Photo

So I take it Zoë's voice actress ISNT in Chapters?

voice actress zoe zoë Ellie Conrad Leigh

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#61 Emmote

Emmote

Arcadia Native

• Dreamer
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 00:05

I think people will fall in love very quickly when they start playing in Zoë's shoes and hear her speak. Everything will hopefully fall in place and within a short time, the new voice and the new look will become the Zoë we know and the disparity will fade away.

Having not played Dreamfall in over a year, I dare say I won't even be able to tell the difference in voice. And I recognised Zoë immediately in the very first images, the ones a lot of people said weren't her. The updated ones are even better.

• Teller and Jana like this

--Emmo

#62 CosmicD

CosmicD

Vestrum Herald

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1555 posts
  • LocationHasselt, Limburg, Belgium

Posted 17 October 2014 - 10:02

I would recognize the difference between Jen Taylor and Sara hamilton with my head submerged in a bucket of horse......yet it doesn't really matter to me as much if they would change.

Things change, people move on, it'd be cool that a character retains their voice but if it improves (which I think it does in this case, again not to insult Ellie), it's fine by me.

#63 pazzer

pazzer

Fringe Café Regular

• Dreamer
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 13:21

Couldn't stand Zoe's new voice at first and was thinking would have to play game with just subtitles. After listing a few times still not overly keen. Hoping once playing game it will click. 

#64 loranna238

loranna238

Vestrum Crier

• Shifter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 658 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Between the Earth and the Sun

Posted 17 October 2014 - 18:43

Couldn't stand Zoe's new voice at first and was thinking would have to play game with just subtitles. After listing a few times still not overly keen. Hoping once playing game it will click. 

I felt the same way about Gabriel Knight's voice in the new GK1 remake - they cleaned it up a lot though post production and I really identify him as Gabriel now.

• wandrew likes this

#65 popcorngal

popcorngal

Arcadia Native

• Drachkin
  • PipPipPip
  • 417 posts
  • LocationWashington State, USA

Posted 17 October 2014 - 19:09

Been putting off listening to the 'new' Zoe but finally decided to watch a clip where she's talking. I was on pins and needles because I've had audio books and games ruined for me because of vocal acting I didn't care for. 

Well... I'm very pleased with the vocal actress. As others have stated, life does have a way of changing people! It makes sense to me that Zoe's voice should have a richer timbre to it because of what she's been through. I watched a playthrough of Dreamfall last week so Ellie's voice was fresh in my mind and i always thought she did a great job. So, I was quite suprised that it wasn't a jarring experience for me to hear a different voice.

Hrm, while that issue has been resolved, I'm still undecided about whether to start playing next week or whether to wait until Book 5 comes out. *wanders off to ponder*

• loranna238 likes this

"Oh! I was having this weird dream about a big ass turkey wearing a pair of red shoes. And you were there, and he was there, and, and... maybe it wasn't a dream after all?"   :crow:

#66 claralyn

claralyn

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:23

Spoiler
She really made the game for me! Granted I've only played a tiny bit of the Chapter 1 so far so maybe it will grow on me...

(Sorry, being extra sensitive with spoiler tags due to early access)

• Morten, Edreamer Jamil and agirlnamedbob like this

#67 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:29

I edited in [voice actor] in the thread title, because otherwise it could be misinterpreted as a "spoilerish hint" to characters. And we have been told by Ragnar that Ellie wouldn't be back (not on Kickstarter updates though, I think)

Thanks for being spoiler minded though!

I'm also contemplating merging this with this thread instead. What do you say?

• agirlnamedbob likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#68 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:33

Honestly, I vote merge. Just to keep discussions on the topic tidy.

• DiskJunky likes this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#69 claralyn

claralyn

Rubber Ducky

• Vestrum
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:33

Sure no problem! Thanks for letting me know, I didn't know Ragnar already told us.

