108 replies to this topic

#1 Victrola75

Victrola75

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:23

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I just downloaded and launched Chapters. The audio seems to work fine but from the very beginning the video and graphics (even on the menu screen) are choppy and lagging to the point where I can't play the game. Is anyone else having this problem? I turned the settings way down but it doesn't seem to do any good.

My PC is not the best but I haven't had this issue with any other recent games. A new computer is not in the cards right now so I hope there is another solution. I can post my specs if that would be helpful.

• yodagreen3 likes this

#2 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:39

Mine is a touch laggy. Have you tried turning down the graphics settings? That's what I did. Helps a bit.

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#3 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts
  • LocationYorkshire, England

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:44

I have to say, i'm playing the game on max settings (everything on max), and europolis seems to have a few performance issues. Its not gaming breaking or anything, but fps yo-yo's from 63 to 21. With a 4GB GTX 980, and a 4.4ghz i5 it should really be no problem. It dropping below 30 is pretty rare however.

@Victrola75, you dont quote your spec so its a little hard to say what settings you should be looking at.

• Jecica and agirlnamedbob like this

#4 Inkerlink

Inkerlink

Rubber Ducky

• Shifter
  • Pip
  • 39 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:46

Mine is laggy too in some heavy areas. I can usually play games at their highest setting with no issues but I have to run it on mediumi settings to get a playable framerate for this game. I'm a tad surprised, seeing as I can play much more graphically demanding games with better results. It doesn't bother me TOO much, but I chalk it up to a combination of my middle range specs and that generally Unity games and also to a lesser degree Indie titles are less optimized than AAA titles.

Edit: With that being said, make sure all of you are running the latest graphics drivers for your GPU! Helps in a lot of ways. :)

• agirlnamedbob likes this

#5 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:48

Good to know Lee. Well, I mean, not good, but helpful to know that it sounds like a glitch. Or something.

Mine is definitely still playable, but yeah. Seems to lag or hang oddly at times.
  • Lee-m likes this

#6 vaiomaniac

vaiomaniac

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBronnoysund, Norway

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:48

Yeah the prison level as well as europolis was really lagged for me 660gtx here 

• Jecica and psynumb like this

#7 SparklyPantz

SparklyPantz

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSomewhere over the rainbow

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:17

The lag is real. My computer is the same way - not the best, but I can play most recent games with little to no issue. DF:Chapters though... suffice to say I hijacked a family member's laptop and installed Steam just to see if it's better. It's virtually unplayable on mine.  :(

#8 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11228 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:03

Yeah, was doing okay-ish until I got back to Zoe. Now I'm hitting real issues. Not ruining my enjoyment, but seeing as it's midnight, I think I'm going to call it a night rather than keep fussing with it. 

#9 Andreas

Andreas

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationLillesand, Norway

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:37

I'm also having lag issues and my computer is is just a month old with specs that should not have any problems with the game. The opening video is like many still pictures. Sound is good, but the music stop long before the video is done due to the lag.

Edit. I changed screen and it helped a lot. Still lag but bearable. Finally I can play the game.

"Remember that today is tomorrow's yesterday and that tomorrow's yesterday is yesterday's tomorrow." - By Andreas

#10 little_lion_man

little_lion_man

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationZ├╝rich, Switzerland

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:50

I ran into the same issues. The game is very choppy at times, especially in Friar's Keep and the outside areas of Europolis.
My frame rate dropped to a few single frames per second (like 2-5) during those parts of the game.
I lowered the graphic settings as much as possible, but it was still unplayable. 

I have a very capable gaming computer (GTX 780, Core i7, 16 GB RAM) and my drivers are up to date.

Let's hope that RTG will optimize the game soon.

#11 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:10

I really do have to go to the office for a few hours today (on about 4 hours sleep ugh), but when I am back I will do some trouble shooting and see if I can figure out were the bottle neck is.

as I pointed out in the early hours, I get see-saw fps with what is currently the best GPU on the market (gtx 980), so there is an issue some where.

My advice is keep the camera zoomed out from zoe as much as you can. If your fps is low in parts look down not up.
I must say Friar's Keep ran flawless as well as all the cut scenes (so far), its just some parts of europolis dip to 21 fps.

#12 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts
  • LocationBehind you (mwuh ha ha!)

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:23

I have to say, i'm playing the game on max settings (everything on max), and europolis seems to have a few performance issues. Its not gaming breaking or anything, but fps yo-yo's from 63 to 21. With a 4GB GTX 980, and a 4.4ghz i5 it should really be no problem. It dropping below 30 is pretty rare however.

@Victrola75, you dont quote your spec so its a little hard to say what settings you should be looking at.

I haven't played much but as you know my rig isn't exacly low spec either. Playing at 1920x1080 resolution with settings maxed, i was getting a few issues (like AA completely missing even though set to x8), graphics wise. I expect these'll be cleaned up in the coming weeks with bug fixes. For now, it hasn't been too much of an issue.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#13 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:45

I haven't played much but as you know my rig isn't exacly low spec either. Playing at 1920x1080 resolution with settings maxed, i was getting a few issues (like AA completely missing even though set to x8), graphics wise. I expect these'll be cleaned up in the coming weeks with bug fixes. For now, it hasn't been too much of an issue.

