try starting the game then. If that helps.

If not, and the UnityGraphicsQuality option wan't present, try to right click new => DWORD (32-bit value)

Name it UnityGraphicsQuality_h1339003810 and make sure it's set to 0. If that doesn't help either, then I don't know.

In that way you can also change resolution to 640x480 and make a game little more playble but it crashes just after leaving of Roman's office. I can only hear Europolis noises and then...CRASH!

#38 4cmn

4cmn

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 18:23

The game freezes for me as well, just after leaving Roman's office. Stangely, before the first freeze I was exploring the location for some good 5 minutes. And then the crash came. Now it freezes after 1 sec but the city sound stays (not the conversations). RTG, Help! I was waiting long 6 years!

#39 khh

khh

Harbinger of the Balance

• 7122 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 23 October 2014 - 18:29

The game freezes for me as well, just after leaving Roman's office. Stangely, before the first freeze I was exploring the location for some good 5 minutes. And then the crash came. Now it freezes after 1 sec but the city sound stays (not the conversations). RTG, Help! I was waiting long 6 years!

This issue seems RAM related. There are some suggested workarounds in this thread

http://redthreadgame...polis-spoilers/

If you're on a Mac, see this thread instead http://redthreadgame...o-desktop-os-x/

• 4cmn likes this

April Ryan is my friend,

#40 Tchess

Tchess

Rubber Ducky

• Minstrum
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFrance

Posted 23 October 2014 - 20:24

I've the same probleme during the opening, when the boat is in fire. It's seem obvious that the game isn't ready...

Pity, but after reading you all, I prefer to wait a few weeks, because I refuse to be obliged to turn the graphics down to the lowest settings.

(and waiting is not a probleme ;), I haven't finished yet Divinity Original Sin, another great game which had a lot of problems durings the first(s) week(s)).

I also want to say that, for the french version, there are no subtitles at the begining, when the narrator speak about the 2 worlds. Of course, it's easy to understand, but it's still a problem.

And for information, ma configuration is : Intel Core i5-2500k, Windows 7 64, GeForce GTX 760, 8 Go RAM, and the game is a GOG version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users