• DiskJunky likes this

#70 Tina

Tina

RTG Forum Moderator

• 2876 posts
  • LocationOslo, Norway

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:41

Done! I think. Merging was more complicated than I thought (Found out: Always stay in the "merge to" thread and then "merge with" the new one. Lesson learned (but thread number + link is now a different one, hope that didn't ruin everything, gah)

• agirlnamedbob likes this
Tina: RTG fangirl and forum moderator.

#71 VikMorroHun

VikMorroHun

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:20

Well, I just read this topic yesterday and I suddenly lost my words... :(  

Ellie won´t come back to dub Zoë? It hit me so... so hard that I wasn´t able to react immediatelly...

Today I tried to consume it and look at it with my sober mind...still can´t believe that but I have to accept that, what else could I do, right?

I hope the new voice will be at least as half as brilliant as Ellie´s ....keeping my fingers crossed  :sotb:

Unfortunately she isn't back. And I think you are right - the new voice actor is just half as brilliant as Ellie-Conrad Leigh was. We can get used to her voice, but she isn't the real Zoe from Dreamfall.

#72 agirlnamedbob

agirlnamedbob

Harbinger of the Balance

• 11227 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:23

I'm going to be honest with you, I'm having the opposite experiences. I was iffy, and then she started to grow on me, but by the end of Chapter One I was really into Zoe's new voice. I

Obviously this is totally one of those subjective / opinion things. So I'm not asking anyone to agree with me. Just saying that New!Zoe definitely feels like Zoe to me. 

• khh and Mr Moo like this

Erika - Friendly RTG Moderator

Facebook - Twitter - Steam - Twitch

#73 Raiden

Raiden

Arcadia Native

• Istrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationGreat Britain

Posted 22 October 2014 - 01:38

To my ears Zoe's new voice really reminds me of the actress from that new BBC Three show "Siblings." It's probably too early to go poking around IMDb for a confirmation though.

#74 Kyote39

Kyote39

Rubber Ducky

• Istrum
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:06

The new actress is amazing. She brings Zoe to life for me in a way the old one didn't. Warm and personable and err, a tad sexy! I'm early on in the ep but so far she makes it for me.

• Edreamer Jamil and Mr Moo like this

#75 Aj17

Aj17

Arcadia Native

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:29

No idea who is playing Zoe but I love her voice..and a part of me is thinking sounds like the original Lara croft from 1996, shelley blond or w/e who voiced her back then. 

jHevh80.jpg

#76 vaiomaniac

vaiomaniac

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
  • LocationBronnoysund, Norway

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:17

The only main difference is the accents both actresses are british and having spent a little to much time in the uk I can easily recognize that their dialects are slightly different from each other.

The new Zoe sounds like a London girl while the old Zoe sounds like she is from some other part of england not sure where but the I can clearly tell the difference If i compare the voices.

#77 ostubash

ostubash

Fringe Café Regular

• Drachkin
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationWashington, D.C.

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:21

I'd say the first half hour or so, it was really hard not to zone in on how different her voice was from the old Zoe. I couldn't help but feel something was off only because I was comparing it to her old voice.

That didn't last long though. I love the new voice actress and I'm well used to it now. She really fits Zoe well.

• Tina likes this

#78 Mr Moo

Mr Moo

Harbinger of the Balance

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2096 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:30

Loved the new Zoë from the very start. Voice included. :D

And yes, I have played TLJ and Dreamfall before, lots of times, including a recent Dreamfall play through. In English. :P

#79 TheDreamer

TheDreamer

Arcadia Native

• Vestrum
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:40

Im almost used to the new actress, but she has this annoying habit where she sort of ends each sentence with this "snobish" sounding intonation. Its hard to explain, but Its annoying me how arrogant it sounds.

Its minor though.

#80 Nertez

Nertez

Rubber Ducky

• Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationBratislava, Slovakia, EU

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:50

Her voice really grown on me already. And yes - she sounds bit too arrogant, but well... it's not bad.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: voice actress, zoe, zoë, Ellie Conrad Leigh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users