I should think your card will be pretty much the same as mine game experience wise, and I am playing at 1080p too. For me the AA got disabled for no reason. Hitting escape and setting them on again in-game so to speak seems to fix them on and solve that issue.

Its always perfectly playable, but with any lesser card I could see how it would run into major issues.

• DiskJunky likes this

#14 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 10:46

ditto!

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

#15 Quintin

Quintin

Token Afro-Asian

• RTG Staff
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:17

Hey guys!

Just wanted to chime in here to say that for the ones who've posted specs, it's definitely not that your computer is not good enough. They should be more than adequate for the game. We've been testing the game in-house on various hardware (a lot of which are far below some of the specs posted here, including linux and mac laptops with integrated Intel gfx -- obviously on reasonable quality settings for those). There are some places where you could get into the 20s range and we are looking into optimising these but the 2-5 range that little_lion_man talks of shouldn't be happening. That sounds like a bug, not a general performance issue.

We'll definitely try investigate more hardware / software combinations and look into these issues.

In the meantime if you guys could:

1. Give specs and quality settings you're using

2. Say what kind of framerate range you mean when you say choppy

3. Give an exact location where you're experiencing this (careful of spoilers guys!)

4. And most importantly, try restart the game and see if the same thing still persists.

Thanks! :)

@Andreas: Can you give your specs?

• Em_TC and DiskJunky like this

#16 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:36

Hey guys!

Just wanted to chime in here to say that for the ones who've posted specs, it's definitely not that your computer is not good enough. They should be more than adequate for the game. We've been testing the game in-house on various hardware (a lot of which are far below some of the specs posted here, including linux and mac laptops with integrated Intel gfx -- obviously on reasonable quality settings for those). There are some places where you could get into the 20s range and we are looking into optimising these but the 2-5 range that little_lion_man talks of shouldn't be happening. That sounds like a bug, not a general performance issue.

We'll definitely try investigate more hardware / software combinations and look into these issues.

3. Give an exact location where you're experiencing this (careful of spoilers guys!)

4. And most importantly, try restart the game and see if the same thing still persists.

Processor: Intel Xeon Duel Core 2.0Ghz

RAM: 12Gb

Video: AMD Radion 6900 GTX (I think), 2Gb

Disk: 4Tb

General framerate is hard to say but it looks like it's clocking 10-20 in places in the first 40 minutes

Spoiler

#17 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:42

Everything on max, including AA. at 1080p, dual monitor set up, but with the game only running on the primary one.

i5 2500k running at 4.4ghz OC @1.26v(had this as a stable over clock now for 2 years)
16gb ddr3
msi gaming GTX 980 4GB VRAM GDDR5
1000watt psu
running the very latest stable nvidia driver.

I get about a max of 63fps in europolis, which drops to a minumum of 19 for a second or so. It tends to hover mostly around the 30-40 mark according to fraps.

Turning everything to low (keeping @1080p) only buys me another 7fps or so.

3. Give an exact location where you're experiencing this

The only place so far I have noticed frame drop in in europolis, most noticeably in the parts where you walk under the canopy with the green lighting on the floor. Looking up at the canopy makes the fps fly up to 40+.

I would say the issue is when you have lots of objects close to the camera/viewport. The same objects further away don't seem to cause an issue (or not as much).

Its worth noting that at no point does my gpu get over 60% usage, and the cpu about 50% both in spikes.
But the title screen does seem to max out my gpu to 100% for some reason ;)

I did that anyway when I had issues getting the AA to stay switched on. Which it is now.

#18 Andreas

Andreas

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • LocationLillesand, Norway

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:37

Hey guys!

I used two computers, same result for both.

Stationary pc:

AMD Quad core A10-5700 2.5GHz

AMD Radeon HD (7660D+ 7470 Dual Graphics) (2GB memory)

12GB memory

Monitor 1920x1080

New laptop:

AMD Quad core A8-6410 APU 2.00 GHz

AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (2GB memory)

8GB Memory

Really lagging when using external monitor 1920x1080 (All other games has worked well on this). Got much better when changing to internal monitor and 1366x768 but still a little lag. No difference changing settings to low.

• Nowo likes this

"Remember that today is tomorrow's yesterday and that tomorrow's yesterday is yesterday's tomorrow." - By Andreas

#19 DiskJunky

DiskJunky

Harbinger of the Balance

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3091 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:51

I used two computers, same result for both.

Stationary pc:

AMD Quad core A10-5700 2.5GHz

AMD Radeon HD (7660D+ 7470 Dual Graphics) (2GB memory)

12GB memory

Monitor 1920x1080

New laptop:

AMD Quad core A8-6410 APU 2.00 GHz

AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (2GB memory)

8GB Memory

Really lagging when using external monitor 1920x1080 (All other games has worked well on this). Got much better when changing to internal monitor and 1366x768 but still a little lag.

Hmm, I wonder if it's a resolution issue somehow...?

#20 Lee-m

Lee-m

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1866 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:55

@Andreas, at no point do you state what settings your running the game at. Both your cpus are pretty weak, I wouldnt try straying much over medium (if at all).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users